Moving to Boston from London - overwhelmed by the move

Moving to Boston from London - overwhelmed by the move

Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

azuredragonfly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Boston from London - overwhelmed by the move

Hi,

Happy New Year!

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am moving to Boston in 5 months to get married to an amazing man who is a USC, but while I am really looking forward to the wedding the idea of uprooting and starting again is really stressful.
I feel quite alone as I am doing the move alone but I know so many people do this all the time. I just feel like I don't know where to start. I have tried writing lists of things I have to do but it makes me feel dizzy. Has anyone else gone through this and what helped you make sense of it all and stay calm?
Also, does anyone have any tips for adjusting to life there?

Thanks so much.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Boston from London - overwhelmed by the move

I've got no specific tips since I moved way back with just 2 suit cases to my name. But welcome to Boston! I live a little North of the city - it's a very fun town.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hobbes79 View Post
I've got no specific tips since I moved way back with just 2 suit cases to my name. But welcome to Boston! I live a little North of the city - it's a very fun town.
Thanks for the welcome
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:06 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

My USC Wife struggled with the Wedding preparations (we Married in Scotland), she was the bride (obviously), but couldn't be 100% part of the preparation. I made sure to tell her everything, the time difference didn't help, but we did our lists via webcam, and a LOT of emails. It wasn't ideal, incredibly stressful, but there was no other way.

Why not ask a friend to help out with the lists you need. Or even a neighbour, someone not family-close to you. But make sure you keep your USC Fiance informed over every step.

I know it is very difficult to be the Bride or Groom and not be a huge part of the preparation.

There was often a delay in choosing details about the Wedding as I had to wait to hear back from my Wife.

But the most important thing, is that it all worked out in the end, and we had a wonderful Wedding

Once I settled here, I brought with me a lot of reminders from back home in England, I have pictures of local landmarks (Newcastle), and I have plenty of Newcastle United memorabilia around the house too. Before you leave, try and make sure your close friends and family have access to webcams, and programs like Skype. These are a godsend!

Last edited by Brucky; Jan 4th 2012 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brucky View Post
My USC Wife struggled with the Wedding preparations (we Married in Scotland), she was the bride (obviously), but couldn't be 100% part of the preparation. I made sure to tell her everything, the time difference didn't help, but we did our lists via webcam, and a LOT of emails. It wasn't ideal, incredibly stressful, but there was no other way.

Why not ask a friend to help out with the lists you need. Or even a neighbour, someone not family-close to you. But make sure you keep your USC Fiance informed over every step.

I know it is very difficult to be the Bride or Groom and not be a huge part of the preparation.

There was often a delay in choosing details about the Wedding as I had to wait to hear back from my Wife.

But the most important thing, is that it all worked out in the end, and we had a wonderful Wedding

Once I settled here, I brought with me a lot of reminders from back home in England, I have pictures of local landmarks (Newcastle), and I have plenty of Newcastle United memorabilia around the house too. Before you leave, try and make sure your close friends and family have access to webcams, and programs like Skype. These are a godsend!
Hi Brucky,
Thanks for this advice, yes organising a wedding long-distance is really difficult! I'm hoping it will all go well though!
Thanks for the advice on getting help with the lists and also skype, I am trying to get my family set up with that.

All the best

Ps I'm from Whitley Bay
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:27 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by azuredragonfly View Post
Hi Brucky,
Thanks for this advice, yes organising a wedding long-distance is really difficult! I'm hoping it will all go well though!
Thanks for the advice on getting help with the lists and also skype, I am trying to get my family set up with that.

All the best

Ps I'm from Whitley Bay
Haha, class, I'm from North Shields.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it....should be a good time to move, just towards the end of the shit weather, before it becomes shit weather again

Anyway, check out facebook, there's a really busy and active Boston Brits meet up group as well as a North Shore group, as well as a slightly less busy Southshore/Quincy group.

Loads of stuff to do when you first get here, so might as well do the tourist thing...and if you're in Boston proper, check out Hay Market as it's probably the best thing about the place for foodies and a slice of home, well decent bread and cheeses at reasonable prices.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by azuredragonfly View Post
Hi,

Happy New Year!

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am moving to Boston in 5 months to get married to an amazing man who is a USC, but while I am really looking forward to the wedding the idea of uprooting and starting again is really stressful.
I feel quite alone as I am doing the move alone but I know so many people do this all the time. I just feel like I don't know where to start. I have tried writing lists of things I have to do but it makes me feel dizzy. Has anyone else gone through this and what helped you make sense of it all and stay calm?
Also, does anyone have any tips for adjusting to life there?

Thanks so much.
Hiya,
I have gone through this over the last few months so if you've any specific questions then don't hesitate to ask.
The only thing that differs is that it was up to my now wife to sort the wedding and so I didn't have much to do with that side of things. I just filled in a millions forms, went to London twice for a medical and the visa bit and that was my part done.
As I say, if you need any help then feel free to ask
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:43 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brucky View Post
My USC Wife struggled with the Wedding preparations (we Married in Scotland), she was the bride (obviously!)
OMG that made me choke on my coffee at my desk. Love it.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:00 pm
CR1 VISA

Originally Posted by ukintexas View Post
OMG that made me choke on my coffee at my desk. Love it.
My brain and fingers did not connect there, lol.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:10 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Boston is a great place to live, but there are a few practicalities you have to make sure get sorted out! First what are you doing about health insurance? Has your fiance discussed that with you? will you be on his insurance?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't panic!!!! I'm sure you are not alone in this. You have to realise you're dealing with 2 massive, life changing things at the one time and it's totally normal to feel overwhelmed. Try and separate the two, have one list for things you have to deal with regarding the wedding, and another list for the actual move to Boston.

Once you actually move, the transition will be a personal one. For me, Skype and FB have been invaluable, as has BE. They have all kept me connected to what I was used to back home and have been supportive and informative when it comes to things that are new and unfamiliar. The only advice I can give you, is take it one day at a time, try not to stress too much and remember, this should be an exciting time for you and I'm sure it will all work out just fine. Oh, and you'll love Boston!!!!!

Congratulations on you're forthcoming wedding and all the best for your future together, here in the US