Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to America and very worried.

Moving to America and very worried.

Old Nov 14th 2022, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America and very worried.

I think if this is your worry about moving..... then you are doing pretty well!! people seem to love and go crazy about the British accent from my own experience here.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 7:11 pm
Banned

squidman is an unknown quantity at this point

I've decided against the move, it's way to risky and the hate on twitter and reddit from Americans is getting unbearable so for my safety and psychology I can't do this move, it's for the best.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 7:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squidman
I've decided against the move, it's way to risky and the hate on twitter and reddit from Americans is getting unbearable so for my safety and psychology I can't do this move, it's for the best.
Good decision.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Alright, bit weird considering the overwhelming response on here that negative experiences are rare. I live in Canada and have only had one, from a guy who was "Irish" and I think just looking for conflict with anyone.

Overall I've had a lot great experiences after I've had people notice Im British.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 8:02 pm
Banned

Most of you are not in my age bracket (20's) and that the demographic that is the most common on reddit and twitter. A young person like me could never ever interact with American my age without myself getting abuse.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 8:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Most of you are not in my age bracket (20's) and that the demographic that is the most common on reddit and twitter. A young person like me could never ever interact with American my age without myself getting abuse.

Stop it. You don’t have a clue what you are talking about. You’ve made your decision, go away and enjoy it.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you get all your information from Redditt & Twitter then you deserve what you get. Depending where you are from in the UK and say you moved to Liverpool would you believe all the stories about Scousers giving other's grief especially if they found out you were a Manc or vice versa?
Old Nov 17th 2022, 8:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You have no clue how old any of us are.

And it's looking like you're just confirming everybody's suspicions and are only here to troll. As you'll see from the responses above, nobody is going to bite if that's your intention.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 8:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, if you're a single guy in your 20's you would be in heaven over here. Unless you have three eyes, or more warts than a toad, you will pretty much have girls lining up to date you.

Walk away from that if you want to, but if I was your age today, and knowing what I only found out later, I would rip someone's arm off if they handed me an offer to relocate me to the US.

There are over 40 million Americans in their 20's, so which ever way you try to twist the numbers, only a very small minority are active on the social media platforms you mentioned. Once and for all, what you're seeing online is NOT representative of the Americans you would meet while living here.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it isn't an opportunity that you later regret turning down. You know you could give it a try and if you feel uncomfortable/threatened or whatever else you feel will happen then you could always go back to the UK.

Have you ever thought about making a quick trip over for a vacation first so you can see for yourself how reality is compared to the fictional Twitter and Reddit?
Old Nov 17th 2022, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

lol, this has to be a wind up
Old Nov 18th 2022, 4:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
lol, this has to be a wind up
you can think what you like but I've read enough to know what young Americans are like and think.
Old Nov 18th 2022, 4:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

you can think what you like but I've read enough to know what young Americans are like and think.
'Young Americans' of which there are more than 70 Million are not a monolith.

You on the other hand are a moron. Please feel free to remain in the UK. We don't need more of that trait in the gene pool here
Old Nov 18th 2022, 4:52 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

...I've read enough...
Clearly not.
Old Nov 18th 2022, 5:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming for a moment that you're not just a troll, I am now totally confused as to why you ever joined BE and posted your original question, as on the basis of no real-world experience of America you have argued with all the advice you have been given here, advice that for BE is remarkably consistent from everyone who has posted.

So if you already knew, in your own mind at least, that life was going to be miserable for you in the US, what were you looking for from the members of BE? Did you just want everyone to confirm your fears?

OK, the moment is over, so perhaps you are just a troll.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 18th 2022 at 5:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.