British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to America from the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-america-uk-729570/)

jcsnide Aug 22nd 2011 1:40 pm

Moving to America from the UK

Hello, I've just come back from an extended holiday in America and have decided I'd like to move there next April. It shouldn't be too difficult for me to do as I have dual-citizenship between USA and UK and have and all the appropriate documents (SSN, etc) to make my move. I was just wanting to hear from anyone who has done/is doing the same thing as me. If anyone could offer any information on how easy it is to find a place to rent, a job (what's the UK equivalent of high school diploma?), how easy it is to re-take my driving test over there and buy a car, car insurance, health insurance and anything I've missed out, that would be brilliant. Looking forward to hearing any information/advice anyone has to offer. Thanks very much!

avanutria Aug 22nd 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Moving to America from the UK

Hello,

A lot of things vary by state. Do you know where you'd like to move to?

Be aware that it's very difficult for many people to find a job at the moment. You may want to wait until you've either lined up a job to go to or have sufficient savings to last a year or so while you look for work.

Jerseygirl Aug 22nd 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by jcsnide (Post 9574768)
Hello, I've just come back from an extended holiday in America and have decided I'd like to move there next April. It shouldn't be too difficult for me to do as I have dual-citizenship between USA and UK and have and all the appropriate documents (SSN, etc) to make my move. I was just wanting to hear from anyone who has done/is doing the same thing as me. If anyone could offer any information on how easy it is to find a place to rent, a job (what's the UK equivalent of high school diploma?), how easy it is to re-take my driving test over there and buy a car, car insurance, health insurance and anything I've missed out, that would be brilliant. Looking forward to hearing any information/advice anyone has to offer. Thanks very much!

Hello and welcome to BE.

As already mentioned it would be best if you could give us some idea where you would like to move to...please don't say Florida. :D

You mentioned high school diploma? Do you have a uni degree? If not you are going to be very limited to what type of job you will get...think flipping burgers.

Driving tests are simple...nothing like the UK driving test. You may or may not have to resit the test...it depends what state you live in. Health insurance...unless you get a job which includes group coverage...it will cost you plenty. Even with insurance there are co-pays, deductibles and medications to pay for.

jcsnide Aug 22nd 2011 4:19 pm

I'd be moving to Iowa for at least six months. It's something I've wanted to do for a while and am recently fortunate enough to be able to afford it.
Irritatingly, I have no degree and my educational background is lacking. I have a family member working for a temping agency so will try and get my foot in the door through that. Or without a degree would that be pointless? I will be taking a short course in American sign language also so perhaps that'll open up a few things? Also, would it be worth taking out insurance in the UK before moving? Would I be able to just get annual travel insurance? And is it right that once you've bought a car in America, insurance is covered by vehicle and not person? So many questions, sorry! Thanks for your input.

Sally Redux Aug 22nd 2011 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by jcsnide (Post 9575078)
Irritatingly, I have no degree and my educational background is lacking.

You make it sound like this is something one is born with.

another bloody yank Aug 22nd 2011 4:33 pm

I'd be moving to Iowa

Wow. Wasn't expecting that.

jcsnide Aug 22nd 2011 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9575110)
You make it sound like this is something one is born with.

I don't mean to. If I've offended you, I'm sorry.

jcsnide Aug 22nd 2011 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 9575118)
Wow. Wasn't expecting that.

It's a lovely place

ukintexas Aug 22nd 2011 4:46 pm

I'd be moving to Iowa for at least six months. It's something I've wanted to do for a while and am recently fortunate enough to be able to afford it.
Irritatingly, I have no degree and my educational background is lacking. I have a family member working for a temping agency so will try and get my foot in the door through that. Or without a degree would that be pointless? I will be taking a short course in American sign language also so perhaps that'll open up a few things? Also, would it be worth taking out insurance in the UK before moving? Would I be able to just get annual travel insurance? And is it right that once you've bought a car in America, insurance is covered by vehicle and not person? So many questions, sorry! Thanks for your input.

Hi there

I think having a degree in the US seems to be more relevant than in the UK. However, it's not a deal breaker when looking for work! Agencies are a good idea, as is looking around on Monster, or even looking at the companies directly that are located in the area you're heading towards.
As for car insurance, I know in Texas that it covers the car, not the person driving in that I can have others drive my car under my insurance. Not sure if that's the same in Iowa.
As for the surprise at you going to Iowa - I guess he might have been expdecting you to say Florida as that's where most of the individuals who talk about wanting to move to the US after an extended holiday are looking to head to!
Good luck with your plans and feel free to ask as many question as you have. That's what this forum is for, and what's helped us all many times over in the past.

avanutria Aug 22nd 2011 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by jcsnide (Post 9575122)
It's a lovely place

It is indeed. A friend of mine is from Iowa and loves to go back for the state fair every year. It's just not a common destination for most expats on this forum, that's why ABY was surprised.

Here's the website for Iowa's department of motor vehicles:

http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/index.htm

If you rent a car for your first few weeks and you rent it from the UK, insurance is usually included. You then have a couple of weeks to arrange buying a car and buying insurance. Most insurance companies will allow you to buy a policy when you have a particular car in mind, and when you go to test drive it if you decide it's not the right car for you they will let you cancel the policy. But check with the company. You can't drive the car off the dealer's lot without having insurance.

We rented via Budget when we arrived, and they let us return the car early and get part of our rental cost back.

Elvira Aug 22nd 2011 4:56 pm

It's a lovely place

I come from Des Moines. Somebody had to.

When you come from Des Moines you either accept the fact without question and settle down with a girl called Bobbie and get a job in the Firestone factory and live there forever and ever or you spend your adolescence moaning at length about what a dump it is and how you can't wait to get out and then you settle down with a local girl named Bobbie and get a job in the Firestone factory and live there forever and ever.

I mused for a few moments on the question of which was worse, to lead a life so boring that you are easily enchanted or a life so full of stimulus that you are easily bored. But then it occurred to me that musing is a pointless waste of anyone's time, and instead I went off to see if I could find a Baby Ruth candy bar, a far more profitable exercise.

:)

another bloody yank Aug 22nd 2011 5:42 pm

It's a lovely place

I know.:)

Jerseygirl Aug 22nd 2011 6:24 pm

We are surprised by Iowa because it seems every man and his dog who joins the US forums want to move to Florida. ;)

Unfortunately if you purchased travel insurance in the UK it would not be valid because you are coming to the US to be a US resident.

Not sure how useful sign language would be in getting a job.

Bob Aug 22nd 2011 7:28 pm

Welcome to BE and good luck.

If you're a bloke over 18, hope you've signed up for SS, and have been filing your tax returns.

Getting a GED is a piece of piss and better than A-levels if you've got nothing else.

Getting a degree would be a seriously better option, even if you went via a local community college.

Health Insurance would be your biggest concern without a job and no, you can't get this from the UK.

Apfelkuchen Aug 22nd 2011 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 9575181)
I come from Des Moines. Somebody had to.

When you come from Des Moines you either accept the fact without question and settle down with a girl called Bobbie and get a job in the Firestone factory and live there forever and ever or you spend your adolescence moaning at length about what a dump it is and how you can't wait to get out and then you settle down with a local girl named Bobbie and get a job in the Firestone factory and live there forever and ever.

I mused for a few moments on the question of which was worse, to lead a life so boring that you are easily enchanted or a life so full of stimulus that you are easily bored. But then it occurred to me that musing is a pointless waste of anyone's time, and instead I went off to see if I could find a Baby Ruth candy bar, a far more profitable exercise.

:)

:rofl: Haven't read that book for years, but I loved it.