Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to America and very worried.

Moving to America and very worried.

Old Nov 10th 2022, 5:11 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America and very worried.

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm in my 70's and NEVER EVER heard anyone say they speak American. They say they speak English. While we have different names for different items, we do speak a common language as the British and most Canadians.

BTW, the US does NOT have an official language.
i received
in my newsfeed on UK English compared to US and Canadian English.

Old Nov 10th 2022, 8:45 pm
Banned

squidman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Methinks you're on social media too much ...........
Well I have never been to America before so I wanted to find out what Americans though about British people, and to be honest stuff that Americans say about British/English people makes me very depressed and angry, they never seem to target any other nationality with such hate like they do with the British, I never ever see anything positive about British people (Americans do say lots of positive things about other nationalities but not the British), real people use social media and a lot of them my age (mid 20's) so it can't just be written off as social media, though it has to be said the responses i've read have been very surprising to say the least.

I'm never lived in another country and this is going to be a huge move and I don't want it to be huge mistake.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Why are we spending time answering a troll??

It's a slow morning here ......
Old Nov 10th 2022, 9:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squidman
Well I have never been to America before so I wanted to find out what Americans though about British people, and to be honest stuff that Americans say about British/English people makes me very depressed and angry, they never seem to target any other nationality with such hate like they do with the British, I never ever see anything positive about British people (Americans do say lots of positive things about other nationalities but not the British), real people use social media and a lot of them my age (mid 20's) so it can't just be written off as social media, though it has to be said the responses i've read have been very surprising to say the least.

I'm never lived in another country and this is going to be a huge move and I don't want it to be huge mistake.
Sounds to me as if it would indeed be a very big mistake. I think you should definitely stay put in the UK.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 9:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have the visa issues sorted out, and i'm going to be moving to the US next year (January) to Columbus Ohio due to my company transfer from the UK to the US. I am really thinking of not going due to the massive anti British sentiment in the US. Everything I read from reddit, twitter, tiktok, online news etc.. It seems Americans really hate British people, accents, culture with an absolute passion, are my fears unfounded or is there a general anti Britsh sentiment in America? will I have to change my accent so Americans don't give me so much hate for the way I talk and mock me? .....
You're just a troll, right? ..... In 20 years I have only experienced one, single a-hole who had a negative opinion about being British, who decided that singing a song at a backyard bbq, about the Revolutionary war, would be amusing. Thankfully I only met him once.

On the flip side I have had, at this point, after 21 years in the US, and having an accent that I don't think I could change even if I wanted to, thousands of positive interactions with Americans who made positive comments about my accent, asked where I am from, and how I came to be in the US. Mostly the conversations are with people I meet in shops, restaurants, bars, on the street at bus stops, _etc.,_ and sometimes through my employment, or my own business. I have already had two such conversations so far this week!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 10th 2022 at 10:26 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Expatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming this is a serious post, I’ve lived in the US for approaching 40 years and have never experienced any anti-British sentiment. On the contrary, while my British accent was stronger in the early days, it was nothing but friendly interest in my story getting to the US. My accent is more American than British now, but still noticeably British to some, and it’s still the same situation when it’s noticed. I can only guess you’ve experienced some one-off or isolated remarks/hatred that are NOT indicative of the vast majority of Americans opinions of the British.

And OP: The other possibility is your particular personality or demeanor won’t go over well with Americans. I’m not saying that’s the case, but if your “I was born with a better pot to piss in” type of Brit (Aloof etc.) that won’t go over well in any other country, especially the US. Americans like people who like the US and want to be here, and don’t say things like “this or that is better in my country” etc. If you stay for long enough and your accent starts to change over the years, it will not be seen as anything other than you are starting to fit in, in my experience. Just don’t fake it, and depending on were you’re from in the UK, you may never lose it anyway, but it won’t be seen negatively here.

Last edited by Expatrian; Nov 10th 2022 at 9:38 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Most Americans I have interacted with love UK accents. If you get a stroppy Yank asking about your accent ask them what the official language of the US is. They will say it's American which is wrong then smugly reply it is actually English in most states and I speak English perfectly well as I am from England.

Nothing to worry about.
Only on the State level I believe. The Senate couldnt get it through on the Fed level I believe (English as official language).
Old Nov 10th 2022, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're just a troll, right? ..... In 20 years I have only experienced one, single a-hole who had a negative opinion about being British. Thankfully I only met him once.

On the flip side I have had, at this point, after 21 years in the US, and having an accent that I don't think I could change even if I wanted to, thousands of positive interactions with Americans who made positive comments about my accent, asked where I am from, and how I came to be in the US. I have already had two such conversations so far this week!
Maybe a drunk troll. Although I've written some of my best material on here whilst being drunk.

But yes, quite laughable!
Old Nov 10th 2022, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm in my 70's and NEVER EVER heard anyone say they speak American. They say they speak English. While we have different names for different items, we do speak a common language as the British and most Canadians.

BTW, the US does NOT have an official language.
As I suspected, at some State levels, yes, Fed, no.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I am quite embarrassed by the number of young women that hit on me, many of them are younger than my daughters. People are generally curious about where I came from, the monarchy and cultural differences, never have I encountered hostility. I'd say that Brits are more likely to slate Americans as a nation than the other way round
Old Nov 10th 2022, 11:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I am quite embarrassed by the number of young women that hit on me, many of them are younger than my daughters. ...
Yes, this happens to me too. .... To have a young waitress stand by my table and gush "I just luurve your accent", while I am in a restaurant with my wife, is rather awkward.

That I am from Sheffield, and when I lived and worked in London, my accent apparently had the opposite effect on women, makes it surreal from my personal perspective.

Well I have never been to America before so I wanted to find out what Americans though about British people, ....
I read your posts to my wife. She says you're an idiot. As she's an American, albeit one who luurves my accent, I'm not sure if this supports my point of view or yours.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 11th 2022 at 1:06 am.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Expatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Maybe a drunk troll. Although I've written some of my best material on here whilst being drunk.

But yes, quite laughable!
I only admit partial resemblance to this remark
Old Nov 11th 2022, 12:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, this happens to me too. .... To have a young waitress stand by my table and gush "I just luurve your accent", while I am in a restaurant with my wife, is rather awkward.

That I am from Sheffield, and when I lived and worked in London, my accent apparently had the opposite effect on women, makes it surreal from my personal perspective.

I read your posts to my wife. She says you're an idiot. As she's an American, albeit one who luurves my accent, I'm not sure if this supports my point of view or yours.
So I'm just supposed to completly ignore everything i've read online and have nothing to worry about? like online people aren't real people?
Old Nov 11th 2022, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm just supposed to completly ignore everything i've read online and have nothing to worry about? like online people aren't real people?
There are people online who say men can have babies you know actually give birth to one. Are these real people?
Old Nov 11th 2022, 12:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There are people online who say men can have babies you know actually give birth to one. Are these real people?
Well yes there are real people saying that and lots of people believe it, it's amazing how I never see anything neutral or even "nice things" said about British people from Americans online.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.