Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Minilove1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If I understand post #36 correctly, he applied in April (which certainly is when the applocation window is open) and recently found out that he was successful .... which seems a little late to me, as I thought most people were notified in May.
In all fairness, the company we are going to, has engineered all of our move, therefore our notifications have been sparse as opposed to theirs. We were aware that we had 'presumably' got through the lottery as the application required further information & processing. The nature of the business requires more clarification than a 'normal' move to business it seems. As the attorney is essentially working for the business we are going to, communication has been sparse (as they invariably must cover themselves) but we have been kept informed by the company.
I am expecting official documentation in the next few weeks to arrange to go to the US consulate in London for interviews etc.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Minilove1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to buffalo on husband's Hb1 visa with 15 year old: help please!

Originally Posted by fbf2006
You're notified you get through the lottery earlier, but the petition might just have gotten approved recently.
This is exactly right fbf2006!
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for clarifying Minilove.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:41 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

H-1B is not a "lottery" per se, it's first-come, first-served. Anyway assuming her husband got his I-129 approved, I think the best idea is for the daughter to stay in the UK until the GCSEs are finished. You can do the international baccalaureate, but it's not really practical to switch over halfway through the GCSEs.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
H-1B is not a "lottery" per se, it's first-come, first-served. Anyway assuming her husband got his I-129 approved, I think the best idea is for the daughter to stay in the UK until the GCSEs are finished. You can do the international baccalaureate, but it's not really practical to switch over halfway through the GCSEs.

Well yes technically it's first come, first served. But since most of the applications come on the first day that they are due and the applications are more than the maximum allowed, they all go through a lottery. So to those that have to go through it, it's essentially a lottery.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The IB Diploma follows on from the GCSE's. The IB diploma is loosely based on the british curriculum so it's an easy transition.

Pre-IB courses are offered in the USA as prep for the IB diploma but each school district sets the curriculum for the Pre-IB classes.
So, for the OP's daughter, if she joined halfway through the year, then you'd have no guarantee at all that the GCSE course would match the Pre-IB one.

I think we have all agreed that waiting until the GCSE's are done is the best way forward for her.

The daughter with an H4 visa will qualify for in-state University tuition rates provided the residency requirements are met. Financial aid may be the tricky part though and she won't be allowed to work. She should also qualify for domestic UK university rates.

If the family get greencards, then it is unlikely that she will get domestic UK rates and if she wishes to remain in the USA then it may be better if she gets a US degree.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
If the family get greencards, then it is unlikely that she will get domestic UK rates and if she wishes to remain in the USA then it may be better if she gets a US degree.
We checked for our son: the rules say that you have to have been a UK legal permanent resident for the last three years.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:58 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

The daughter with an H4 visa will qualify for in-state University tuition rates provided the residency requirements are met. Financial aid may be the tricky part though and she won't be allowed to work. She should also qualify for domestic UK university rates.

From our recent experience and research into university tuition:

Regarding the in-state tuition rates I think this depends on the university/college as I know that Penn State University only treats holders of an I-551 (physical green card or stamp in passport) for US resident fees, all other non-immigrant visa holders are treated as international students. With a non-immigrant visa with an expiry date it is possible to get domestic UK university tuition as my elder son did that, though some hoops would still need to be jumped through to achieve it.

My younger son should have his GC by the time he applies to universities so he will get US resident (in or out of state depending on where he applies) here in the USA, but would be treated as an international student in the UK.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
We checked for our son: the rules say that you have to have been a UK legal permanent resident for the last three years.
True but we have had members whose children have been away from the UK on their parent's temp visa. They have been able to get UK resident fees as their stay was not deemed permanent. Once they have a GC they are perm US residents.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 23rd 2017 at 6:31 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 6:26 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
the wording is actually "ordinarily" resident. This means that you may be living elsewhere temporarily so your permanent residence is actually the UK.

If you are living in the US on a temporary visa, such as L1/L2 or H1b then your ordinary residence is the UK. That has been established many times over and from lots of different countries.

From what I've read, most H4 visa holders manage to get in-state tuition but can't work and don't qualify for financial aid/scholarships. Switching to F1 allows the student to work in some circumstances but runs the risk of having to pay international fees.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 6:43 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read, most H4 visa holders manage to get in-state tuition but can't work and don't qualify for financial aid/scholarships. Switching to F1 allows the student to work in some circumstances but runs the risk of having to pay international fees.
H4 visa holders are SOL at Penn State then
Penn State Admissions Information for International Students - Undergraduate Admissions

I'm glad not all universities are so inflexible.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 6:49 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by lizzyq
H4 visa holders are SOL at Penn State then
Penn State Admissions Information for International Students - Undergraduate Admissions

I'm glad not all universities are so inflexible.
goodness, not even an L2 would be in-state there.