Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to CA

Moving to CA

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to CA

Originally Posted by LauraCA
Thanks for the welcome. Any help would be really handy as it is all happening pretty soon!

1. What is the timeline?
Our L1/L2 Visa interview is on April 12th, then assuming that's all fine (husband's company has a blanket L1 - but any tips?) we'll fly out mid to late May
2. Where in CA?
South of LA (north OC) is the area we're looking at
3. Are you planning on returning to the UK?
Yes. The initial transfer period is for 2 years
4. Do you have an Amex card
No
5. Are you planning on buying a vehicle when you first get to CA?
Yes - 2 probably!
6. Does the company transfer involve a large scale relocation package?
I guess that "large scale" is a pretty personal thing, but they are covering a hotel for the first month, some relocation cash and rent/car expenses for the duration of our stay.
7. Have you visited the area you're going to?
Yes. We stayed with a friend there last year
I'm in south Orange County, let me know if I can provide you with any info. There's a nice English pub in Fullerton!!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:40 am
Just Joined

LauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really nice

Thanks again folks

The company will also be paying for my EAD, so that's good!

Now we're looking at apartment listings. Are there any hidden fees with renting apartments, or is the monthly rental price quoted usually what you'll pay?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:24 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again folks

Now we're looking at apartment listings. Are there any hidden fees with renting apartments, or is the monthly rental price quoted usually what you'll pay?
Utilities. Ask for average utilities; you will also have to purchase renter's insurance to cover your belongings. They may also charge extra for, say, covered parking.

If you rent rather than buy, this can affect your credit applications, so GET THE AMEX!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:33 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again folks

Utilities, as mentioned. Electric, Gas (stove, heat, water), and water are three you might get. Telephone, CableTV, Internet are three you'll likely have to pay for regardless.

Renters insurance, if required (but good idea even if not)

Parking

Credit Check fee (if they run one)

Application fee (if big apartment building)

Expect to pay 1st months rent, a deposit (equal to last months rent). A few ask for last months rent in addition (which sucks) but can be 3 months all at once--a bit of an effort.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:07 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again folks

Keep your credit cards and UK bank accounts. Once you have a place to live and a couple of pay cheques you can get US accounts and cards. Can your husband's company help with this stuff, ask if they have a Credit Union ( a bank just for employees) where you can get an account.

Orange County, well for apartments I was going to suggest Craigslist.com, but I'm not sure they allow that sort of bohemian thing in the OC......
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

LauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really nice

I'll be sure to ask about those things.

As for getting an AMEX, we've been looking into it and they do two types - the ordinary credit card, and their traditional charge card.
Does it matter which type we get?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:36 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

As for getting an AMEX, we've been looking into it and they do two types - the ordinary credit card, and their traditional charge card.
Does traditional charge card = pay in full every time, ordinary credit card = allowed to carry a balance?

I'd get the latter.... creditors like to see you pay off over time even if it's a token amount.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE, I think you will love it here, great weather for a start.

Hi all, I'm new here!

My husband and I will be moving to CA soon from London on an L1 visa that his company have applied for.

Its all pretty overwhelming looking at all of the different things we'll need to know about, and I've spent a lot of time looking through this forum so thought I'd say Hi.

I'm sure I'll have a fair few questions over the coming weeks, but the first one is about UK banking stuff.

Can you keep your UK bank accounts and credit cards? We won't have any credit score in the US obviously, but will definitely need our credit cards to settle in. How does it all work?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Amex cards go a long way in regards to your FICO, I would suggest getting anyone. You should be able to upgrade later on.

Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again folks

watch out for the realtors finders fee if you went through someone...and as mentioned, the utilities, ask for average in summer for the electric, because you'll probably end up using a lot for AC...definitely check on the parking, and extra parking for guests..
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:11 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
watch out for the realtors finders fee if you went through someone...and as mentioned, the utilities, ask for average in summer for the electric, because you'll probably end up using a lot for AC...definitely check on the parking, and extra parking for guests..
You know your husband's company should be helping you with housing costs etc.
are they providing you with relocation expenses and advice?

It's probably best to stay in a short term place for a month or two while you look around for somewhere you'd like to live. I checked out Craigslist LA and unfortunately the number of listings in the OC is pretty small.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

You should also ask your husband's company if they have any association with a credit union. The first time I relocated over here the company employees had their own credit union which would give employees and their families credit cards with reasonable credit limits and low interest rates immediately they arrived in the US. They also offered loans/leases for cars etc without having to have a US credit history.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 4:44 am
Just Joined

rikkirby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We're moving to South OC later this month but have lived there before. A few things from our last experience:

UK Bank - Barclays were happy and able to send statements to our US address and keep our accounts open.

US Bank - We went with Wells Fargo and were able to get unsecured Credit Cards immediately which really helped build credit history. It doesn't take long!

House Rental - The landlord will expect a credit check, get one of the "free" Experian UK credit reports online, print it off and take it with you. They're only looking for your "score" and some proof of it, you'll get a numerical score and a chart going from Bad to Excellent. If you're a home owner over here then taking a mortgage statement might be useful too, I know our apartment complex wanted to see one in lieu of a landlord's reference.

Car Insurance - Expect it to be expensive! Make sure you get proof of any UK no claims discount before you leave, some US insurers will accept it which will make a BIG difference. We found www.progressive.com were quite helpful.

Car Loan - We found it really tough to get an auto loan while on a visa, eventually we were able to get the company to arrange one with it's bank which worked well.

All in all we loved it, spent two years there, moved back here for three and we're now moving back out there. It's a great place to live, but takes some getting used to! It's extremely disorienting when you first turn up, I'd been in the US a lot on business, but to move there.....blimey. For the first month everything is a challenge, and appears more expensive than you expected. Lots of silly things all add up, like standing in a supermarket looking at an aisle of washing liquid not knowing which one to pick. As a one off it would be easy, but when everything you try and do is different it can be a bit draining. Once you get through it, spend some time at the beach etc. then it gets much much better!!

Have fun!!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 10:32 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Philgr
You should also ask your husband's company if they have any association with a credit union. The first time I relocated over here the company employees had their own credit union which would give employees and their families credit cards with reasonable credit limits and low interest rates immediately they arrived in the US. They also offered loans/leases for cars etc without having to have a US credit history.
Absolutely. And these days belonging to a credit union is easier than ever as the rules regarding how tightly you have to be "associated" with them have been loosened.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

thanks again for all the tips!

Rikkirby - that info is really handy, thanks a lot! I can easily get a credit reference form and proof of our no claims on our car insurance. I assume I'll only do this for my husband as he'll be the only one with guaranteed income. We're renting out our UK property, so could bring the mortgage statements as well as proof that we're earning rental income.

I'm looking forward to the beach, definitely!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.