British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving back to the US after 12 years in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-back-us-after-12-years-uk-914705/)

BigDaddyViking Jul 8th 2018 12:38 pm

Moving back to the US after 12 years in UK

Hi people,

We are currently living in the UK. Wife and three kids are all American citizens and I am British citizen. We previously had lived in the US for 7 years before moving to the UK as my Wife wanted to be close to her Mother whom has now passed away. She does not like the UK at all and wants to return to the states. My wife is a teacher and cannot believe how rude and disrutive it is compared to teaching in the US. Many other aspects of British life she also does not like and to be honest, I rather share those thoughts. We feel we want to start getting ready to move back within say 4 years, to give us time financially etc. I did have a green card which obviously I had to give up. However, I did serve in the US military. We are planning to go over for a few weeks and talk to an immigration lawyer, perhaps the same lawyer we dealt with previously.

We we are in our 30’s and just trying to research as best we can. Great to be here and any thoughts would most certainly be welcomed.

Rete Jul 8th 2018 1:01 pm

Re: Moving back to the US after 12 years in UK

Welcome to BE. Shame you didn't become a US Citizen while you served in the US Military or through your marriage when you had the golden opportunity while you were living in the US previously. Unless you have a criminal history, your process is straight forward. A simple Immediate Relative Visa (IR-1) applied for by your wife initially with the I-130 for you as beneficiary and then your interview further down the line will result in the visa if you are approved. I won't go into great detail about the process as you should be asking your questions in the Marriage-Based Visa forum above and have a search for threads with "DCF" in them. This is for direct consular filing and if it is still available in four years it is what you will be doing.

Rete Jul 8th 2018 1:05 pm

PS Don't let your wife leave the UK without becoming a British citizen. Makes life so much easier for all concerned if one of the child decides to return to the UK or if you all decide to return there.

carcajou Jul 8th 2018 1:15 pm

If your wife hates it, and you are (at best) ambivalent about staying in the UK, then going back to the US is the best option. Four years is plenty of time to get sorted.

But four years is also plenty of time for your wife to get burned out completely if she's in an untenable teaching situation - and if she's hating her job/school, that's probably contributing significantly to her attitude towards the UK.

In the interim, can she apply for a job at a different school?

As you know - not all schools are created equally, and it may buy her some "breathing space" if she can go from a bad school to a mid-range one.

But teaching has changed a whole lot in the last 10-15 years. Her workload will not decrease at an American school, and if she gets hired at a rough one, she will be just as stressed.

You might want to consider having a 1- and 3-year planning horizon as well. I just think four years for your wife in a high-stress teaching situation may become unviable at some point down the track, and research with teacher burnout is quite interesting - many don't see it coming, they just wake up one morning and hate everything about their job and career, and it's hard to pull out from that. So I think you should have multiple scenarios planned for shorter time periods, and since you are in agreement about wanting to go back - you might want to go on and just speed things up.

BigDaddyViking Jul 8th 2018 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12529257)
PS Don't let your wife leave the UK without becoming a British citizen. Makes life so much easier for all concerned if one of the child decides to return to the UK or if you all decide to return there.

sounds like a good plan. She has her permanent resident card so she is now at stage where she can apply for citizenship. Yes, i am kicking myself I never took my US citizenship in the US Army. I was actually in the starting process of having it filled by the Army and I was then injured in training and medically discharged. Injuries do not affect me now but I was so close to it. Would having served in the US Army go in my favour? I have no criminal records at all. Work in software engineering and have engineering degree. Starting my masters degree in Engineering soon. Wife has her degree in chemistry.

BigDaddyViking Jul 8th 2018 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12529260)
If your wife hates it, and you are (at best) ambivalent about staying in the UK, then going back to the US is the best option. Four years is plenty of time to get sorted.

But four years is also plenty of time for your wife to get burned out completely if she's in an untenable teaching situation - and if she's hating her job/school, that's probably contributing significantly to her attitude towards the UK.

In the interim, can she apply for a job at a different school?

As you know - not all schools are created equally, and it may buy her some "breathing space" if she can go from a bad school to a mid-range one.

But teaching has changed a whole lot in the last 10-15 years. Her workload will not decrease at an American school, and if she gets hired at a rough one, she will be just as stressed.

You might want to consider having a 1- and 3-year planning horizon as well. I just think four years for your wife in a high-stress teaching situation may become unviable at some point down the track, and research with teacher burnout is quite interesting - many don't see it coming, they just wake up one morning and hate everything about their job and career, and it's hard to pull out from that. So I think you should have multiple scenarios planned for shorter time periods, and since you are in agreement about wanting to go back - you might want to go on and just speed things up.

yes it most certainly could be situational with her. She teaches at a school in a lower class area. Schools in the states in rough areas are awful. But shocking seeing armed guards in high schools. She is a mid western country girl so grow up away from rougher areas. Her Grandparents are rather wealthy and he was senior office in military so that would probably help too with us moving back in regards to a joint sponsor. Our next real step is to go see our immigration lawyer whose we previously used.

Rete Jul 8th 2018 2:03 pm

The entire DCF process will only take between 6 to 8 months and you should have your visa in your passport. Many here are DIY'ers but there is no reason why you shouldn't use an attorney if that is your choice. So make your long term plans, look into the process by asking questions in the appropriate forum and with your attorney, then have at it.

TimandRae Jul 11th 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12529257)
PS Don't let your wife leave the UK without becoming a British citizen.

This! This, for god's sake, this! If you're going to make the move, then just swallow the expense and get another passport in case you decide - for whatever reason - to move back to the UK.

I can only see the rules getting tighter and tighter for getting in with a non-UK spouse and they're certainly never going to make it easier to become a citizen.