Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the States - North Carolina??

Moving back to the States - North Carolina??

Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to the States - North Carolina??

Originally Posted by deniseincarmel
Hi Bromleygirl,

I lived in NC in 2005-06 but we decided to move back to Indiana. I'd advise staying away from very small towns. But, who knows, they probably like Brits better than yankees, lol.

If we ever move there again, and we may, we will move to the Winston Salem area. I also lived in Raleigh after college for three years and loved some things about Raleigh also. That was before the Research Triangle population blast so I'm not sure what the atmosphere is like now.

In any event, welcome. I'm new too. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.
Thanks Denise,
I'm looking at the Chapel Hill area primarily as I've heard it has one of the best school districts in the country. I would be part of RTP as I work in the pharma/biotech industry so it wouldn't be so bad. I've heard that North Carolina is beautiful. What made you leave and move back to Indiana?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all

Hi BG,

You would probably enjoy the Chapel Hill area. Just threw out Winston Salem area as an option you might consider. It's all beautiful. Last year we lived about 45 mins. NW of Charlotte. I will never forget the beautiful sunsets EVERYDAY. Have never seen anything like it. Also had horses in a pasture across the street--that with the sunset behind it--what a picture!

We moved back because our house did not sell. We are glad to be home but enjoyed our time there in NC, my home state :-)
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:35 am
Banned

roadwarrior will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Hello All,

I've recently found myself reading this forum again after 3 years hoping that it will help me in my dilema. I am currently contemplating a move back to the States - specifically North Carolina. I had been in the States for 8 years 96 - 04 when I relocated back to the UK after a divorce so that my children could get to know England, family and friends. After almost 3 years of renting I have finally realised after a lot of effort that trying to buy a home here large enough for my family is near impossible and would leave me struggling every month. With house prices continuing to rise I have decided that it would be in our best interest to relocate back to the States. Benefits are lower cost of living, ease of buying a home, job opportunities in my industry and my children would be able to have more contact with their Father.

I'd really appreciate any first hand knowledge on the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area as this is where I plan to relocate to. I have been there once to interview but was not able to stay for very long and look around. Pro's and con's would really help me to decide i.e. education, cost of homes, weather (I have heard that the bugs there can be bad!). I'd really like to make sure I'm making the right decision. I have previously lived in Colorado and Minnesota but feel that North Carolina being on the east coast would at least allow me to be closer to the UK - less flying time and cost of going home.

Any thoughts/advice/help would be greatly appreciated
you want to bring up kids in the UK? why? thats almost child abuse. sorry to sound so cruel and heartless but NC is a really nice family oriented place. so what if they will have american accents. its much safer in NC than parts of the UK. let them live freedom here in the US rather than that orwellian nightmare in the UK. your decision and i wish you the best.

raleigh is beautiful, bery foresty with a large progressive population. good local hangouts. for a british woman you would meet a great american guy, and your life for you and the kids would be wonderful!!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:49 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Thanks Denise,
I'm looking at the Chapel Hill area primarily as I've heard it has one of the best school districts in the country. I would be part of RTP as I work in the pharma/biotech industry so it wouldn't be so bad. I've heard that North Carolina is beautiful. What made you leave and move back to Indiana?
I know that UNC-CH (Chapel Hill) is one of the best public universities in the country. I'm not so sure about K-12 though.

However, if you lived in Chapel Hill or Orange County, the commute to RTP would be pretty awful (relatively speaking). Expect at least an hour's drive each way around rush hour. This is especially true if you use I-40.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all

Ah, yes, the traffic. Now I remember why I said I'd never live in the Research Triangle Park area. I almost missed my plane back to Indy because of it in January and that was on a Saturday morning. Yes, I remember it well, now.

You'd probably LOVE Clemmons.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, yes, the traffic. Now I remember why I said I'd never live in the Research Triangle Park area. I almost missed my plane back to Indy because of it in January and that was on a Saturday morning. Yes, I remember it well, now.

You sound like a realtor. Are you a realtor?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celsius
You sound like a realtor. Are you a realtor?
No, but maybe I should be :-)

I grew up there and 99.9% of my family still lives in NC.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:18 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Expect for the Tanglewood lights at Christmas .... long, long lines of traffic then
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Good point. My folks moved from that part of town but not for that reason. It's a good thing to mention to a realtor, I suppose, but we were never held up when visiting--of course they lived on the side where the cars came out...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. My folks moved from that part of town but not for that reason. It's a good thing to mention to a realtor, I suppose, but we were never held up when visiting--of course they lived on the side where the cars came out...
I know, I'm just teasing. Thats the only time I seen any volume of traffic in Clemmons. If I had a car in front of me at the traffic lights I thought I was in a traffic jam
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:59 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

i have one word for you - recession. the major news wont touch it, but the usa is on the cusp of a major economic downturn. its a bad time to get into debt for any reason.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JohnStang
i have one word for you - recession. the major news wont touch it, but the usa is on the cusp of a major economic downturn. its a bad time to get into debt for any reason.
When do you predict this starting, John?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:08 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

a report on bloomberg.com says its already here and its describing the economy right now as a bloodbath.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...aOQ&refer=home
Old Jun 21st 2007, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I know that UNC-CH (Chapel Hill) is one of the best public universities in the country. I'm not so sure about K-12 though.

However, if you lived in Chapel Hill or Orange County, the commute to RTP would be pretty awful (relatively speaking). Expect at least an hour's drive each way around rush hour. This is especially true if you use I-40.
I'd heard that it was 30 mins from Chapel Hill to RTP. Can the communte at 8am be as long as an hour?? From my research the Chapel Hill school district appears to be the best so for my children that is where I would like to buy a home. What about going the other way around 4.30 - 5pm RTP back to Chapel Hill?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JohnStang
a report on bloomberg.com says its already here and its describing the economy right now as a bloodbath.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...aOQ&refer=home
Heard yesterday interest rates are historic lows for home mortgages which disagrees with the article...no doubt we're in a recession of sorts because of the gas prices, but aren't they twice that in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.