British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving back to uk permanently with us born child (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-back-uk-permanently-us-born-child-795443/)

jennamo Apr 29th 2013 1:21 am

Moving back to uk permanently with us born child

I am going to be moving back to the UK for good with my son who was born here less than a year ago. My question is does he need a UK passport to enter the UK with the intention of staying? Is there a work around for this? He has a us one. I do not think we have time to get him one before we have to leave. Is it possible for him to enter the UK on a us passport and for us then to get him one once we are there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ray Apr 29th 2013 3:14 am

Re: Moving back to uk permanently with us born child

Originally Posted by jennamo (Post 10682813)
I am going to be moving back to the UK for good with my son who was born here less than a year ago. My question is does he need a UK passport to enter the UK with the intention of staying? Is there a work around for this? He has a us one. I do not think we have time to get him one before we have to leave. Is it possible for him to enter the UK on a us passport and for us then to get him one once we are there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

He will need a UK passport ...or he gets a 6 months vacation there

jennamo Apr 29th 2013 11:34 am

Thanks Ray. So if I got him a passport during that 6 month period that would not be OK?

nun Apr 29th 2013 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 10682877)
He will need a UK passport ...or he gets a 6 months vacation there

That surprises me. A baby now needs a passport to travel, but it's ok to travel on a US passport. However, having a passport doesn't determine citizenship and if the baby is a UK citizen it can obviously stay in the UK indefinitely.

Manc Apr 29th 2013 12:47 pm

enter the UK and enter him on his US passport.

when you're asked if how long you're staying for, say, 2 weeks.

once you've left the airport, it maybe wise register the baby as a UK citizen at your local General Register Office you know.... just in case you change your mind and decide to stay in the UK for longer......

Guindalf Apr 29th 2013 2:42 pm

Yeah, just do the one thing that EVERYONE on this board tells you NOT to do - Lie to immigration!

Manc Apr 29th 2013 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 10683661)
Yeah, just do the one thing that EVERYONE on this board tells you NOT to do - Lie to immigration!

oooooh get you.

I don't speak for this board. I speak for myself.

I don't think they'll give a flying toss to be honest.

Manc Apr 29th 2013 3:12 pm

Also I am not saying lie to immigration.

he is staying for 2 weeks.

should he wish to extend his stay any longer, as is his right as a British citizen. then he would need to register the child with the GRO as a British citizen.

just saying

Guindalf Apr 29th 2013 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 10683724)
Also I am not saying lie to immigration.

he is staying for 2 weeks.

should he wish to extend his stay any longer, as is his right as a British citizen. then he would need to register the child with the GRO as a British citizen.

just saying

Er, no. That's EXACTLY what you're saying!

The best thing to do is just to tell the truth. The baby is a UKC by birth and, no matter what passport is used, cannot be refused entry for birth reasons.

BTW, I'm not trying to be self-righteous. Just repeating what I've seen posted hundreds of times in this very forum!

rpjs Apr 29th 2013 3:48 pm

Bill Bryson recounted a story that pretty much matches Manc's advice. Some friends of his returned to the UK after a stint in the US but had neglected to obtain a UK passport for their US-born but UKC baby. Once the immigration officials at Heathrow had established the lack of documentation, one told them "My supervisor is going to ask you how long you intend to stay in Britain, say 'two weeks'", which they did. "'Good', said the supervisor. 'It might be a good idea to register the child as British within the next day or two, in case you should decide to extend your stay.'"

Of course that was back before the macho posturing of the UK Border "Force" and similar rubbish, so who knows what would happen today. The bottom line is that a UKC has the right to stay in the UK, irrespective of what passport and status they may have been admitted under - it's just a case of getting the proof of the UK citizenship correctly established once admitted.

Manc Apr 29th 2013 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 10683788)
Bill Bryson recounted a story that pretty much matches Manc's advice. Some friends of his returned to the UK after a stint in the US but had neglected to obtain a UK passport for their US-born but UKC baby. Once the immigration officials at Heathrow had established the lack of documentation, one told them "My supervisor is going to ask you how long you intend to stay in Britain, say 'two weeks'", which they did. "'Good', said the supervisor. 'It might be a good idea to register the child as British within the next day or two, in case you should decide to extend your stay.'"

That's the story I was basing my advice from.

could remember it was from Bryson, couldn't remember the book.

Manc Apr 29th 2013 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 10683777)
Er, no. That's EXACTLY what you're saying!

The best thing to do is just to tell the truth. The baby is a UKC by birth and, no matter what passport is used, cannot be refused entry for birth reasons.

BTW, I'm not trying to be self-righteous. Just repeating what I've seen posted hundreds of times in this very forum!

baby is British through descent and hasn't been registered yet.

quite different.

and you are being self righteous.....

from a bureaucratic Whitehall home office viewpoint
the baby, without being registered as a British citizen yet, and no passport doesn't have the right to remain in the UK. and CAN be denied entry.

from a boots on the ground, passport control guy who knows the kid is a British citizen all bar the shouting, all he will want to do is hear what he needs to hear in order to let you in and register the kids birth.

as I said, tell them 2 weeks, they won't give a toss.

sir_eccles Apr 29th 2013 4:13 pm

I just wanted to check whether the other parent was coming with?

jennamo Apr 29th 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks all. His Father will not be traveling with us and will join us later.

I called UK Border Agency about this and didn't really get a straight answer. They said he can enter on the US passport. When I asked, can he stay? she said yes, for 6 months. I asked 'what if we get him a passport within those 6 months?' and I didn't really get an answer. I am confused. Is there anyone I can contact to get an official answer to my question?

DavidLemon Apr 29th 2013 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by jennamo (Post 10683868)
Thanks all. His Father will not be traveling with us and will join us later.

I called UK Border Agency about this and didn't really get a straight answer. They said he can enter on the US passport. When I asked, can he stay? she said yes, for 6 months. I asked 'what if we get him a passport within those 6 months?' and I didn't really get an answer. I am confused. Is there anyone I can contact to get an official answer to my question?

Manc is correct in what was said, you can enter in on US and then register your child and then all will be good with the world. Ideally one would do it here in the US, but since you have not the time, you are left with no alternative.