Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK after divorce with children

Moving back to UK after divorce with children

Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:15 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK after divorce with children

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Might I also suggest that you get your American citizenship as soon as you can? You want to be able to come and go from the US without the worry of visas.
great advice
Old Mar 17th 2016, 3:26 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Might I also suggest that you get your American citizenship as soon as you can? You want to be able to come and go from the US without the worry of visas.
well since she's not going anywhere at the moment. that is a moot point surely. I think the OP needs to consult a lawyer before doing anything.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 3:31 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
well since she's not going anywhere at the moment. that is a moot point surely. I think the OP needs to consult a lawyer before doing anything.
i would 100% want citizenship in the place my children resided so there could be NO CHANCE id be in a situation where i had no right to visit them. even if the events leading to that would be slim chances - i wouldnt want to put myself there if i could do anything to help it. the only thing i might do is talk to the lawyer before the citizenship was finalized to make sure that wouldn't harm my case (ie court may consider a citizen has no need to leave or something silly like that)
Old Mar 17th 2016, 3:47 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i would 100% want citizenship in the place my children resided so there could be NO CHANCE id be in a situation where i had no right to visit them. even if the events leading to that would be slim chances - i wouldnt want to put myself there if i could do anything to help it. the only thing i might do is talk to the lawyer before the citizenship was finalized to make sure that wouldn't harm my case (ie court may consider a citizen has no need to leave or something silly like that)
well, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'd want to be crystal clear that it wouldn't be harmful in any way to me taking the kids back.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 3:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I go with naturalising, kids are likely to be in the US and protects her position.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 6:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Well since she has statedthat she wants to go home and take her children and has been advised to see a lawyer about it wouldn't it be best to have all of her ducks in a row in case the ex suddenly agrees? Once she's seen the lawyer things could progress and she would leave the country with no avenue to return should she want to. Being a citizen would also (I would think) give the OP some security if she were to stay in the US.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Well since she has statedthat she wants to go home and take her children and has been advised to see a lawyer about it wouldn't it be best to have all of her ducks in a row in case the ex suddenly agrees? Once she's seen the lawyer things could progress and she would leave the country with no avenue to return should she want to. Being a citizen would also (I would think) give the OP some security if she were to stay in the US.
The nasty ones I have seen have been where the spouse is on a derivative visa, at least she is a PR. USC would be better.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

kitkat11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
The nasty ones I have seen have been where the spouse is on a derivative visa, at least she is a PR. USC would be better.
I have thought about applying for US citizenship but I have 6 years till green card expires . I can still come and go and stay 90 days if I come back to US if I don't renew or get citizenship

I think in my case it would be better for me to stay a resident if I decide to return back to the UK .
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

You children can re petition you once they reach 21.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitkat11
I have thought about applying for US citizenship but I have 6 years till green card expires . I can still come and go and stay 90 days if I come back to US if I don't renew or get citizenship

I think in my case it would be better for me to stay a resident if I decide to return back to the UK .
This is exactly why you need to be consulting a lawyer about all aspects of your circumstances. "Move to another country intending to move there permanently" is one of several things that can lead to abandonment of your permanent residence.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
This is exactly why you need to be consulting a lawyer about all aspects of your circumstances. "Move to another country intending to move there permanently" is one of several things that can lead to abandonment of your permanent residence.
I do not think that is what she meant.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do not think that is what she meant.
She started the post with "I want to move back to England".

She says above "..if I decide to return to the UK".

Those intentions carry the risk of abandonment of permanent US residence.

That's why my advice is to take legal advice.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 3:00 pm
Austin. TX.

well, since she's wanting to move back due to lack of financial support here, perhaps consulting with an international divorce lawyer is beyond her means? Maybe she could do a gofundme? I'd chip in.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

kitkat11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm split and that is my problem
My job is ok and get good benefits and
There are things I like about living here in the US but need more financial support from my ex to have a decent life. I'm not getting that from him so either I
Have to suck it up and get on with it or take the plunge and move back -if I can
Old Mar 17th 2016, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
She started the post with "I want to move back to England".

She says above "..if I decide to return to the UK".

Those intentions carry the risk of abandonment of permanent US residence.

That's why my advice is to take legal advice.
You misread, she is done with the US and giving up PR is easier than US Citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.