Reload this Page >

Moving to Boston, MA...

Moving to Boston, MA...

Old Jul 13th 2015, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

jfb012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Boston, MA...

Hi All,

I'm moving to Boston, MA in September and have a couple of questions that I'd be keen to get your answers and opinions on.

As a bit of background on myself, I'm a 23 year old single guy who just qualified as an accountant at one of the Big 4 accounting firms.

I'm lucky enough to be moving with my company on secondment for a couple of a years so a lot of the hassle of visas, shipping, getting a car etc is being taken care of by various people contracted by my company.

However, I've got a couple of more specific questions that I'd be interested to get a British but local perspective on.

1. Where to live? I've had varying advice on this but the best places appear to be either Beacon Hill/Back Bay area or further out in the suburbs like Brookline or Somerville. I was wondering what people's experience of these places where or whether there is anywhere else I should be looking. My budget is around $2,000 a month, not sure how reasonable this is for those areas?

2. Having never lived in the US - can anyone recommend a decent mobile phone provider and internet/TV providers? Sport will be one of the main I'll watch so if any particular network is good for that, that's a big plus!

3. Sports teams/gym - I'm fairly keen footballer (soccer), having had a quick search, it seems the Bay State league seems to be the main one, was wondering if anyone had any experience of this and what the standard is like? Also quite keen on the gym, can anyone recommend a decent one? More interesting in the weights and lifting side then the cardio or classes!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old Jul 14th 2015, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

HandyNickerholes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Boston, MA...

Hello! Boston? I love the place. I have friends in the area, since my HQ office is close by and one or two of them are a similar age to yourself. Let me check on areas to live. There are plenty of choices of phone services - AT&T, T Mobile, etc. I'd suggest simply going to a Best Buy (Like Curry's) and getting signed up there. TV is going to be bundled with internet and possibly phone where you live, so you may not have much choice. Some providers are country-wide - like Comcast and AT&T - but some are regional. You'll pay for a package which includes FOX sports etc to get a wide range of sports (not just NFL, NHL, MLB etc)

There are hundred of types of gyms - cross fit is a popular one, but when you get here, check them out. My son uses one and negotiated a rate.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

sparkleandglitter is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm moving to Boston too! Great questions - I'll be watching the replies with interest.
My husband's going to Tufts for grad school, so we're looking in Medford and Somerville - apparently these are nice commuter areas, great for me as I'm going to be job hunting on arrival
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

$2K a month isn't much for downtown Boston, you'd probably spend that on parking.

Still, depending on what you're looking for and what kind of commute you're into, there are loads of options.

You'd get much better value for money heading to Jamaica Plains on the orange line, but Brookline and Somerville are nice. Look around Cambridge and that whole end of the red line around Davis/Porter Square.

Check out Boston Brits and MetreWest Brits on FB. BB meet up regularly and lots of decent advice there.

For phone, pick up any old crap PAYG for peanuts and use that for a few weeks till you figure out where you'll be living and spending time. AT&T or Verizon will be the main options, but will really depend on reception on where you will be.

TV/Internet, options will be what ever services the area, with Verizon FIOS or Comcast, with satellite options thrown in.

Footie is easy, loads of 5 a side and proper footie played around town by the imports and a good few leagues. Also a lot played by Brazilians in the burbs, but it's all organised stuff, you won't find pick up games at the park.

As for gyms, they're every where so figure that out when you find a place to live, plus you might get a discount from your medical insurance.

Other random things to consider when you're renting - Parking, off street and especially covered parking has biggest impact on reducing car insurance, but increases cost of rent. Considering it can cost $40 a day, you can get good savings paying in advance.

If you're on street parking, watch out for zoning rules, meaning your spot might not exist during the winter when you can only park on one side of the road or have limited hours/spaces.

Also might need a residence permit, which might not cost, but can also be expensive depending on area.

Rubbish collection, make sure it's included in the rent, other wise it'll depend on the location, which means either town pick up, a pay as you go town bag system, using a dump, or having private pick up with is around $30-50 a month.

Snow removal, it's a hassle if you've got to do it, especially the on street spot in front of the gaff, so it's worth checking that is included in the rent. Same for gardening. Usually less of a issue in condo complexes, but figure out when they will be contracted to come out. It's no good to you if the ploughs won't come out unless they're 3" of snow or that they won't get to you till 10 in the morning.

Commuter Charlie card gets expensive if you're out of the central zone and the green line tends to be iffy especially in winter, but red and blue are having quite a bit of work done at the moment.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

jfb012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks HandyNickerholes - be good to hear from some people around my own age!

sparkleandglitter - Haven't looked at Medford - think it's probably a bit far out for me as I'm working in the financial district and I'd prefer a commute under 30 minutes if possible. Somerville looks nice though!

Bob - thanks for the detailed response! I'm only looking at getting a 1 bed 1 bath place as it's just me, the guy from Dwellworks who is helping me out seemed to think that wouldn't be a problem - as long as it's fairly secure and clean I'm not that fussed to be honest! Davis Square was one of the places he's put on the list for us to check out so I will bear your recommendation in mind!

Thanks for the advice on the snow/rubbish etc! It's always the little things that you don't think about - though I'd like to think at my age I'd able to handle shoveling some snow but I guess if it's included I shouldn't complain!
Old Jul 14th 2015, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

sparkleandglitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bob - that's super useful info - that's the first thing I'd heard about the rubbish collections!
We're looking round Davis and Porter Square too.
Hope you find something nice jfb012!
Old Jul 14th 2015, 10:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jfb012

Bob - thanks for the detailed response! I'm only looking at getting a 1 bed 1 bath place as it's just me, the guy from Dwellworks who is helping me out seemed to think that wouldn't be a problem - as long as it's fairly secure and clean I'm not that fussed to be honest! Davis Square was one of the places he's put on the list for us to check out so I will bear your recommendation in mind!

Thanks for the advice on the snow/rubbish etc! It's always the little things that you don't think about - though I'd like to think at my age I'd able to handle shoveling some snow but I guess if it's included I shouldn't complain!
Thing is, I was talking about a one bed studio...you don't get much for your money in the back bay, but then again, anywhere around there and it's a 10 min walk to the financial district.

Which will be crap to do in the winter. Also the financial district is a bit of a ghost town come the evening and on weekends if you're looking to live there.

What will help is bunging in Tufts, MIT, Harvard and the hospitals like Boston Childrens, Brigham and Women's etc into something like padmapper.com and you'll find student/nurse/doctor type rentals and sublets, which would lower your cost but most of the rental stock opens up in the summer holidays and is gone come September when terms start again.

That first lot are all towards the end of the red line towards Alewife, which is a 15 min run into down town usually but with the works on the line if they're still going on, can take up to 45 mins in commuter hours as they bus you in.

The nicer places down town, you'll probably be on the hook for the realtor fee and that can be anything from 1-3 months worth of the rent plus first and last months rent up front, plus anything from 1-3 months rent as a deposit to secure the place. Won't have that issue with a sublet, but they wont' be as long term. You reduce that cost a lot by not being smack in the middle though.

I still think JP is a decent spot to check out and Northeastern Uni on the orange and green line is a good spot.

Davis Square is Tufts, Porter is up and coming next door and is actually quite nice and then Harvard is lovely and Kendall/MIT. That's where the Microsoft NERD office and the Brit Consulate are and there's a great bunch of brew houses in this area.

If you want a bit more apartment for your money and a young vibe, might want to check out Waltham. It's a bit more of a hike but you'll do much better for the money and it's a younger crowd with decent bus network and easy enough to get downtown and not all of it is a shitter, plus there are lots of Indian restaurants there as well as a few decent pubs.

If you're looking out to Brookline and that area, chuck in Chesnut Hill, it's a nice area, easy enough to get into town though Rt9/Boylston St is horrendous for a drive. Got a nice Wegmans though, for decent groceries and the like.