Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving back to uk permanently with us born child

Moving back to uk permanently with us born child

Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to uk permanently with us born child

Originally Posted by jennamo
Thanks all. His Father will not be traveling with us and will join us later.
Ok, good to know. This may be overkill but consider getting a notarized letter from him saying that is the plan. They may not ask for it but should they do it would help to allay any suspicions. As it is you are arriving at the border claiming you didn't have time to get a passport, their first question might be why you didn't have time and does the father know you suddenly rushed off with the child.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. His Father will not be traveling with us and will join us later.

I called UK Border Agency about this and didn't really get a straight answer. They said he can enter on the US passport. When I asked, can he stay? she said yes, for 6 months. I asked 'what if we get him a passport within those 6 months?' and I didn't really get an answer. I am confused. Is there anyone I can contact to get an official answer to my question?
Another poster did as you are proposing. They did not have time to get the child a UK passport and so entered the UK with the child's US passport.

They received a lecture from the Immigration official about how they should have obtained a UK passport - especially since the parents were returning to the UK to live.

However, he then stamped the child's passport with the visitor's stamp for 6 months and told them they had to get the UK passport within that time.

NOTE: your child will NOT be eligible for NHS treatment (especially hospitalisation) since he is considered a visitor to the UK. Another poster had problems getting medical treatment because the child had the visitor's stamp, so I would advise getting his UK passport as soon as you arrive.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

jennamo is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems like that is what I am going to have to do but I am very nervous about it. Does anyone know of any instance of a parent and child being turned away at the border because the child does not have a British passport? I am torn between telling the truth and just telling them we are visiting.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like that is what I am going to have to do but I am very nervous about it. Does anyone know of any instance of a parent and child being turned away at the border because the child does not have a British passport? I am torn between telling the truth and just telling them we are visiting.
I stand by my opinion and know it happened
but that was over 15 years ago and thing do change

the problem can be ...any evidence its even your child
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

The child is British though, correct? You just haven't got them a British passport yet and there are other ways to document their status as a British citizen. What documentation do you have? Did you register their birth with the British consulate? Bring that, and that will most likely satisfy the UK immigration authorities. If you didn't bring their US birth certificate to establish that they are your child (make sure it is a "long form" certificate that shows you as the mother!), and you will of course have your UK passport to establish that you are British. They should be able to work out from that your child is a British citizen by descent. As SanDiegoGirl, most likely the worst outcome will be an entry stamp for six months and a lecture about getting them their British passport.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

That worries me. He has his US passport with his photo in it and we have his US birth certificate with my name on it as his mother. My passport identifies me by the photo. Would having a British passport prove he is my son? Maybe British passports have the childs' parents names on it and this is the difference that I am unaware of. We did not register the birth with the consulate although obviously I am regretting that now
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, don't know of anyone being turned away - just make sure you have all the documentation to prove he is your child.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

That worries me. He has his US passport with his photo in it and we have his US birth certificate with my name on it as his mother. My passport identifies me by the photo. Would having a British passport prove he is my son? Maybe British passports have the childs' parents names on it and this is the difference that I am unaware of. We did not register the birth with the consulate although obviously I am regretting that now
No British passports don't record parents names AFAIK.

Were you born in the UK?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Yes, both my husband (child's father) and I were born in the UK. We have been working in the US for 5 years on visas.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

jesus, did I stutter?

have a 2 week return ticket.

take baby and notarized letter from father authorizing you can take child out of country

baby enters UK with US passport
you enter on UK passport

walk out of airport

go to GRO

register baby

take hospital records
birth certificate
parents birth certificates and passport scans.
marriage certificate
any divorce papers from previous marriages.

and Robert will be your mothers brother.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, both my husband (child's father) and I were born in the UK. We have been working in the US for 5 years on visas.
Right, so that makes you British Citizens "other than by descent". Any child born to a British Citizen other than by descent since 1983 is automatically a British Citizen "by descent" at birth. Your passport will document your status as a British Citizen other than by descent, and the US birth certificate will document the baby as your child. The immigration officers should be able to work it out for themselves, but you could point this out to them if they um and ah. I'd say the worst-case scenario for you is that they stamp his US passport for a six month entry and tell you to get his documents sorted out.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need to 'register' your son, either in the US or the UK, as he is already British by descent through you. The problem here lies in the difference between possessing British citizenship and being able to demonstrate it. This is where overseas birth registration comes in handy - however it is likely too late to do this from the US (birth registration takes much longer than applying for a first passport).

The simplest way by far would be to apply for his British passport as soon as possible through the British Embassy in Washington. How long before you leave for the UK?

If you're leaving in around four weeks or less, you would be running the risk of not getting it in time. Your only option then would be to travel to the UK with his US passport and he will get six months in the UK as a US visitor. You would need to apply for his British passport within this time and/or register his birth with the Embassy in Washington via the FCO in King Charles Street.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

We're looking to move in about 5 weeks. The passport wait time is at least 6 weeks so I don't want to risk sending off all my docs for that and then not being able to travel.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:30 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

We're looking to move in about 5 weeks. The passport wait time is at least 6 weeks so I don't want to risk sending off all my docs for that and then not being able to travel.
Although the official line is always "at least six weeks", unless there's a major problem or it's the height of the summer rush, you're probably looking at a two to four week wait with a correctly completed application for a first timer.

If the father is joining you later, you could always apply for the passport now and if it doesn't arrive before you leave, your other half can always bring it with him when he comes. Just include a photocopy of your son's US passport with the application.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Although the official line is always "at least six weeks", unless there's a major problem or it's the height of the summer rush, you're probably looking at a two to four week wait with a correctly completed application for a first timer.

If the father is joining you later, you could always apply for the passport now and if it doesn't arrive before you leave, your other half can always bring it with him when he comes. Just include a photocopy of your son's US passport with the application.
BritInParis: Do you know if a copy of his US passport will suffice? It says you need 'child's travel document (if applicable).'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.