Reload this Page >

Moving to Austin

Moving to Austin

Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:44 am
Just Joined

LanaM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Austin

Hi everyone,

My name is Lana, I am 33 and I am originally from London but now living in Brazil. My husband and I are moving to Austin and I would love to make some friends as initially I won't be working (he will be working at IBM).

I also have another question, I do not drive or even have a licence and so could you tell me which area of Austin is the best place to live if you do not have a licence. I will get one but it takes time and I really do not want to be housebound.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Lana
Old Jan 7th 2015, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Austin

You could get a Metro Pass https://www.capmetro.org/

Good luck with the move!
Old Jan 7th 2015, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

unless you live in the Centre of Austin , you will need to learn to drive. The centre of Austin has plenty of buses and its cheap with various passes. They also have a lot of bike lanes. However, its very expensive and mainly high rise. Leander and Cedar Park have metro rail to downtown and I think they also have buses. In Pflugerville, which is a suburb of Austin, there is no public transport whatsoever, so you need a car to get around. Same for Round Rock. Not the best city for someone who doesn't drive but its doable.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 4:45 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lana!

Austin isn't great if you don't drive unfortunately. Downtown is OK though. If I didn't have kids I'd live there

Downtown Austin has older houses you can rent just to the north and there are bus services but also if you had a bike, it's pretty good. Loads of high rise condos. I like the downtown area of Austin since it has lots of pretty good shops including Wholefoods, there are co-ops and of course the university of Austin is there so it's pretty lively. Lots of bar/clubs/restaurants and apparently live music. I wouldn't know since I have kids, live slightly to the north and have no life!! This area would also give a decent commute to IBM for your partner since he would be heading north out of the city and against the awful traffic going into it.

If you want a more suburban lifestyle () then Great Hills would be good , near the arboretum where there are shops and grocery shops. Again, you could walk but a lot of people bike around there and it's close to the IBM site.

PM me if you like if you have more questions...