British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving a cat from UK to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-cat-uk-usa-848774/)

NickyLouise Dec 13th 2014 7:19 pm

Moving a cat from UK to USA

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site having moved from Warrington UK to Loveland Colorado 6 weeks ago with my husband's job. So far we are enjoying it but I'm always waiting for the black cloud of homesickness to kick in! Anyway I wanted to start a thread about moving my cat over here with us. Before we left the UK I searched endlessly for advice about bringing her and promised myself that once we all got here safely I'd share my experience.

We don't yet have children so Domino, my 15 year old DSH cat is my furry baby. When we discovered we were going to relocate there was no question about leaving her behind. Her age was a major factor and I was told many times that I shouldn't bring her, too old, stressful etc.. But I was determined that so long as she was with us, she would be okay. I researched all the Pet travel companies that arrange everything, shipping, paperwork, cattery boarding where necessary etc..but after lots of research I discovered that some airlines allow small pets to travel in cabin with us.

To cut a very long story short, we flew with Lufthansa via Frankfurt to Denver. Domino was allowed to travel in cabin with us (under the seat in front in a carrier). She of course needed her pet passport, up to date microchip, rabies vaccination and fit to fly certificate. As the rules regarding moving animals between countries have been relaxed over the years, it certainly means the process can be much more straight forward than it used to be.

She travelled brilliantly, she slept through most of the flight (I think she was more annoyed at me checking her every 5 minutes!) and since we arrived in Colorado, she has taken to her new life really well.

I just wanted to reassure anyone thinking about flying with their pet in cabin that it really can be quite a simple process. If anyone has any questions or queries about it then feel free to contact me. I would also highly recommend Lufthansa as they were most helpful throughout the whole process.

Jerseygirl Dec 13th 2014 7:53 pm

Re: Moving a cat from UK to USA

Hi and welcome to BE.

Warrington...I know it well. My sister has lived in Warrington since the late '70s...she was a high school teacher there for many years. It's a little different from Colorado. :D

thinbrit Dec 13th 2014 7:56 pm

Thank you for sharing your story.

I brought my 14 year old cat with me from Lancashire, she lived out the rest of her years here on the ranch until she was almost 22. She is buried in the back pasture, with 2 horses, another cat, and a dog. I'm glad I brought her, she enjoyed ruling the roost, and we had many good years together.

Mrs Danvers Dec 14th 2014 2:32 am

Thanks for the story. My boyfriend moved his mothers cats from Tampa to Denver using United. As there were two they went as cargo. They did very well. One cat is three, the other was thirteen. The apprehension was worse than the move itself.