Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to buffalo on husband's H1b visa with 15 year old.

Moving to buffalo on husband's H1b visa with 15 year old.

Old Aug 15th 2017, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Minilove1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to buffalo on husband's H1b visa with 15 year old.

Hi all,
We are currently at the end of the visa process, of a move to america(off our own backs, not with a UK company) & I'm struggling to find answers/advice on available options for my 15 year olds educational needs, as she would be sitting GCSE's starting May 2018, but the move would happen by the end of this year. I have looked into home schooling/private tutoring and coming back to UK to sit exams, but this doesn't seem an option as they would only be able to accommodate her in english and maths (as they say you could argue they are pretty generic) but nothing else.
I've looked around the forums & as much as there is lots of great info, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm missing something or some option somewhere? It can't be this hard, surely? Thousands of people must have done this kind of move with GCSE age kids, or is it just too difficult at this age to integrate into the US system, that they have stayed behind with said children until they have completed GCSE's?
I really don't want to split our family up for 8/9 months until me and my daughter could join my husband, it seems such a nightmare!🤔 I'm hoping you lovely people can help me out?!
Just to clarify, this will be a life move, not temporary & green cards will be being applied for as soon as we get out there as I'm aware they can take an age. The aim is for dual citizenship, but I'm also aware there's a long way to go yet.
Thanks in anticipation😁
Minnie
Old Aug 15th 2017, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to buffalo on husband's H1b visa with 15 year old.

Originally Posted by Minilove1
Just to clarify, this will be a life move, not temporary & green cards will be being applied for as soon as we get out there as I'm aware they can take an age. The aim is for dual citizenship, but I'm also aware there's a long way to go yet.
I hope you have the offer of green card sponsorship in writing... because you won't believe how many people have been burned - and some badly - when they got to the US and the company decided to sit on it for 4 or 5 years... and then change their mind.

As for your daughter - I'm not sure what her options are... but I'm sure someone knows and will be along shortly to respond.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Aug 15th 2017 at 5:01 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to buffalo on husband's H1b visa with 15 year old.

Originally Posted by Minilove1
Hi all,
We are currently at the end of the visa process, of a move to america(off our own backs, not with a UK company) & I'm struggling to find answers/advice on available options for my 15 year olds educational needs, as she would be sitting GCSE's starting May 2018, but the move would happen by the end of this year. I have looked into home schooling/private tutoring and coming back to UK to sit exams, but this doesn't seem an option as they would only be able to accommodate her in english and maths (as they say you could argue they are pretty generic) but nothing else.
I've looked around the forums & as much as there is lots of great info, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm missing something or some option somewhere? It can't be this hard, surely? Thousands of people must have done this kind of move with GCSE age kids, or is it just too difficult at this age to integrate into the US system, that they have stayed behind with said children until they have completed GCSE's?
I really don't want to split our family up for 8/9 months until me and my daughter could join my husband, it seems such a nightmare!� ���� I'm hoping you lovely people can help me out?!
Thanks in anticipation� ����
Minnie

Please do not open duplicate threads.

The OP's earlier thread can be found here...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...please-901678/

Thread closed.