Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving back from US to UK or Europe

Moving back from US to UK or Europe

Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Moving back from US to UK or Europe

Does any one have any thoughts on leaving the US and returning to somewhere in Europe as opposed to the UK?? I say this because I am seriously planning a move to back to England in Spring of next year, after living in the USA for 26 years, almost as long as I lived in England! Meantime I am getting as much info on life there as I can get, I have a post on another thread on how negative friends/family are on my returning to the UK - too expensive, high unemployment, etc, etc. I am wondering if the same picture is being painted about other countries in Europe, such as France, Germany, Italy, Spain. Has anyone ever thought of relocating or has lived in any other country besides USA and UK?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:30 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back from US to UK or Europe

The grass is always greener.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:33 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Does any one have any thoughts on leaving the US and returning to somewhere in Europe as opposed to the UK?? I say this because I am seriously planning a move to back to England in Spring of next year, after living in the USA for 26 years, almost as long as I lived in England! Meantime I am getting as much info on life there as I can get, I have a post on another thread on how negative friends/family are on my returning to the UK - too expensive, high unemployment, etc, etc. I am wondering if the same picture is being painted about other countries in Europe, such as France, Germany, Italy, Spain. Has anyone ever thought of relocating or has lived in any other country besides USA and UK?
You'd probably get more answers if you posted this question in the Europe forum.

Answers might also depend on if you are coming to work. I can tell you that jobs are not so easy to come by in Italy, France and Spain (not sure about Germany) and 10 times more difficult if you don't speak the language.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 4:54 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Scour the "moving back to the UK" forum, both for the good and the bad. There will be a lot of practical advice (i.e. NHS, etc) and some advice on the cultural issues you will face from friends and family.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I too have been here 26 years, and I too have toyed with the idea of going 'back', but not to UK but rather Spain or Italy - for reasons of climate, food, ambiance, etc. I would not do this unless I was financially secure (i.e., no work involved). I'm willing to believe I could overcome the language issue (by learning!) but I'm not convinced the whole plan is all that feasible. Not sure what the health insurance situation is, for example. Since the big market tumble, I'm probably stuck working for another 5+ years so the issue is a bit moot for me. But it's nice to fantasize!

PS - I do speak French, but France is one place I definitely would not go to - I've heard from several people that the French are not the most welcoming to outsiders; I think the fact that Spain and Italy are less prosperous makes them more receptive perhaps to outsiders. Portugal also sounds attractive ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 8th 2009 at 5:51 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I too have been here 26 years, and I too have toyed with the idea of going 'back', but not to UK but rather Spain or Italy - for reasons of climate, food, ambiance, etc. I would not do this unless I was financially secure (i.e., no work involved). I'm willing to believe I could overcome the language issue (by learning!) but I'm not convinced the whole plan is all that feasible. Not sure what the health insurance situation is, for example. Since the big market tumble, I'm probably stuck working for another 5+ years so the issue is a bit moot for me. But it's nice to fantasize!

PS - I do speak French, but France is one place I definitely would not go to - I've heard from several people that the French are not the most welcoming to outsiders; I think the fact that Spain and Italy are less prosperous makes them more receptive perhaps to outsiders. Portugal also sounds attractive ...
I have a degree in French and German, also am half German, but would have to work wherever I go. I too was looking at Portugal, but all in all, until I can afford to retire (if ever!!) I guess the UK makes more sense for health affordability as that is one of the major reasons I have for leaving the US. But it is nice to dream, for the future, and at least Europe is then on the doorstep as opposed to a dreadful 9 hour flight (from SC)!!!
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:30 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you decide there will be ups and downs, goods and bads. It is not quantifiable (if that is an actual word). At the end of the day we are all in the midst of a global recession. During a recession everybody is miserable and pointing the finger. Some blame crime, some immigration (to wherever), some blame the left and some the right. Personally I blame people like you. Not for any particular reason but at times like these it is best to firmly point the finger at somebody or something. What I am saying is you will never know or get a reasonable answer. Suck it and see, basically.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I found the French perhaps a little reserved at first in the area i lived at least,but not unfriendly by any means.
Others that i have read on sites recently,state how friendly it is in their area.Thus i would not necessary write France of as a country to go as in many ways it has a very good quality of life.
Portugal,always one of my favourite,is well worth considering.Never lived there as such,but did stay three months in 1990 looking at many regions in the country with the view of an extended stay,but finally lived in France.
(owing to personal circumstances) Prefer the North myself and keep in mind that Portuguese,at least how i experienced it is not such an easy language to learn...
Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Whatever you decide there will be ups and downs, goods and bads. It is not quantifiable (if that is an actual word). At the end of the day we are all in the midst of a global recession. During a recession everybody is miserable and pointing the finger. Some blame crime, some immigration (to wherever), some blame the left and some the right. Personally I blame people like you. Not for any particular reason but at times like these it is best to firmly point the finger at somebody or something. What I am saying is you will never know or get a reasonable answer. Suck it and see, basically.

Speak for yourself, I am not miserable. Life is what it is, up and down, no point in being miserable about it, and sorry you find the need to point the finger at me, or anyone, "Silly sod".
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I found the French perhaps a little reserved at first in the area i lived at least,but not unfriendly by any means.
Others that i have read on sites recently,state how friendly it is in their area.Thus i would not necessary write France of as a country to go as in many ways it has a very good quality of life.
Portugal,always one of my favourite,is well worth considering.Never lived there as such,but did stay three months in 1990 looking at many regions in the country with the view of an extended stay,but finally lived in France.
(owing to personal circumstances) Prefer the North myself and keep in mind that Portuguese,at least how i experienced it is not such an easy language to learn...
Good point on Portuguese language! I'm not a 'France hater', but - there is nothing I prefer in France compared to Italy or Spain. I love the food in Italy the most, and food is a major factor for me; I have spent less time in Spain, but the food in Andalusia - where I would go (Seville, Granada areas) was great. Despite its world-famous reputation, French food just doesn't hit the spot for me to the same extent.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:13 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Speak for yourself, I am not miserable. Life is what it is, up and down, no point in being miserable about it, and sorry you find the need to point the finger at me, or anyone, "Silly sod".
I sometimes forget that people who don't know me on here can mis-understand my sense of humour. I was joking mate. The point I was making is that during harsh economic times everybody is looking for somebody to blae. Hence, here in the UK the BNP have become more popular than ever before as people look to blame immigrants for everything. But, I guess it is the same the world over at the moment so whatever anybody tells you (friends/family) is probably going to be biased. Mix that in with that fact that everybody who has never lived in the US imagine it to be one long California beach front and you will understand why peole are baffled that you may want to leave. Hope that clears things up. I am sure you are not miserable. But people like you make me sick ha ha (You see, It is a joke )
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
The grass is always greener.
That's the truth.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice

My first question would be: why are you considering moving back? That will inform most of your decisions from here on.

I have lived in 7 countries. All different, all had things about them that were wonderful and made me want to never leave, all had things about them that were minor irritants. You have to treat all of it as an experience, otherwise the negatives will get you down. You have to wake up every morning and say to yourself "I am so lucky to be living here; millions of people envy me this opportunity", no matter where you are.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice

yes, i agree and i say this to myself too. I am moving california next week from the midwest and as i move i am reflecting on my life in the US. I have been here for seven years and moving quickly towards my 60s and thinking about retirement. Part of me wants to stay as long as I can and then i think about my siblings and children in the UK and grandchildren and friends. There is a lot negatives on the boards lately - enjoy your life and where you are. There is no time for regrets - all life is an experience. When i go back to england everyone is so pleased to see me and i spend so much quality time with everyone particularly my siblings yet when i was living round the corner i actually did not see my siblings that often and if i did it was not the same. Love life be happy.

julia

moving from tulsa OK to LA California next week!!!!
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt I'd return to Europe to work, but I am giving this serious consideration as part of a retirement plan. My current thinking is part year in Italy and part year in San Francisco. I speak Italian (although not fluently) and have given careful consideration to where I'd want to live and at what times of year. I'm a US citizen so no issues with green cards etc moving around, plus I've been here long enough to get Medicare at age 65. And, as far as I can tell, I would be covered in Italy if I resided there for enough days of the year. But, like you, I doubt I will be financially secure enough to do this any time soon given the state of the financial markets and the economy as a whole!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.