British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   moving to CA inbetween school terms (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-ca-inbetween-school-terms-681877/)

funkybubbles Aug 19th 2010 11:51 am

moving to CA inbetween school terms

We are aiming to move to CA by or in Nov,the Xmas school term ends in Dec so how long can my children not go to school out there without me getting into trouble?

Englishtart Aug 19th 2010 12:37 pm

Re: moving to CA inbetween school terms

Originally Posted by funkybubbles (Post 8787774)
We are aiming to move to CA by or in Nov,the Xmas school term ends in Dec so how long can my children not go to school out there without me getting into trouble?

You should probably contact the school district and ask the question directly. There are so many different rules/regulations here, they can vary just by County.

They are very strict about attendance in schools here though, at least that has been our experience (in 5 diff' States) Here in SC, we got a note home yesterday saying that if our son isn't in this one particular class for at least 95% of the classes given, he will not get a final grade:blink:

lisa67 Aug 19th 2010 1:42 pm

In our school district the semesters can straddle school holidays and it might be better to put your kids in school for a few days before the Xmas vacation to get them used to the school system then they'll have a break before they tackle it properly.
What grades will they be going into??

Prof_Yaffel Aug 19th 2010 5:11 pm

Hi

We moved to Ca at the end of october last year and kept out 8 year old out of school until the new year term started in Jan. It wasn't a problem with the local authority, or at least they didn't say anything when we registered him
We kept him out because we were in temp accommodation and didn't want him to have to change schools in such a short time while we were looking for a house to buy. We did get some books from Borders, based around the curriculum, so he would know what to expect

Cape Blue Aug 19th 2010 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8787874)
You should probably contact the school district and ask the question directly. There are so many different rules/regulations here, they can vary just by County.

They are very strict about attendance in schools here though, at least that has been our experience (in 5 diff' States) Here in SC, we got a note home yesterday saying that if our son isn't in this one particular class for at least 95% of the classes given, he will not get a final grade:blink:

How does that correlate with the higher amount of home-schooling that goes on in the US?

funkybubbles Aug 19th 2010 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8787874)

Hiya
Thanks for the reply....tracked down the number for the school district office so will check it out.
:)

funkybubbles Aug 19th 2010 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8787992)
In our school district the semesters can straddle school holidays and it might be better to put your kids in school for a few days before the Xmas vacation to get them used to the school system then they'll have a break before they tackle it properly.
What grades will they be going into??

Thanks for the reply

I think this would be a good idea to put them in for a few days,thanks:)
Going to contact Pleasanton school district offices to to check it out.
We have a 12 yr old,6 yr old ( 7 in JAN ) and nearly 5 yr old (NOV)
Lisa

funkybubbles Aug 19th 2010 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Prof_Yaffel (Post 8788322)
Hi

We moved to Ca at the end of october last year and kept out 8 year old out of school until the new year term started in Jan. It wasn't a problem with the local authority, or at least they didn't say anything when we registered him
We kept him out because we were in temp accommodation and didn't want him to have to change schools in such a short time while we were looking for a house to buy. We did get some books from Borders, based around the curriculum, so he would know what to expect

Hi
Thanks for the reply....It's good to hear it wasn't a problem :)
I like the idea of maybe sending them for maybe a week before they break up just to meet others etc....
We are going to rent possibly be in hotel for 3 mth whilst we find a rental.....they seem to be snapped up fast:rolleyes:

Lisa

Mummy in the foothills Aug 19th 2010 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by funkybubbles (Post 8788558)
Thanks for the reply

I think this would be a good idea to put them in for a few days,thanks:)
Going to contact Pleasanton school district offices to to check it out.
We have a 12 yr old,6 yr old ( 7 in JAN ) and nearly 5 yr old (NOV)
Lisa

Our term straddles the Christmas holiday (sorry they call it winter break here :lol:) and the term ends some where in January.
the almost 5 may not be in Kindergarten till next school year depending on when their cut off is, ours is November 31st so chances are he'd be youngest in class.
God luck with the move :thumbup:

Prof_Yaffel Aug 19th 2010 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by funkybubbles (Post 8788563)
Hi
Thanks for the reply....It's good to hear it wasn't a problem :)
I like the idea of maybe sending them for maybe a week before they break up just to meet others etc....
We are going to rent possibly be in hotel for 3 mth whilst we find a rental.....they seem to be snapped up fast:rolleyes:

Lisa

Actually , I think we sent ours for a couple of days at the end of the xmas term, it definately helps. Just remember to bring all immunisation records with you for the kids, they have to be checked before they are allowed to start school. Can't remember exactly which are required but if they haven't had chicken pox ( or documented evidence of ...we had a picture ) they will need the chicken pox jab which isn't normally given in the UK

Sally Redux Aug 19th 2010 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Prof_Yaffel (Post 8788787)
Actually , I think we sent ours for a couple of days at the end of the xmas term, it definately helps. Just remember to bring all immunisation records with you for the kids, they have to be checked before they are allowed to start school. Can't remember exactly which are required but if they haven't had chicken pox ( or documented evidence of ...we had a picture ) they will need the chicken pox jab which isn't normally given in the UK

The 12-year-old may need Hep B. vaccination.

ian-mstm Aug 19th 2010 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 8788531)
How does that correlate with the higher amount of home-schooling that goes on in the US?

Virtually everyone who homeschools must get permission from the local Board of Education to do it - and that means that not only must the home curriculum be approved, the parent/teacher must also be qualified to instruct. That doesn't mean the parent/teacher must have a degree or other qualification expected at a public school, but the parent/teacher must be competent to instruct, explain concepts, correct errors, grade papers, turn in progress report, and turn in attendance records!

Ian

Mummy in the foothills Aug 20th 2010 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Prof_Yaffel (Post 8788787)

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8788804)
The 12-year-old may need Hep B. vaccination.

Vaccines are recommended not not required here. you can sign off on the back of the big blue paper in their file if you don't want to do any or some. They will inform you that your child will be excluded from school should there be an outbreak of anything that they aren't vaxed for.

Englishtart Aug 20th 2010 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 8788531)

I said they were strict...didn't say they are all good;)

penguinsix Aug 20th 2010 11:36 am

For kids in younger grades, I don't really think 'terms' or 'semesters' really apply as much. There isn't that much of a break in their educational calendar such that it would make much of a difference. Older students, from about junior high to high school may have classes that rotate on a semester schedule (i.e. art one semester, music the next) or something like that. I'd also note that many schools do not use Christmas as the break in term--it comes a bit later in January. Best to contact your school district directly.

Academically I don't think they'll have much of a problem jumping in halfway, and I don't think you'll run into any truancy law violations if it is just for a short period of time. Socially, you might actually want them to get into the school sooner rather than later. Give them a bit of a time to adjust before the Christmas holidays, when kids have some parties, and a week off in which to be social outside of the school setting. Just a thought.

Technically vaccines are required, but it's a bit hollow legally as California has some of the most lenient waiver policies in the country and some of the worst vaccination rates in the nation as well (especially in Marin and Sonoma Counties). For immigration purposes you will need the shots, unless you go through a slightly complicated waiver process, and then basically only for religious reasons (not the 'personal belief' exemption that many use in California).

It's to the point that in some schools in California the majority have not received their shots. I believe the school administration officials can provide you with the overall immunization rate for your school if you desire, or you can view it online here: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/immu...RateTable1.pdf

More here:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/immu...iaSchools.aspx

There is currently an outbreak of whooping cough that has killed seven infants in California and still considered an epidemic. Children usually get the shots for that between 2-6 months, but there is a booster at age 11 many parents forget about so you might want to check with the NHS before you leave.