British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Boston (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-boston-915957/)

nath_ Aug 11th 2018 11:13 am

Moving to Boston

Hi,

Having recently got my L VISA sorted, we're now planning our move out within the next three months! I've got loads of info from this forum already (thanks!) but just had a couple of Boston specific questions - if there is anyone living in Boston!
  • Recommendations for areas to live (Needs to be within 30 min commute of Beacon Hill area).
  • Dog walker / sitter recommendations
  • Vet recommendations
We don't have any kids but two whippets that will be coming with us!

If anyone else has any other suggestions of tips that would be awesome, thanks.

circusplaza Aug 11th 2018 11:52 am

Re: Moving to Boston

Hi Nath,
While in college I did stay in Cambridge area, nice and well connected to get Beacon in less than 30 in the metro.
A park there on the river side is good for dog walking.

No clue about vets and dog walkers

Isthisyourball Aug 12th 2018 3:54 pm

I moved to Boston in April and live in Jamaica Plain now. Beacon Hill is near all the subway lines so you've got options. Guess you are renting, so you might have slimmer pickings as the majority of leases start on September 1st. There should be something though as we signed our lease for starting in March.

I'd recommend JP. It's got plenty of apartments and single families. Lots of restaurants around Center Street and up by Hyde Square (including a Scottish one called the Haven which is cool). The South West Corridor Park is good for dog walkers as I think it's off leash and they're consulting on putting a designated dog park in down by Green Street T stop. It's also on the Orange line which is pretty good and they are starting to replace the ancient subway cars at the end of this year.

My wife lived in Brookline previously which I'd recommend. Loads of restaurants etc. along Beacon Street around Washington Square and Coolidge Corner; and Brookline Village is also good. They have dog parks as it seems like owning a dog in mandatory in Brookline. It's on the Green lines which is pretty regular but they do bottleneck at Kenmore from time to time.

My wife also used to have a dog and used Beantown Bed and Biscuit on Harvard Street in Brookline as a vet who she liked (and also do boarding). Don't know about dog sitters or walkers.

Boston's great - check out the Boston Brits Facebook page too.

scottyvisa Aug 12th 2018 5:53 pm

We use Rover.com for our dog, it's worked great for us for finding dog walkers and sitters.

nath_ Aug 13th 2018 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Isthisyourball (Post 12547232)
I moved to Boston in April and live in Jamaica Plain now. Beacon Hill is near all the subway lines so you've got options. Guess you are renting, so you might have slimmer pickings as the majority of leases start on September 1st. There should be something though as we signed our lease for starting in March.

I'd recommend JP. It's got plenty of apartments and single families. Lots of restaurants around Center Street and up by Hyde Square (including a Scottish one called the Haven which is cool). The South West Corridor Park is good for dog walkers as I think it's off leash and they're consulting on putting a designated dog park in down by Green Street T stop. It's also on the Orange line which is pretty good and they are starting to replace the ancient subway cars at the end of this year.

My wife lived in Brookline previously which I'd recommend. Loads of restaurants etc. along Beacon Street around Washington Square and Coolidge Corner; and Brookline Village is also good. They have dog parks as it seems like owning a dog in mandatory in Brookline. It's on the Green lines which is pretty regular but they do bottleneck at Kenmore from time to time.

My wife also used to have a dog and used Beantown Bed and Biscuit on Harvard Street in Brookline as a vet who she liked (and also do boarding). Don't know about dog sitters or walkers.

Boston's great - check out the Boston Brits Facebook page too.

Awesome thanks for this, have joined the FB group.

TimandRae Aug 16th 2018 3:56 pm

I don't live in Boston, but work on the Common. Subway access is key. I would suggest that, unless your work has private, reserved parking that you don't bother thinking about driving into central Boston - use the T instead.

Anywhere on the Red Line will get you to Charles/MGH or Park Street and it's no more than a 10 minute walk to pretty much anywhere in Beacon Hill from there. Likewise, the Green Line will put you within 10 or 15 minutes walk of almost all of Beacon Hill and the Orange Line isn't much further.

As I say, I don't live in Boston, but with those sort of commuting times, areas such as Cambridge, Jamaica Plain, Back Bay or even Somerville are within range. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend on rent. I'm sure someone who knows the different neighborhoods will be along soon.

Speaking of rent, having two dogs in tow is going to limit your options - landlords are picky when it comes to renting to folks with pets. I'd suggest finding a vet, pet sitter/walker and all the other odds and ends until you're here and can ask around. Good luck with your move!

PetrifiedExPat Aug 17th 2018 5:59 pm

Rent is going up, up, up. I would make sure you try and negotiate a solid salary (likely already done), and avoid driving into that area for work. Public transport is present but dreadful compared to London underground. The green line takes you to lovely places (and downtown), but its a reminder that the USA is at least 50 years behind the rest of the world in terms of infrastructure.

It's a great place but a reminder of how easily people can be duped into allowing irresponsible public spending projects go unpunished. Research 'The Big Dig', absolutely dreadful execution.