British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Austin Texas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-austin-texas-802461/)

K.surridge Jul 10th 2013 9:55 am

Moving to Austin Texas

Hi we are hopefully moving to Austin need to know of nice place to live a good schools for my 9 and 10 , have a deaf school sorted for my 13 daughter which is in south Austin , and do I need to live in the same school district as the deaf school or can I live in different school district and she still go to the school in south Austin :)

Yorkieabroad Jul 10th 2013 3:14 pm

Re: Moving to Austin Texas

Hi there..I'm glad you found a school that would be suitable for your deaf child...I remember you asking a while ago. I suspect that the private school would allow you to live anywhere...I know the private schools here in Houston are not "zoned" the way the public schools are. But the best place to ask is at the school itself. Then you need to look at commute vs school area for the other 2 and go from there. Hopefully someone familiar with Austin/Austin schools,will be along to help out....

Walkerhome Jul 10th 2013 6:25 pm

Hello, i have lived in Austin for 11 months now. We live in Steiner Ranch and it is great - schools for both my 7 and 18 year old are better than i could ever imagined them to be. I am within walking distance for my 7 year old - i agree you need to look at the commute as my eldest can sit in traffic for a good 40 mins or so for a journey that is only meant to take 15. Good luck with your move lovely state but be ready for the heat!!!

jjmb Jul 10th 2013 7:49 pm

In your earlier post you said you were moving to San Antonio for your husband's job. So will he still be working in San Antonio as that would make a difference to where in Austin you would want to live. Is it the Texas School of the deaf, your child is going to attend? If so, places like Circle C or Sunset valley would be good places to start as traffic to the centre of Austin is a nightmare, so the closer you are to the center the better and if you husband is travelling to San Antonio, you will need to close to the I35. Getting a really good realtor is the best thing if you are new to the area.

K.surridge Jul 11th 2013 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10793221)
Hi there..I'm glad you found a school that would be suitable for your deaf child...I remember you asking a while ago. I suspect that the private school would allow you to live anywhere...I know the private schools here in Houston are not "zoned" the way the public schools are. But the best place to ask is at the school itself. Then you need to look at commute vs school area for the other 2 and go from there. Hopefully someone familiar with Austin/Austin schools,will be along to help out....

Thanks for your reply as far as I'm aware it's a public school not sure .

K.surridge Jul 11th 2013 11:18 am

Originally Posted by jjmb (Post 10793690)
In your earlier post you said you were moving to San Antonio for your husband's job. So will he still be working in San Antonio as that would make a difference to where in Austin you would want to live. Is it the Texas School of the deaf, your child is going to attend? If so, places like Circle C or Sunset valley would be good places to start as traffic to the centre of Austin is a nightmare, so the closer you are to the center the better and if you husband is travelling to San Antonio, you will need to close to the I35. Getting a really good realtor is the best thing if you are new to the area.

Thanks for your reply yeah my husband will still be working in San Antonio and living in Austin I've been looking at south Austin because I would still like to be able to take the kids to school and pick them up if possible.

K.surridge Jul 11th 2013 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Walkerhome (Post 10793569)
Hello, i have lived in Austin for 11 months now. We live in Steiner Ranch and it is great - schools for both my 7 and 18 year old are better than i could ever imagined them to be. I am within walking distance for my 7 year old - i agree you need to look at the commute as my eldest can sit in traffic for a good 40 mins or so for a journey that is only meant to take 15. Good luck with your move lovely state but be ready for the heat!!!

Thanks for the reply are you enjoying it so far , I'm really scared but excited just really worried about the kids fitting in and settling , I would still like to be able to take the kids to and from school if possible , so I've been looking at the south Austin .