Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the US with young children

Moving back to the US with young children

Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

scbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud of
Default Moving back to the US with young children

I have a four year old who will start school here in the UK in Sept and a three year old, we have lived here in the UK since Feb 07, I think we have decided we want to move back to the US (various reasons - my hubby is a USC and I am a naturalized citizen), if you have moved with kids, do you think there is a better time to do it? we could move Sept this year before his school starts, but he would be in daycare over there, (but would meet lots of friends to move up to school with next Sept 09), or we could move next Spring, but he'll be in the middle of school here, (not that it makes that much difference to a 4/5 year old?). Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this. Or maybe I am overthinking it all!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the US with young children

Originally Posted by scbrit
Or maybe I am overthinking it all!
At the ages of 3 and 4, don't think it really matters, does it?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:35 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

The public school system in SC now has full-day or half-day kindergarten for 4 year olds, whichever you choose. Then they go to regular kindergarten when 5 years old. I don't think the 4-year-old K is a requirement, but it's there if you want to use it.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

My Son did a couple of years in UK school then we transferred him over to US school into first grade. My Husband was in USAF so went to DODDS school, he did really well gave him a kick start and he just graduated High school here with top grades.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:25 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Many schools in the US take four year olds in 'pre-K' classes, some of which are half day or full day. You should check the schools in the area you want to move to and see if they have a pre-K program at the local schools.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:53 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you move back over in the Spring, chances are your 4 yr old will only have a month or two before school breaks up for the summer anyway (our school district breaks up at the end of May, with 9 weeks summer break!) So there wouldn't be a great deal of time to adjust to a new school environment but at least he/she might possibly make some new friends ahead of the pre-kindergarten year. I guess it's whatever suits your circumstances better, I was amazed at how adaptable my son was (also 4 at the time of moving) at their age it's not that much of a big deal but I totally understand that you want the best for your kids, ensuring they are settled and happy, like we all do
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

scbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud of

Thanks for the thoughts.. I appreciate it...