British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to California (San Jose) on L1 - need some advise please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-california-san-jose-l1-need-some-advise-please-923934/)

dobsat Apr 7th 2019 3:27 pm

Moving to California (San Jose) on L1 - need some advise please

Hello Chaps,

I have been through multiple useful threads here but still need some details on my move, appreciate the help in advance.

1- Can I get a driving license before I receive the SSN card?
2- I have already got lease quotes from International AutoSource but wondering about the VW expat program now? did anyone try the VW one, what are the offered APR's (rates) on the loan program? This is where I am really struggling, I can't decide whether I should go with Int.Auto. or just go there rent for a week or two and see dealerships?

Thanks,

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 7th 2019 3:32 pm

Re: Moving to California (San Jose) on L1 - need some advise please

1. It takes longer to get a DL than a SSN.

Hotscot Apr 7th 2019 4:26 pm

Who you going to work for, and what type of position?
Actually moving to $$$ San Jose or just working there?
You have accommodation sorted?
You are under no obligation to answer this.
I'm just, friendly, curious
It all adds to the body of knowledge.

I came with Adobe. No intention of staying. That was 20 years ago. Still stuck here.

Car, I ordered from I.A. before I came over. Even got a limited edition Ford Focus that came with a mountain bike and carrier.
I rented for a couple of weeks until they could deliver via a local dealer. Factory pricing more or less. Still miss that car.

Regarding the DL. There's no pressure/rush/benefit to getting one fast. (As far as I know. Possible issue with some insurance companies maybe.)

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 7th 2019 4:31 pm

CA only gives new resident 10 days to get a DL, so depends to what extent OP needs to drive.

Hotscot Apr 7th 2019 4:39 pm

Technically yes. I took five years with no issues. Insurance knew.
As far as I know there's no penalty for not doing so.
YMMV.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 7th 2019 4:49 pm

Hmm, well CA is a Sanctuary State so perhaps they do not bother. Makes you wonder why they have not repealed the requirement.

Hotscot Apr 7th 2019 4:54 pm

You're correct. There's a lot of laws things they don't bother about.
Seems to increase taxes though.

Pulaski Apr 7th 2019 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12667209)
CA only gives new resident 10 days to get a DL, so depends to what extent OP needs to drive.

That timescale is wildly unrealistic for a new immigrant, mostly because of the delay in being able to take the road test. Get started by registering for the road test and taking the written (computer based) test, and carry evidence that you are doing what you can to get yor license ASAP, and you should be OK even if stopped by the police.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 7th 2019 6:15 pm

Immigrant or new resident, seems so many Laws are set up so they can get you if they want to.

So fingers crossed time.