Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Bay Area (Cupertino)

Moving to Bay Area (Cupertino)

Old Feb 20th 2017, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Richardedd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Bay Area (Cupertino)

We moved from Oxfordshire to New Jersey 7 months ago and are now relocating (again!) to the Bay Area.

We have found a house in Cupertino and will be moving there in the next couple of weeks.

We have a 3 (nearly 4) and 5-year-old. We have sorted out the school for our 5 but have yet to decided on a preschool for our 3-year-old. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I am also looking for writing groups/courses for me (an aspiring novelist).

Any other advice about the local area - groups, events, things to do, places to eat etc would be gratefully received.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 8:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Bay Area (Cupertino)

Originally Posted by Richardedd

Any other advice about the local area - groups, events, things to do, places to eat etc would be gratefully received.
FB, LinkedIn, Meet up and the library would be first places to look I would imagine.

Library for kids stuff too.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 6:44 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from Oxfordshire to New Jersey 7 months ago and are now relocating (again!) to the Bay Area.

We have found a house in Cupertino and will be moving there in the next couple of weeks.

We have a 3 (nearly 4) and 5-year-old. We have sorted out the school for our 5 but have yet to decided on a preschool for our 3-year-old. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'd suggest waiting until you move, getting recommendations from the other Kindergarten parents at your 5yr old's school, and then checking them out in person. Different people look for different things in a pre-school. Both Stratford and Challenger schools are highly regarded, but they're very academic, which may not be what you're looking for.

My eldest went to Stratford but we then moved house and there was no Stratford campus nearby so my youngest went to a much less academically rigorous pre-school. Both have their pros and cons, but I tend to think my youngest had the better experience over all. She didn't learn to read as early as my eldest, but the atmosphere at the school was much more warm and loving.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 6:56 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Also:

Santana Row has some great restaurants. If you like Indian food, Amber does a great lunch buffet at the weekends. It's also a nice place just to hang out on summer evenings.

Saratoga and Los Gatos are nice towns to wander around in and have some nice eateries and more interesting shops. There are some great county parks to the south and west of you (e.g. Sanborn). Check out Mountain Winery, both as a winery and as a concert venue.

For day trips, you're a short journey away from some great places - Hwy 1 for beaches (we like Pescadero), Santa Cruz for beach & boardwalk, Ano Nuevo for really cool elephant seal viewing, Swanton area for strawberry picking in the early summer.