British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Amherst/Northampton (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-amherst-northampton-696130/)

flombard Dec 7th 2010 12:34 pm

Moving to Amherst/Northampton

I will be moving rather unexpectedly from London to the USA for the first time, beginning of January. I would gratefully receive recommendations for reliable small shipment companies UK to USA and good rental real estate agents in that MA area. Thank you in advance for any such recommendation. Florence

Rete Dec 7th 2010 1:37 pm

Re: Moving to Amherst/Northampton

A lovely area to be moving to, Florence. I've good friends in Pittsfield, Dalton and Greenfield. Since I don't live there myself, I can't help with a real estate agent and/or moving company but sure some nice people will be here shortly to help you out. Welcome to Be.

tonrob Dec 7th 2010 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by flombard (Post 9026198)
I will be moving rather unexpectedly from London to the USA for the first time, beginning of January. I would gratefully receive recommendations for reliable small shipment companies UK to USA and good rental real estate agents in that MA area. Thank you in advance for any such recommendation. Florence

Hi Florence

I live about half an hour south of the area and visit Northampton quite frequently. It's been 5 years since we bought our own place but our experience was that it wasn't just a case of picking a reputable Real Estate company to use but also the quality of the agents within the company varied wildly. (Or first was shit so we complained and got a much better one). You really do need a local and up-to-date recommendation. Is there anyone locally you could ask? If you're moving through work - for example - someone in the office might know someone?

Bob Dec 7th 2010 9:25 pm

I already mentioned stuff in your other thread, but was talking about rentals...you don't want to be buying straight off the bat anyway.

Definitely rely on recommendations though for realtors if you're buying, less of a worry if you're renting, as long as you don't sign an exclusive contract.

Get used to the snow...it's a bit mental out there...oh and Yankee Candle are based out there, and they do fun stuff for the kids if you have any, and completely random, but there's a great and massive summer fair not far in the summer and in spring a huge animal fiber festival for the knitters and spinners, with the biggest knitting shop I have ever seen in my life in the area too.

tonrob Dec 7th 2010 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9027214)
Get used to the snow...it's a bit mental out there...oh and Yankee Candle are based out there, and they do fun stuff for the kids if you have any, and completely random, but there's a great and massive summer fair not far in the summer and in spring a huge animal fiber festival for the knitters and spinners, with the biggest knitting shop I have ever seen in my life in the area too.

Knitting, Bob? Really?? I was going to mention the Amherst Brewing Company and the Moan and Dove for entertainment! :p

meauxna Dec 7th 2010 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9027264)
Knitting, Bob? Really?? I was going to mention the Amherst Brewing Company and the Moan and Dove for entertainment! :p

He's knitting a rat hair sweater for the baby.

Now he's going to post and tell me it's a hairless rat.
Well of COURSE it is. Now. :rolleyes:

tonrob Dec 7th 2010 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9027369)

Everybody knows babies prefer beer. :rolleyes:

http://www.funnydb.com/big_381225405608.jpg

meauxna Dec 7th 2010 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9027385)
Everybody knows babies prefer beer. :rolleyes:

http://www.funnydb.com/big_381225405608.jpg

:thumbsup:

Bob Dec 8th 2010 12:30 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9027264)

I've been dragged out that way for the missus...plus the little one loves the sheep and bunnies...is a lovely area though...beer and knitting, not much else to do though :D

Bob Dec 8th 2010 12:31 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9027369)

well she was...recently just passed away though, so for the first time in years, we're rat free :(

meauxna Dec 8th 2010 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9027466)
well she was...recently just passed away though, so for the first time in years, we're rat free :(

I'm sorry, Bob.
I lost my little rats to cancer.

It would've been a really funny post if you hadn't had the rat die.

nun Dec 8th 2010 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9027462)
I've been dragged out that way for the missus...plus the little one loves the sheep and bunnies...is a lovely area though...beer and knitting, not much else to do though :D

What do you mean???:ohmy: Northampton has lots to do! There's the Ironhorse, the Calvin Theater and the Acadamy of Music for live shows and concerts. I lived in Northampton a few years ago and walked to see a Billy Bragg concert. There's a New century theatre company and the Pleasant Street Cinema is great. Thorns and the high street are good for shopping and there are plenty of good restaurants and bars. Amherst is right next door and you can watch UMass basketball if that's your thing. In the summer you're a short drive from Tanglewood and all the other stuff in the Berkshires like the Williamstown Theatre Festival. There's skiing in the winter and lots of opportunities for out door sports in the summer. You can even take flying lessons at the small airport and the circus and county show come to town every year. Boston is only a hour and a half away if you get bored after all that.

I've often thought about retiring to Northampton as it's the best place I've ever lived.

tonrob Dec 8th 2010 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 9028471)
What do you mean???:ohmy: Northampton has lots to do! There's the Ironhorse, the Calvin Theater and the Acadamy of Music for live shows and concerts. I lived in Northampton a few years ago and walked to see a Billy Bragg concert. There's a New century theatre company and the Pleasant Street Cinema is great. Thorns and the high street are good for shopping and there are plenty of good restaurants and bars. Amherst is right next door and you can watch UMass basketball if that's your thing. In the summer you're a short drive from Tanglewood and all the other stuff in the Berkshires like the Williamstown Theatre Festival. There's skiing in the winter and lots of opportunities for out door sports in the summer. You can even take flying lessons at the small airport and the circus and county show come to town every year. Boston is only a hour and a half away if you get bored after all that.

I've often thought about retiring to Northampton as it's the best place I've ever lived.

Yes - but apart from that there's nothing to do, is there? ;)

flombard Dec 8th 2010 12:16 pm

Hello you lovely people! could I gently remind you of the original question... can you recommend someone in the UK for a small shipment to the USA? Can I add to this... have any of you shipped a UK car out to the USA, any advice on this as well would be appreciated.
:confused:

nun Dec 8th 2010 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by flombard (Post 9028484)
Hello you lovely people! could I gently remind you of the original question... can you recommend someone in the UK for a small shipment to the USA? Can I add to this... have any of you shipped a UK car out to the USA, any advice on this as well would be appreciated.
:confused:

Don't ship the car. Sell it and buy a good used one in the USA. Cars are half the price in the US compared to the UK. Also there's the right hand drive issue