British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Arizona (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-arizona-829185/)

WhyteBoar Mar 20th 2014 9:44 pm

Moving to Arizona

Well, it looks like we're are going to be moving to Phoenix in September this year due to my husband's job. I am pretty familiar with the Valley, which is something I am pleased about because moving somewhere after one reconnaissance trip would be even more daunting!

There are a couple of questions I do have and I'd value any advice anyone is able to offer:

1. We will be bring our two cats with us. The first thing that went through my mind when my husband's company said 'August/September' was that there was no way BA would take the cats due to the temperature. I have spoken to the people at Pet Air UK and they don't think it is problem when importing in to PHX, only if you are exporting from PHX. I don't want to disbelieve them, but I wondered if anyone has any experience of bringing pets in to PHX in the late summer with BA. It seems too good to be true!

2. My husband will principally be working in Chandler. Does any one have any opinions on the best areas to live. I have had Queen Creek recommended, but does anyone have any opinions on areas which might be worth investigating.

We'd welcome any other advice any is able to give :)

sir_eccles Mar 20th 2014 9:58 pm

Re: Moving to Arizona

Welcome, there seems to be quite a rash of recent people moving here. Which is odd for no other reason than I've been looking for a new job to no avail and I'm wondering who is hiring.

WhyteBoar Mar 20th 2014 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11182967)
Welcome, there seems to be quite a rash of recent people moving here. Which is odd for no other reason than I've been looking for a new job to no avail and I'm wondering who is hiring.

It is actually one of the things that concerns me when we get over there... my getting a job. I hope you find something new.

As it happens, my husband's job is not really based in Arizona, but as I have links with Phoenix, it was the only place I would consider moving to at this time.

AZ_Alba Mar 21st 2014 6:16 am

Originally Posted by WhyteBoar (Post 11182950)
My husband will principally be working in Chandler. Does any one have any opinions on the best areas to live. I have had Queen Creek recommended, but does anyone have any opinions on areas which might be worth investigating.

We'd welcome any other advice any is able to give :)

land and home are still cheap in Queen Creek, but you will be a distance away from a lot of things and can be very rural. Chandler itself is not bad with areas like Ocotillo and much more multi ethnic. Will your husband be travelling a lot? if so you may want easy access to the freeway.
What features are you looking for?
Shopping, nightlife, rural actives, slightly cooler at the edge of the mountains, travel to work.

AZ_Alba Mar 21st 2014 6:18 am

All I know is .Net software developers seem to be in high demand. What type of work are you looking for ?

WhyteBoar Mar 21st 2014 9:15 am

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba (Post 11183588)
land and home are still cheap in Queen Creek, but you will be a distance away from a lot of things and can be very rural. Chandler itself is not bad with areas like Ocotillo and much more multi ethnic. Will your husband be travelling a lot? if so you may want easy access to the freeway.
What features are you looking for?
Shopping, nightlife, rural actives, slightly cooler at the edge of the mountains, travel to work.

I don't think we mind being a little bit further out to be honest. We're not big shoppers or nightlife types. We're more in to sports (watching and playing) and I'd like to get back to hiking and horseriding.

My husband will be travelling to the east coast a fair bit so as long as the drive to the airport isn't too horrendous.

We'll be renting for a couple of years I expect, until we are settled and we know were we would prefer to buy.

AZ_Alba Mar 21st 2014 12:45 pm

You may want to check Ahwatukee as it backs on to south mountain which is good for horse riding and hiking, also close to the I 10 for getting to the airport.

Professional sport
Baseball and basketball are in central Phoenix while nascar, ice hockey and American football are on the west side. Baseball spring training is all over the valley and college sports are in Tempe.

WhyteBoar Mar 24th 2014 10:49 am

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba (Post 11183947)
You may want to check Ahwatukee as it backs on to south mountain which is good for horse riding and hiking, also close to the I 10 for getting to the airport.

Professional sport
Baseball and basketball are in central Phoenix while nascar, ice hockey and American football are on the west side. Baseball spring training is all over the valley and college sports are in Tempe.

Thanks for the suggestion, we will look at Ahwatukee too.

Already planning our Cardinals season tickets :)

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 24th 2014 12:04 pm

May want to check with British Airways directly to verify if they have any heat embargo on pets going into Phoenix, its pretty common in Phoenix for airlines to not accept pets when temps are above 80-85.

I can't find anything directly on BA website, but various 3rd party websites on pet travel do indicate they may have an embargo on pets in various US city's when the temps are high.

WhyteBoar Mar 24th 2014 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11187955)
May want to check with British Airways directly to verify if they have any heat embargo on pets going into Phoenix, its pretty common in Phoenix for airlines to not accept pets when temps are above 80-85.

I can't find anything directly on BA website, but various 3rd party websites on pet travel do indicate they may have an embargo on pets in various US city's when the temps are high.

Thank you for your help and reply.

It is my fear that the agent at PetAir UK is mistaken. It looks as if our moving date is becoming increasingly inflexible and we'll need to be in Phoenix by 1st September. I can't find anything which says that BA will fly pets in to Phoenix when it is hot.

If this is the case I will need to decide what to do. Do I stay behind in the UK and wait for the temperature to drop, or do I go to Phoenix and board the cats in the UK until they can travel.

I guess we will have to call them directly to find out. The BA website doesn't have much information.

AdobePinon Mar 24th 2014 9:18 pm

You might be waiting 'til Christmas on that plan. An alternative might be to fly with your cat to a cooler airport and drive the rest of the way.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 24th 2014 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by WhyteBoar (Post 11188015)
Thank you for your help and reply.

It is my fear that the agent at PetAir UK is mistaken. It looks as if our moving date is becoming increasingly inflexible and we'll need to be in Phoenix by 1st September. I can't find anything which says that BA will fly pets in to Phoenix when it is hot.

If this is the case I will need to decide what to do. Do I stay behind in the UK and wait for the temperature to drop, or do I go to Phoenix and board the cats in the UK until they can travel.

I guess we will have to call them directly to find out. The BA website doesn't have much information.

Another option if they wont allow Phoenix that time of year, is to fly into San Diego or Los Angeles and then drive the rest of the way to Phoenix, only a 5-6 hour drive or so.

San Diego would be the easiest and least stressful airport, its small for a large city, and simple to navigate, and very close to the freeway to catch I-8 to Arizona, and far less traffic.

BA flies non-stop to San Diego from London Heathrow, (I think its daily again.)

Driving from So. California is about the only option as the 2 main airlines that fly to Phoenix from LA and San Diego don't allow live animals in cargo hold, but do allow cabin pets, so flying from San Diego to Phoenix might be an option, if the pets are small enough to fit under the seat in the cabin.

US Airways and Southwest are the 2 main carriers between So. California and Phoenix.

WhyteBoar Mar 24th 2014 10:57 pm

Thanks to both. Having them travel to a 'nearby' airport was one of my other thoughts a few weeks ago and I will keep an open mind about it.

Thank you for the suggestion of San Diego, I don't know why but SD hadn't crossed my mind before.

My husband tried to call BA today and they were utterly unhelpful. After being passed around to several different departments he was given the number for AirPets.

The AirPets rep said that they would use BA or United and would decide which about 7 days before the flight. Obviously BA is direct (which I would prefer), but the rep talked up United's 'PetSafe' programme and went on about air conditioned facilities etc. which would mean they would have to change planes at some point, which I am not keen on if I can avoid it.

Uncle_Bob Mar 25th 2014 8:45 pm

Its not as bad a place some people make it out to be. Excellent weather this time of the year in the 80s. Compared to Cape Cod in MA where i moved from, a foot of snow expected this week so its snow on the ground in April :eek: Screw that.

Speaking of people moving here. I walked into my local cold stone creamery the other week to be greeted by a shout of "Welcome to Cold Stone creamery", only in an English accent. A couple from Southampton purchased the franchise 5 months ago. I'm going to have to find out what visa they came over on, do you think its socially acceptable to ask :confused:

Noorah101 Mar 25th 2014 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by WhyteBoar (Post 11182950)
2. My husband will principally be working in Chandler. Does any one have any opinions on the best areas to live. I have had Queen Creek recommended, but does anyone have any opinions on areas which might be worth investigating.

Queen Creek is pretty far from Chandler. I have lots of friends living in Chandler, around the Intel area, and I find their homes really nice. No idea of the price range, but they are all very nice homes.

Rene

Noorah101 Mar 25th 2014 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob (Post 11190648)
Speaking of people moving here. I walked into my local cold stone creamery the other week to be greeted by a shout of "Welcome to Cold Stone creamery", only in an English accent. A couple from Southampton purchased the franchise 5 months ago. I'm going to have to find out what visa they came over on, do you think its socially acceptable to ask :confused:

Yes, I sure would ask! I'm always curious about other immigrants, too. :)

Rene

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 26th 2014 9:18 am

I'd say US Airways, but most of those jobs are leaving now, so suppose they will no longer be a major employer in the Phoenix area....

(They like most airlines though, pay cruddy wages compared to what most other companies pay for similar roles.)

Pulaski Mar 26th 2014 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob (Post 11190648)
....... A couple from Southampton purchased the franchise 5 months ago. I'm going to have to find out what visa they came over on, do you think its socially acceptable to ask.

Ask, but make sure you're braced not to look shocked/ surprised/ confused if it turns out to be an E-2. :unsure:

Uncle_Bob Mar 26th 2014 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11191675)
Ask, but make sure you're braced not to look shocked/ surprised/ confused if it turns out to be an E-2. :unsure:

Yep i agree now i've looked up the E-2 VISA. Sorry but i'm not to clued up on all the visas, just the ones I've been on.

I was more shocked/ surprised/ confused after i asked her what she thought of it here, she replied "There is no culture is there?" :rofl:

sir_eccles Mar 26th 2014 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob (Post 11192048)
Yep i agree now i've looked up the E-2 VISA. Sorry but i'm not to clued up on all the visas, just the ones I've been on.

I was more shocked/ surprised/ confused after i asked her what she thought of it here, she replied "There is no culture is there?" :rofl:

Typically no :-)

Which Coldstone was it?

Uncle_Bob Mar 26th 2014 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11192079)
Typically no :-)

Ah that's what I thought too when i first arrived but after some time I figured out its got pretty much what every other major city has. Because the city is a big sprawl with no main center it gives the impression that there is no culture, but there is, its just all spread out and you have to go and find it.

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11192079)
Which Coldstone was it?

Arrowhead village (the plaza with AJs fine foods in it), 67th & 101 (NW). One of 2 plazas with shops, bars and restaurants and a ACE hardware store just a handy 5 mins walk from my house.

sir_eccles Mar 26th 2014 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob (Post 11192231)
Arrowhead village (the plaza with AJs fine foods in it), 67th & 101 (NW). One of 2 plazas with shops, bars and restaurants and a ACE hardware store just a handy 5 mins walk from my house.

Eww, the Avenues.

Noorah101 Mar 27th 2014 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11192265)
Eww, the Avenues.

+ 1

Rene

Uncle_Bob Mar 27th 2014 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11192265)
Eww, the Avenues.

http://archive.azcentral.com/ent/bes...0515nhood.html

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...ad1001-ON.html

:whistle: