Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to America, Trouble deciding where!!!

Moving to America, Trouble deciding where!!!

Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:17 am
Just Joined

kay1990 is just really nicekay1990 is just really nicekay1990 is just really nicekay1990 is just really nicekay1990 is just really nicekay1990 is just really nicekay1990 is just really nicekay1990 is just really nice
Question Moving to America, Trouble deciding where!!!

Hi, My name is kayleigh and me and my partner are planning to move to America very soon and are in the process of applying for the visas and work. We are currently having trouble deciding where abouts to move to! Is there any state that you recommend that we avoid?? Is there any state that you recommend is a good place to work and live?? we are not sure what we want yet and would really appreciate any tips and help of anyone who is living over there or is also planning to move over there too.
Thank you
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:18 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America, Trouble deciding where!!!

start with sorting out a visa.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kay1990
Hi, My name is kayleigh and me and my partner are planning to move to America very soon and are in the process of applying for the visas and work. We are currently having trouble deciding where abouts to move to! Is there any state that you recommend that we avoid?? Is there any state that you recommend is a good place to work and live?? we are not sure what we want yet and would really appreciate any tips and help of anyone who is living over there or is also planning to move over there too.
Thank you
Hi and welcome to BE. So pleased you have found us.

I think what Manc has so succinctly pointing out is that before you start looking at the best areas to live your first step should be researching/holding a visa etc to move here. Do you currently hold a green card/visa/citizenship? It's just it wouldn't be much use if everyone started sharing their thoughts on the best places to love in the US, if you don't have the right paperwork to move here. You'd be surprised by the amount of people who come on BE and think it's easy to move over here and so start looking at best places to live before they've even thought if they qualify to get the relevant paperwork So hence us asking.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi and welcome to BE. So pleased you have found us.

I think what Manc has so succinctly pointing out is that before you start looking at the best areas to live your first step should be researching/holding a visa etc to move here. Do you currently hold a green card/visa/citizenship? It's just it wouldn't be much use if everyone started sharing their thoughts on the best places to love in the US, if you don't have the right paperwork to move here. You'd be surprised by the amount of people who come on BE and think it's easy to move over here and so start looking at best places to live before they've even thought if they qualify to get the relevant paperwork So hence us asking.
Florida seems very popular.

What Profession are you in? What visa are you getting, some take a long time.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 6:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the right to work in the US, well where ever you can find a job.

You mention you're applying for visa's and work, which indicates you won't be doing any moving anytime soon unfortunately.

If you're going down the work route, you get a job offer and employer sponsors your visa, if it isn't a company transfer and you qualify for the H1B, you wouldn't be starting till October.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully, they are also not being taken to the cleaners by one of those "visa agencies" that promise to sort out visas and jobs for several thousand dollars per person.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Thank you
Who are you applying to?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What visa are you applying for?

If its a spouse/family member type of visa then, yes, you can live wherever you want; but if it is a work related visa then that has to be applied for by the prospective employer -not you - and this will define where you will need to move to.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

It seems, for some reason, I accidentally deleted my last post.

Who/what/where are you "applying"?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

International Falls, Minnesota. It's a Tad-Bit Fresh this time of year.

Jim.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

jambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to alljambo101 is a name known to all

Charleston and Savannah are nice cities..
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:12 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Thank you
I am replying on the basis that this is a genuine post.

Much will depend on whether you have kids, what you want out of life here, what kind of lifestyle you want to have and how old you are.

If you can tell us some more, I and others might be able to advise further.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point

San Francisco Bay Area
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hamtramk Michigan
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

huma_056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Moving to America, Trouble deciding where!!!

Hi,
I have been intending to move to America for some time, and had the same problem as you. I first wnated to move to the sunny state of Florida, but it was not financialy viable. I then tried California, but again, another issue occured; eartquakes. Eventually, I looked for somewhere more practical, and West Virginia came up on the cards. Although it is not the sunniest an dmost exciting place, it is cheaper, and more friendlier. I hope this helps. Also, you need a visa. A green card seems the answer, but getting one is a tough challenge. It all depends on you education. If this is to hard, maybe consider a HB-1 visa (temporary work visa). It may not be perfect, but you might get sponsored later on once your in America. If all else fails, maybe try an E-2 visa. It does mean you have to buy a business, but if it succeeds, it could be very benificial. Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.