Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brooklyn from London massive overwhelm

Moving to Brooklyn from London massive overwhelm

Old Mar 23rd 2019, 8:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brooklyn from London massive overwhelm

Originally Posted by Hotscot
'but the home country of the employer must be theasier same '

That's a fantastic word, 'theasier' but I wouldn't mind a definition...
Theoretically easier, I suppose...
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 8:35 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome.

What are the plans for university for the older one? That may have a huge impact on your decision, especially as it relates to his fees at a UK university if he is overseas and classified as a "foreign student" (there are some complexities about this that others can answer better than I can).

You are getting quite a bit of advice about the possibility of boarding. I think I would second that as well. It's really something to consider unless you plan on a US university for you older one and want to get them adjusted to USA life.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hi and welcome.

What are the plans for university for the older one? That may have a huge impact on your decision, especially as it relates to his fees at a UK university if he is overseas and classified as a "foreign student" (there are some complexities about this that others can answer better than I can).
Number one son went back to the UK while I was still on the O-1 to go to Uni, and was deemed a domestic student, because he had no choice in the move, and the O-1 was technically only for three years.
Number two son could NOT go back - we were then on greencards, and he was deemed an international student. He ended up at New Mexico Tech, on a free ride, and is paying a lot less than his elder brother.

So, if you like the place, be careful about the timing of applying to stay ;-)

Steve

Old Mar 23rd 2019, 11:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
'but the home country of the employer must be theasier same '

That's a fantastic word, 'theasier' but I wouldn't mind a definition...
​​
Originally Posted by caretaker
Theoretically easier, I suppose...
For no obvious reason my phone has started taking the last 1-3 letters of the word I am typing and using them as the start of another random word, so in this case it took "the" and used the "e" to add "easier", sharing the "e".

I have no idea where "easier" cam​​​​​e from, it is not a word I was trying to type/use. Usually I catch the error, but that one I missed.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 23rd 2019 at 11:43 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but the letter is on the way to The Telegraph as we speak...
Old Mar 24th 2019, 7:39 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Desirable areas of Brooklyn for families include Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Williamsburg. I personally like Greenpoint, but there's a very large Polish community there who are quite closed and you might find it harder to make friends. Your 8 year old would be going into public elementary school according to where you're zoned for. I honestly have no idea where your older kid would go. You could try hiring an education consultant (a lot of people do) and one that I know who is well-established and reputable is NYC School Help I'm happy to help with any general questions about Brooklyn.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought education consultants were the ones that got you into College if your grades are not what they should be.

Assuming you do not have $70m like Dr Dre.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 12:23 am
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I thought education consultants were the ones that got you into College if your grades are not what they should be.

Assuming you do not have $70m like Dr Dre.
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if palms were being greased to get kids into their preferred public elementary school in NYC. It's total insanity.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 1:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if palms were being greased to get kids into their preferred public elementary school in NYC. It's total insanity.
That is what I thought, not something I follow, just seen a few stories.