Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK with my US born daughter

Moving back to the UK with my US born daughter

Old Apr 19th 2012, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

MOGER5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK with my US born daughter

Her mother and I are divorcing. Do I need documentation from the mother to show she has given her consent, to show UK immigrations? Thnx
Old Apr 19th 2012, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK with my US born daughter

Originally Posted by MOGER5
Her mother and I are divorcing. Do I need documentation from the mother to show she has given her consent, to show UK immigrations? Thnx
Wow ..... on the understanding that this question might be genuine, I'm going to say .... Hell Yes - probably lots of it.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes. You may have to show it this side of the pond too...especially if you are buying one way tickets.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Make sure you get something official, perhaps from a court, to say that you have permission to do this.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
Make sure you get something official, perhaps from a court, to say that you have permission to do this.
Good point.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:04 am
Banned

hercules143 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you need to provide legal documents to UK immigrations
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:34 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Yes

Hell Yes.

Cross-border custody issues are a tremendous web of international treaties and rules. This is most definitely one area where "understandings" or "handshake agreements" or anything like that simply doesn't apply.

Get it in writing, and get it notarized by a public notary (i.e. both of you sign in their presence). If you are formally getting divorced get the custody issue as part of the agreement, along with the right to take the child overseas.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Yes

Hell Yes.

Cross-border custody issues are a tremendous web of international treaties and rules. This is most definitely one area where "understandings" or "handshake agreements" or anything like that simply doesn't apply.

Get it in writing, and get it notarized by a public notary (i.e. both of you sign in their presence). If you are formally getting divorced get the custody issue as part of the agreement, along with the right to take the child overseas.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I'd just like to add...when I needed a document notarized for legal reasons to send back to the UK...it had to be notarized by someone with a law degree. The notary who manages my local UPS store wasn't acceptable.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 20th 2012 at 3:18 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP is getting divorced in the US and the child is a minor, the divorce/family court will almost certainly be the one that decides custody anyway.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 4:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'd just like to add...when I needed a document notarized for legal reasons to send back to the UK...it had to be notarized by someone with a law degree. The notary who manages my local UPS store wasn't acceptable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_convention

This is a state authority rather than a federal one. Get the document notarized by your usual notary -- UPS store, bank, tarrot card reader, etc. Then Google for <name of state> + apostille and following their instructions for the apostille.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by fatbrit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_convention

This is a state authority rather than a federal one. Get the document notarized by your usual notary -- UPS store, bank, tarrot card reader, etc. Then Google for <name of state> + apostille and following their instructions for the apostille.
I talking about the UK not the US. I had to send a notarized copy of my PP to my solicitors in the UK...a had it signed and stamped by a local notary. The notarized document wasn't acceptable...I had to send another copy notarized by a solicitor.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:09 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I talking about the UK not the US. I had to send a notarized copy of my PP to my solicitors in the UK...a had it signed and stamped by a local notary. The notarized document wasn't acceptable...I had to send another copy notarized by a solicitor.
The treaty should still have been applicable. However, if it's something you want from someone else, it's often easier to play by their rules.