British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving Cat and Dog with us to NY (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-cat-dog-us-ny-880895/)

Perky74 Jul 24th 2016 3:11 pm

Moving Cat and Dog with us to NY

Hi everyone

We are due to move to NY with my husband's job. We will probably live in NJ and he will commute into the city. We have a much loved dog and cat and would want to move them with us. Does anyone have any experience of moving pets to the US. Do they have to go into quarantine? Is it possible to go into a rental with a pets? Any idea how much it would cost?

Thanks in advance.

Nutmegger Jul 24th 2016 3:21 pm

Re: Moving Cat and Dog with us to NY

Originally Posted by Perky74 (Post 12010860)
Hi everyone

We are due to move to NY with my husband's job. We will probably live in NJ and he will commute into the city. We have a much loved dog and cat and would want to move them with us. Does anyone have any experience of moving pets to the US. Do they have to go into quarantine? Is it possible to go into a rental with a pets? Any idea how much it would cost?

Thanks in advance.

If you use the search function, you will find lots of recent threads on the topic, such as this one:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...ations-878516/

No, there is no quarantine at this end. However, your pet should be up to date on rabies shots (check which type of vaccine NJ mandates), be vaccinated against Lyme disease, and on heartworm protection. Rentals will depend on the policy of the owner of the specific building, but be prepared to pay an extra security deposit against pet damage.

Pulaski Jul 24th 2016 3:22 pm

No quarantine, but they must be upto date on their rabies shots - check if the state you're going to needs a "live" vaccine, some do, so you need to make sure they have the right one.

Cost - around £1,500-£2,000 each if you have a company coordinate it for you, maybe around half that if you do all the arrangements yourself.

Be aware that dogs are not commonly allowed to run free in the US and that many cat owners don't allow their cats outside at all, and that allowing cats outside at night can be especially dangerous. Risks to cats include hawks, vultures, coyotes (even in relatively urbanized areas), rattle snakes and copperheads, and local yobs who apparently delight in deliberately running over animals in the road. :blink:

Renting with pets is going to make it tougher, but not impossible. I would focus on looking at private landlords (start at postlets.com) because they are usually more willing and able to negotiating variations to lease terms.

Elliecat Jul 29th 2016 6:45 pm

Hi We have just relocated from the UK to Maine (May 2016) with 3 cats and 2 dogs. I used PetAir and cannot recommend them highly enough. As I have posted on other sites they are not cheap but well worth it for their welfare and my piece of mind. We flew Heathrow to Boston and everyone travelled really well and settled in immediately. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I'll gladly help.

CorinnaCrackles Jul 30th 2016 1:39 pm

Hey.
I am literally in the process right now of moving my two cats over here. From Manchester airport to Atlanta airport. I am using PBS pets. It has costed 890 all together. That includes the airline approved kennels, all the paperwork stuff and customs stuff. It is possible to do it on your own for less. Find an airline that flies pets. I know PBS use delta. But then theres so much leg work and so much involved. The airline can only book them in, they're not going to be able to give you a list of everything you need. I tried to do it on my own and the customs stuff got so confusing I thought, sod it! And found PBS. They have been so helpful and eased all my concerns about the flight. They are in a pressure controlled area (also temp controlled) of the plane and the airline approved crates are massive! They have one short stop in NJ where they are let out to use a litter tray and stuff. They also have water attached to their kennels. I can let you know on Tuesday how it has all gone.

Hope this helps,
Corinna

evelyne Aug 9th 2016 4:10 pm

Back in January, I flew with my 2 pug dogs from Heathrow to JFK with Lufthansa (on an ESTA as I didn't have my residence visa at the time). I flew with them myself - one of the dogs as hand luggage (sitting next to me the whole time like a pro flyer!) and the other down in the hold. It only cost about 150 euro for each dog, and the whole process was really easy and stress free. Lufthansa provided an amazing service, the crew gave me updates on my dog that was in the hold, assuring me that the pilot has checked the temperature to make sure it was ok for the dog. Since it's Lufthansa, the flight was via Munich, so not direct to JFK.
One week prior to leaving the UK, I took both dogs to the vet for a check up, got their certificate to fly, their vaccinations, and their pet passports. No problems at all on arrival, customs at JFK barely glanced at the pugs, just a quick check of their papers and off I went! Definitely recommend doing the process yourself and saving money!