Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Bergen County, NJ in 6 weeks!

Moving to Bergen County, NJ in 6 weeks!

Old Feb 13th 2020, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Bergen County, NJ in 6 weeks!

Car prices are definitely pretty painful here, the prices seem to be steeper and lower in different states also.

I'm assuming the properties you're being sent have ample parking? I know owning a car in Manhattan would be hell if you had to find on street parking every time you came back from a drive!
Old Feb 13th 2020, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Teddy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BenK91
Car prices are definitely pretty painful here, the prices seem to be steeper and lower in different states also.

I'm assuming the properties you're being sent have ample parking? I know owning a car in Manhattan would be hell if you had to find on street parking every time you came back from a drive!
We are looking at houses out in Ridgewood/Glen Rock etc as there's no way we can afford to live in NYC. All the properties have drives if not garages.

Hoping to be near enough to public transport that we don't need 2 cars. Although my husband is never happier than when researching a new car purchase.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teddy123
We are looking at houses out in Ridgewood/Glen Rock etc as there's no way we can afford to live in NYC. All the properties have drives if not garages.

Hoping to be near enough to public transport that we don't need 2 cars. Although my husband is never happier than when researching a new car purchase.
I move to New York in 2007 (moved on 1st April too!) and we're moving back to the area later this year. Ridgewood is nice. You may also want to check out Montclair and Glenn Ridge.

Public transport isn't great in these towns. Some have shuttles or buses going to the train station, but whether you need 2 cars will depend on how close you are to the train station and/or if you can give your husband a lift to the station in the morning! Also, will depend on how much flexibility you want on the weekends. i.e. if you want to do something with the kids and he wants to run some errands, it'll be difficult. Ridgewood has a fairly walkable main street, but with one car you're pretty much tied to either going everywhere together, or one of you staying home when the other is out! It's perfectly doable, but there is no denying that life will be more convenient with two.

Last edited by pejp; Feb 14th 2020 at 5:17 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 2:16 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Ridgewood and Glen Rock have excellent schools for your children. Upper Montclair and Glen Ridge are more hip. There is more to do in Montclair and Ridgewood than Glen Rock and Glen Ridge. Overall, they are all nice towns. If you end up buying anything in these towns, you will be paying big time in property taxes. I lived in Upper Montclair for 10 years, but when we bought and had children it was too expensive to live. There is transportation to NYC from all of these towns. There are a few Brits scattered around and there is a British shop in Upper Montclair called the PIe Store.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
Ridgewood and Glen Rock have excellent schools for your children. Upper Montclair and Glen Ridge are more hip. There is more to do in Montclair and Ridgewood than Glen Rock and Glen Ridge. Overall, they are all nice towns. If you end up buying anything in these towns, you will be paying big time in property taxes. I lived in Upper Montclair for 10 years, but when we bought and had children it was too expensive to live. There is transportation to NYC from all of these towns. There are a few Brits scattered around and there is a British shop in Upper Montclair called the PIe Store.
good information, (also takes note for if we ever move out that way)
Old Feb 19th 2020, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP you’re probably set on an area already, being so exact in location from the start, but just to add you can get to Manhattan for work easily (and probably more quickly) from close by parts of Long Island, example being parts of Queens on the MTA and depending what you are looking for overall you might find a more interesting neighbourhood that is less car centric. Just a thought, sorry if it is way off the mark for you. I guess it might be more expensive but that probably depends on the exact neighbourhood and how far you are out from the Manhattan commute. it’s unlikely you’d need a car or certainly not two in those locations, so budget wise there are other ways to play it.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Teddy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the responses regarding location.

I liked Montclair and wanted to look in that area but my husband knows the area around Ridgewood very well as he has family there and he wants to stay local.

I would love to live nearer to Manhattan as I'm a city girl but that's not going to happen this time round.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

alex_b06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey to the OP!

We moved to Downtown Jersey City almost 2 years ago. Originally thought we'd look in Manhattan but Jrsey City is great, although it doesn't have the big houses that Ridgewood or Glen Rock have you can get great apartments and the location to the city is great.Hoboken is also great with families.
I saw your post about the dog, we used Pet Air's Gold Service and paid just short of $2k for door 2 door. We paid extra to have someone collect our dog at Newark and deal with customs so she didn't associate us with the trauma, the first time she saw us was at our apartment. I would definately have the rabies shot, she doesn't need it in NJ but would in other states, it also reduces any quarenteen issues if you decided to take the dog back to the UK. I would also apply for the EU/UK Pet Passport - again this will make your life a lot easier should you decide to go back to the UK.

If you have any questions - feel free to ask.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 8:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alex_b06
Hey to the OP!

We moved to Downtown Jersey City almost 2 years ago. Originally thought we'd look in Manhattan but Jrsey City is great, although it doesn't have the big houses that Ridgewood or Glen Rock have you can get great apartments and the location to the city is great.Hoboken is also great with families.
I saw your post about the dog, we used Pet Air's Gold Service and paid just short of $2k for door 2 door. We paid extra to have someone collect our dog at Newark and deal with customs so she didn't associate us with the trauma, the first time she saw us was at our apartment. I would definately have the rabies shot, she doesn't need it in NJ but would in other states, it also reduces any quarenteen issues if you decided to take the dog back to the UK. I would also apply for the EU/UK Pet Passport - again this will make your life a lot easier should you decide to go back to the UK.

If you have any questions - feel free to ask.
Rabies shots for dogs are required by NJ State Law.