British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Charlotte (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-charlotte-602713/)

Firqin Apr 9th 2009 2:52 pm

Moving to Charlotte

Hi
time is moving on and we are only 4 months away from our move now. I have been lurking in the background picking up loads of good tips so thank you all even though you don't know you helped me!! Anyway my question is...based on your experiences of moving over is it better to send our stuff over at the last minute and do with out for 4-6 weeks in the USA or send our stuff over 4-weeks before we fly out and make do in the UK? We should have a house, either rented or purchased, by the time we get out there so any advice appreciated.

Englishtart Apr 9th 2009 3:13 pm

Re: Moving to Charlotte

Originally Posted by Firqin (Post 7466448)
Hi
time is moving on and we are only 4 months away from our move now. I have been lurking in the background picking up loads of good tips so thank you all even though you don't know you helped me!! Anyway my question is...based on your experiences of moving over is it better to send our stuff over at the last minute and do with out for 4-6 weeks in the USA or send our stuff over 4-weeks before we fly out and make do in the UK? We should have a house, either rented or purchased, by the time we get out there so any advice appreciated.

If it were me, I would send your household goods ahead first, make sure your moving company will store it in the US for you if it gets here before you. You probably have family/friends that will help you out in the UK for your last few weeks, so more opportunity for kipping with them, much cheaper than paying out hotel bills here while waiting on your stuff.

Unless of course you have an employer paying the bills. Good luck:)

goatherder Apr 9th 2009 3:35 pm

I believe you have to be physically in the US on the day it clears customs otherwise it needs to be stored in a bonded warehouse until you do arrive (and that costs $). Depending on how you are sending it you may end up with 3 - 4 weeks in the US without your stuff anyway. Our items should have arrived in Philly yesterday and we where told around 2 weeks to get it to us in NJ.

rebs Apr 9th 2009 4:50 pm

Hi

I guess it's a personal decision, but when we moved out last July we asked ourselves where would it be least inconvenient to be without all our stuff.

For us, that was in the US. In the UK, both myself & my husband were working full time and our son was in school. Here in the US only hubby would be working and son would be on school holidays.

Plus, we found it easier/cheaper to get a few basics here to tide us over - cheap beds/sofa few kitchen bits etc. We essentially 'camped out' in our house here for a few weeks - not too long only about 3 or 4 weeks so quite tolerable. I think I would have found it harder to manage doing that in the UK along with us all at work/school.

The Horticulturalist Apr 9th 2009 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by goatherder (Post 7466566)
I believe you have to be physically in the US on the day it clears customs otherwise it needs to be stored in a bonded warehouse until you do arrive (and that costs $). Depending on how you are sending it you may end up with 3 - 4 weeks in the US without your stuff anyway. Our items should have arrived in Philly yesterday and we where told around 2 weeks to get it to us in NJ.

That's correct about you needing to be there, but it takes about 6 weeks or more so you can send it ahead if you plan it correctly, the shipping company shoudl be able to advise you of the date that the ship will dock in the POE.

We sent our stuff off about 3 weeks before we left, we spent a week in a half empty house in London, then the farewell holiday for two weeks with our parents.
our stuff arrived at our door about 3 weeks after we did, though it arrived in the USA about 2 weeks before that.

Bob Apr 9th 2009 9:39 pm

Whatever you decide, it won't time well, so bring a can and beer opener because it's a bit of a bugger moving into a new place and realising you've got sod all things to open that drink etc and then have to go out and find it in a rush...

Sue Apr 11th 2009 2:57 pm

Hi

We came ahead of our belongings and managed okay. The electrical stuff you will need to buy when you get here anyway, as UK TV's wont' work over here. The rest you can just make do with a few temproary solutions, eg: purchase a couple of air beds, and you could used paper cups and plates etc, and plastic knives and forks.

If you are looking to buy second hand stuff craigslist is a great place to find stuff.