Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brooklyn from London massive overwhelm

Moving to Brooklyn from London massive overwhelm

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

SophieH72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brooklyn from London massive overwhelm

hi. I hope this is the right place to post. I found out this morning that it looks very likely that we will be moving to NYC in the summer. Husband had job in Greenpoint Brooklyn. We have two sons aged 15 (GCSE’s) next year and 8. They are at private school here
we will have a salary of around $200k.
I do not know where to start. That’s not enough to contemplate private school in nyc. We think we want to live in Brooklyn as commuting to NJ is over 1 1/2 hrs each way. We have a dog and a cat we want to bring. We would be out there a minimum of 2-3 years. ANY advice please? My 15 y old and where to live are biggest concerns. I’m completely freaked out and have no sense of the excitement bit yet. 😱
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 11:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brooklyn from London massive overwhelm

Will this be an intercompany transfer for your husband? It helps to know what visa he'll be getting. If transfer, its an L visa. Can you confirm?

Rene
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

SophieH72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rene

its an E2 visa?

Thanks so much for replying...

Old Mar 23rd 2019, 12:25 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the potential move! Having moved with a 16 year old and a 14 year old I would highly recommend looking at ways for your 15 year old to remain in the UK and take his GCSEs. Once he has been awarded the grades thet can be parlayed into US GPA/credits. Where will your sons be going to university? If in the USAand on a non-immigrant visa they will almost certainly be treated as foreign students with extra costs and restrictions. Our elder son went back to the UK for uni, our younger one started this year over here as we gained our green cards in the interim. None of this is insurmountable but forewarned is forearmed and needs planning for.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 12:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could the older ones board?
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 12:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Could the older one board?
I would seriously look into this (boarding), as moving him mid GCSE-A' Level, and then back again with a US high school diploma, is going to create two loads of headaches and stress. So long as you return to the UK in time for your 8 year old to settle ahead of starting GCSE's he shouldn't have too many problems.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always interested in business aspects.
Can you elaborate on the E2 visa and type of business if it's not confidential?
It helps others by adding to the body of knowledge.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 3:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I'm always interested in business aspects.
Can you elaborate on the E2 visa and type ....
E-2 is a treaty trader visa for a British* citizen employed by a British company.

* Works for any country that has a tax treaty with the US, but the home country of the employer must be theasier same as the citizenship of the employee.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

You could just say no...
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

There were Boarders at the school I went to, not many, but thinking about it most were in situations like this.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by tom169
You could just say no...
There have been a few, very few, cases on BE, where the husband takes the posting and the family stays home. In the event that the posting becomes long-term/ permanent the wife and follow when the children leave school. Family can follow on until they are 21 anyway, (and maybe uni in the US?) and they get a cool location for holidays in the mean time.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There have been a few, very few, cases on BE, where the husband takes the posting and the family stays home. In the event that the posting becomes long-term/ permanent the wife and follow when the children leave school. Family can follow on until they are 21 anyway, (and maybe uni in the US?) and they get a cool location for holidays in the mean time.
I meant "you" as in the family unit as a whole.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

'but the home country of the employer must be theasier same '

That's a fantastic word, 'theasier' but I wouldn't mind a definition...
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Many do.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 8:02 pm

Understood. .... I was adding a third, halfway house alternative.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.