Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NY apartment advice

NY apartment advice

Old Aug 16th 2018, 9:03 pm
Banned

expatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default NY apartment advice

hi there,

Moving to Manhattan for medical work. Looking for a 1br apt budget 3-4k a month max that is what my salary can sustain. Looking for midtown area close to grand central. Am frustrated a bit with streeteasy as generally I prefer furnished places but they are so rare in the US in general.

In UK very common for furnished in fact its the standard.

Any suggestion for Manhattan? I use streeteasy if I go unfurnished any suggestions for furniture rental or way to furnish easily in Manhattan? Am looking for the least headache option for finding a place and then furnishing it!

Thanks Again
Old Aug 16th 2018, 9:12 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NY apartment advice

You're right in that it's very rare to find furnished apartments in New York City. Your best bet is IKEA and getting home delivery. Having rented several places in Manhattan, I'm convinced that the most efficient way to find an apartment is through a broker. True that you will have to pay a fee, but they will have the best inventory and will work with you to do all the paperwork etc. Expect to be shown the crap first, but stick with it, and you could get a gem.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 10:30 am
Banned

expatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
You're right in that it's very rare to find furnished apartments in New York City. Your best bet is IKEA and getting home delivery. Having rented several places in Manhattan, I'm convinced that the most efficient way to find an apartment is through a broker. True that you will have to pay a fee, but they will have the best inventory and will work with you to do all the paperwork etc. Expect to be shown the crap first, but stick with it, and you could get a gem.

You mean use your own broker? I know when you find somewhere you have to pay a broker fee for the renter's realtor very weird but there you go! Can you recommend any brokers? Can dm me if easier I have heard of Loftey and triple mint that is it
Old Aug 17th 2018, 5:20 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoc

You mean use your own broker? I know when you find somewhere you have to pay a broker fee for the renter's realtor very weird but there you go! Can you recommend any brokers? Can dm me if easier I have heard of Loftey and triple mint that is it
I mean a realtor/broker/property manager/real estate company - what we would simply call an estate agent. Douglass Elliman, Halstead, Corocoran Group are some big names in Manhattan.