Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to America and very worried.

Moving to America and very worried.

Old Nov 11th 2022, 12:52 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America and very worried.

Originally Posted by squidman
So I'm just supposed to completly ignore everything i've read online
Absolutely. Especially ignore everything you've read online on this site because unlike you the folks here have been to the US and have interacted with Americans. Definitely not the sort of people you should be listening to, get out now while your sanity is still intact.

Old Nov 11th 2022, 1:11 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

What people are trying to convey is that that the experience of British people living over here indicate no anti British sentiment. Light teasing, yes, but no more than Americans get in the UK, and in either case it is inconsequential unless you are incredibly thin skinned. Online people are real, but it is your decision as to whether you think online TikTok users looking for click bait paint a more honest picture than the online people on this forum who have done exactly what you are about to do.

In any case, you said you have never been in the USA. I would get yourself over to Ohio for at least a few days before you commit to this move. Pay for it yourself and take a few days holiday if you need to. Living in the USA is a major change in lifestyle versus the UK. Most love it, but a few not so much, but even a few days here will tell you if you will be able to give it a go. It takes a while to settle in, especially if you are single, so be prepared for that. Give it at least a year before you decide whether to stay or not. It’s perfectly normal to be nervous and hesitant about the move but you have a golden opportunity that many would give an arm and a leg for, so do not throw it away because of what online people say, without checking it out yourself.

Bottom line is that it would be a huge mistake to move to any foreign country if you have never been there. Life in the USA is far different from the UK, and not what you see or hear on TV or online.

Old Nov 11th 2022, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes there are real people saying that and lots of people believe it, it's amazing how I never see anything neutral or even "nice things" said about British people from Americans online.
I'm not sure if you are a troll but I'll give you benefit of the doubt for now.

Maybe you are using this as an excuse to not move because you are not convinced 100% that this is the right thing for you to do? Maybe moving from your comfort zone to somewhere unfamiliar scares you and you need a way to convince yourself that it is the fault of the Americans and the way they treat Brits?
If so then that's ok. Lots of us questioned if the move was right or not. Some move over and fit right in and others take a while to settle and some never do and return.

If this is a good opportunity for you then go for it. If you find you can't cope and it's not what you wanted then at least you tried!

But quit reading crap on the internet!!
Old Nov 11th 2022, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm just supposed to completly ignore everything i've read online and have nothing to worry about? like online people aren't real people?
There are also people that say the Queen was a lizard and that aliens exist. Would you pay attention to them?

As above, if you're genuine and not a troll, then you need to learn to look at proper sources, rather than Tiktok/Reddit etc. My 15 year old comes and tells me amazing 'facts' he's found out on Tiktok and doesn't understand that most of it is utter tosh. He's learning though, I think you need to do the same.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There are also people that say the Queen was a lizard and that aliens exist. Would you pay attention to them?
Camilla maybe.... however, although we will never, ever, see the evidence, I am pretty sure aliens exist... even if they are microbes...
Old Nov 11th 2022, 1:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm just supposed to completly ignore everything i've read online and have nothing to worry about? like online people aren't real people?
Trolls are real ..... in the on-line world. There are many of them, I see them on-line every day, hanging out in forums and on social media platforms, making assinine comments to try to annoy people and wind them up, however anyone with half a brain ignores them entirely.

I have never see a troll in the "real world" (unless you want to count the single a-hole I mentioned previously). Draw your own conclusion.

FWIW, Outside of Russian troll farms, most trolls seem to live in their parents' basement, which is presumably why I have never seen an actuall troll in the real world.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 11th 2022 at 1:58 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Trolls are real ..... in the on-line world. There are many of them, I see them on-line every day. I have never see a troll in the "real world" (unless you want to count the single a-hole I mentioned previously). Draw your own conclusion.

FWIW, Outside of Russian troll farms, most trolls seem to live in their parents' basement, which is presumably why I have never seen an actuall troll in the real world.
I thought they were real and lived under bridges and scared Billy goats??
Old Nov 11th 2022, 2:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There are also people that say the Queen was a lizard and that aliens exist. ....
You make an interesting point, because I don't think there are groups of people on-line who post vociferously about the Queen having been a real person, nor is there an active community of "spherical earthers", nor people who post about how JFK was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald acting alone, end of story, etc,. ..... So just becuase there is an active online "community" spouting some flavour of nonsense, and little or no evidence of counter arguments, does not mean that the online conspiracy theories are correct, or have any validity at all.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 4:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So just becuase there is an active online "community" spouting some flavour of nonsense, and little or no evidence of counter arguments, does not mean that the online conspiracy theories are correct, or have any validity at all.

Alex Jones is at last being hit in the pocket for spouting ludicrous invented bilge about the Sandy Hook shootings. I wish more of these morons were held accountable.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 4:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I've been insulted more in the UK than I have in the USA. Heck the yanks were even welcoming enough to elect me to City Council. In the US when people find out I was a British police officer for 37 years I am frequently thanked for my service, in the UK I was more frequently spat on.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes there are real people saying that and lots of people believe it, it's amazing how I never see anything neutral or even "nice things" said about British people from Americans online.
I really don't see what your problem is? Just tell everyone you meet that you are Russian and offer them some Fentanyl (you should pick some up from Mexico on your way).
Old Nov 11th 2022, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously someone who stereotypes Americans in the most obvious manner. You should move here. It will be a hugely enlightening experience for you.

There are people from ALL corners of the globe in the USA (at its highest in years, incidentally), America is not a place of Irish ex-pats who haven't forgiven the famine foisted on their ancestors by the briddish (well maybe parts of Boston). I.e. Nobody gives a crap.

Last edited by neill; Nov 11th 2022 at 6:31 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
(well maybe parts of Boston). I.e. Nobody gives a crap.
I dont think ive met anyone in Boston over 10+ years who cares, either. Except the ladieeeeeesssssssssssss!
Old Nov 12th 2022, 7:55 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

My extent of being abused for being British in my 10 years in the US was my father in law saying he couldn't believe his daughter was marrying a redcoat.

He was joking.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve been here for nearly 10 years now, and my experience has been completely opposite. Brits seem well regarded over here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.