Reload this Page >

Moving to Boston for work

Moving to Boston for work

Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:13 am
Just Joined

JayDub77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Boston for work

Originally Posted by Bob
Haha...I wouldn't worry about it, folks still call Worcester, Boston, and that takes imaginative drugs to even remotely make sense of that one

The coastal area is a lovely place to live, insurance tends to be higher, especially car insurance the closer to Boston, problem with the coast, gets a bit of a pounding with the weather, but the plus side is not to much snow, speaking of, if you rent, check to see the rental includes snow removal. It shouldn't be a deal breaker but it could be a deciding factor because nothing more than a bigger ball ache spending an hour chipping your car out of the parking spot only to have to do it again when you get back home.

Also, and this is pretty big bonus, check that the town does the rubbish pick up and if it doesn't, that the rental includes it, because some towns require you to use "town" bags to put your rubbish in, some require you buying stickers for a couple of bucks a sticker to put on the bags, some towns have no restrictions. Biggest pain in the arse having to take your own rubbish to the dump/transfer station, on a weekend, in the winter.

Some other towns, along Rt 126 and Rt27 tend to be really nice. Bellingham is quite cute, not sure about the schools, I wouldn't recommend going any further out than that though to be honest, because during the winter you can easily be doubling the commute times if it isn't on a major roadway/interstate.

Wrentham, the town is a shit hole, but they have an amazing and huge outlet mall, so that's a great place to do your shopping for cheap.

I know someone who commuted to Canton from Framingham, bit of a trek on Rt 27, but doable. Framingham is little Brazil, which shouldn't be bad, but the town is a shit hole, really nice parts to the north of the town though. Natick next door has fantastic school programs and loads of free things for little kids to do and same for the posher towns along that area.

Holliston and Sherborn are up Rt27....really nice towns, quiet though, but fab schools, still fairly doable to get into Boston and reasonable commutes down to Canton and the roads get cleared really well down that way. They even have nice town centres with shops, which is a bonus.

Another cool thing about the area in general, quite easy to get to Mendon, on Rt16, for the drive-in, which is awesome, $20 a car load of people for 2 movies, especially great when you've got a little one and it's a lot of fun in the summer....and it's not far from Milford, which is a shit town, but there's an amazing Italian deli, does the best homemade sausages around

Anyway, rule of thumb, anything inside I-95/93 will cost a fortune to rent, parking will be crazy pricey and car insurance will hurt. Outside of I-495 and things get into sensible pricing. Can get a 300 sq/ft studio in Havard Square for $3500 a month plus HOA fees down to a 1200 sq/ft 3 bedroom apartment out in Clinton for $1000. Somewhere in the middle, got mates renting a 2 bed apartment, with garden for $1950 a month. Craigslist and boston.com will be your friends

Oh, childcare can easily cost $1500 a month for a few part time days a month close to Boston.
Ha Ha brilliant Thanks so much for taking the time to give this feedback - the tips on rubbish collection, heating and snow removal have been golden and will definitely help as and when I start checking out properties.

I am definitely going to check out Holliston and Sherborn - they sound perfect. Much as I love the idea of being by the coast I think that could be out of the window if the commute is going to be really painful.

Thanks again Bob, really appreciate all the tips