Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving belongings - when should our stuff arrive?

Moving belongings - when should our stuff arrive?

Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

Sound Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving belongings - when should our stuff arrive?

I am unclear as to when our stuff should arrive in the USA compared to when we fly over and I'd like to know what other people do.
Should we get there a just a few days before the shipment is ready to be delivered to us, or should we get there much before this?
If our furntuire, beds, most of our clothes and other essential stuff is on a ship, how are we to live for 2-4 weeks until it arrives? Stay in a hotel?

Must we, perhaps, be in the USA in order for the shipment to be allowed in the country?

Last edited by Sue; Jun 11th 2007 at 7:11 pm. Reason: Moved from USA Immigration newsgroup
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving belongings - when should our stuff arrive?

Originally Posted by Sound Boy
I am unclear as to when our stuff should arrive in the USA compared to when we fly over and I'd like to know what other people do.
Should we get there a just a few days before the shipment is ready to be delivered to us, or should we get there much before this?
If our furntuire, beds, most of our clothes and other essential stuff is on a ship, how are we to live for 2-4 weeks until it arrives? Stay in a hotel?

Must we, perhaps, be in the USA in order for the shipment to be allowed in the country?
Your shipment is to arrive after you. The shipping company needs your visa number received at the POE in order to bring your goods into the US.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Before starting all these new threads aren't you best to find out what your status is with US Immigration? If you have lost your US residency the questions you are asking us are moot.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Sound Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Before starting all these new threads aren't you best to find out what your status is with US Immigration? If you have lost your US residency the questions you are asking us are moot.
Where do I ask the pertinet questions? Is there an Immigration web site that will actually help me (not the USIC one)?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Where do I ask the pertinet questions? Is there an Immigration web site that will actually help me (not the USIC one)?
Try posting in one of our US Visa forums...but tell them your full story to begin with...not just snippets here and there. The people there will do their best to help you...you may have met some of the folk already ie Elvira, Ray. There are several visa forums...under the US heading:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/

When you've got your visa/GC sorted...come back and ask shipping/medical/misc questions and we will do our best to help you. Good luck.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://help.cbp.gov/