Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to another state during AOS

moving to another state during AOS

Old Jun 8th 2001, 5:18 am
Bomzh

Hi all! We mailed in the I-485 package to the OKC INS May 3. The certified mail
receipt indicated that the INS received that letter on May 4. The fingerprints
notification arrived June 2. I am supposed to show up for fingerprinting during the 7
day period starting June 22. The EAD interview notification arrived June 7. It is
scheduled for July 11.

Here is where the confusion comes in. I am likely to receive a job offer in Houston
VERY soon. It's an exciting, great paying job for a reputable company. Only a fool
would decline this opportunity. At present I am employed in Oklahoma in H1B status.

First of all, since it's unlikely that the OKC INS office will complete the AOS
processing by August 1, when I am likely to be starting the new job, what is the
procedure for transferring the files to the Houston INS office?

I do understand that AOS processing takes nearly 4 years in Houston, but that's
alright. I really don't care when exactly I will get that piece of green plastic
However, I am curious if the fact that the process has been started in Oklahoma and
had already moved on some speed things up in Texas?

Secondarily, my wife will be quitting her job, which was the basis for her Affidavit
of Support and looking for new employment in Houston too. Will the INS have a problem
with that?

Thanks,

Bomzh

Old Jun 8th 2001, 5:49 am
Shelley

According to processing times on Matt Udalls site
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm OKC is running at 150-180 days, where
Dallas is at almost 3 years. Isn't there anyway you can hold out a few months before
moving - think of all money and hassle you will save in not having to renew your EAD
and AP? Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >