British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to America with my GF -VISA issues (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-america-my-gf-visa-issues-763930/)

mattpaul Jul 4th 2012 9:09 pm

Moving to America with my GF -VISA issues

Hi,

I am moving to America in September to start a PHD. This is fully funded by New York University. I am entering on the F-1 VISA.

I have a long-term girlfriend (4 years). She wants to come with me. The website says she would be able to come across on a b-2 as long as we provide evidence of strong ties. We have prior house leases together, she is in my will and we recently opened a bank account together. It has however been suggested that as I am there, and we're only boyfriend/girlfriend it might seem that she wont want to leave so therefore will be denied.

Anyone got ideas or been through this.

thanks
matt

materialcontroller Jul 4th 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Moving to America with my GF -VISA issues

Three words of advice.

Don't do it.

civilservant Jul 4th 2012 9:22 pm

The problem is if she is denied the B2 she may well not be granted ESTA to travel on the VWP. If this was the case she could not visit you at all in the US for the duration of not being able to get ESTA.

How long are you expecting to be in the US on the F1?

mattpaul Jul 4th 2012 9:28 pm

its 5-7 years to complete the phd.

we thought about this issue. the alternative option is that she lies. It's something we're not keen on doing, but she could just say that she is going to visit friends, as she does have a number of friends out there.

materialcontroller Jul 4th 2012 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by mattpaul (Post 10155010)
its 5-7 years to complete the phd.

we thought about this issue. the alternative option is that she lies. It's something we're not keen on doing, but she could just say that she is going to visit friends, as she does have a number of friends out there.

You do realise that the "ties" you've listed are basically worthless and that your gf has virtually no realistic chance of being granted a B2 visa? What's wrong with her using the VWP and visiting you for 90 days at a time instead?

civilservant Jul 4th 2012 9:39 pm

These show ties to each other - but a B2 is a visitor visa. They want to see HER having strong ties TO THE UK. This isn't about you as a couple, as her application would stand on it's own merits and your F1 wouldn't come into it.... in fact if anything it's a negative, since she might be tempted to overstay with her partner.

I would agree with materialcontroller, stick with the VWP and 90 day visits. It removes the potential pitfalls of being refused and not being able to see her for sometime.

ian-mstm Jul 4th 2012 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by mattpaul (Post 10154974)
I have a long-term girlfriend (4 years).

For cryin' out loud... just get married to her. She'll get an F-2 visa and you guys will be just fine.

... the alternative option is that she lies.
If she lies and gets caught, she faces a lifetime ban from the US. That's probably not a good idea considering you're going to be in the US for 5-7 years.

You're about to start a PhD... you've got some smarts... I suggest you use them!

Ian

Noorah101 Jul 4th 2012 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by mattpaul (Post 10155010)
we thought about this issue. the alternative option is that she lies.

No, the alternative is not to lie. NEVER lie to any immigration official or on any immigration forms. The alternative would be to get married and have her get an F-2 visa.

It's something we're not keen on doing, but she could just say that she is going to visit friends, as she does have a number of friends out there.
If you are cohabitating and can prove it, she can try to get a B-2 cohabitating partner visa. These are a tad easier to get than a regular B-2 tourist visa, because it shows you guys already live together, and she just wants to go to the USA for as long as you are there. She will not be able to work in the USA, but if her B-2 visa is approved, she can probably stay 6 to 12 months at a time instead of 90 days on the VWP.

I notice in your initial post you say you have "prior house leases". Does that mean you don't have a *current* house lease together? Do you currently live together?

Rene

retzie Jul 5th 2012 12:13 am

Could she qualify for a work visa on her own merits? Even if she does, it may not be very easy to find a job and an employer willing to sponsor her, but it would be a good option if she's in a suitable line of work. (I know a PhD student +1 who took this path. The relationship didn't survive, mind, but ignore that bit!)

Originally Posted by mattpaul (Post 10154974)
I am moving to America in September to start a PHD. This is fully funded by New York University. I am entering on the F-1 VISA.

Congratulations! Tangential question: do you already have your F-1? If not, I don't suppose you have been offered the option of a J-1?? (This is a matter of where the funding is coming from. Since yours is from the institution, it sounds like you might qualify.) The reason I ask is that if you do go the route of marriage, your wife-to-be would be able to get a J-2, which would allow her to work.

Noorah101 Jul 5th 2012 12:35 am

Originally Posted by retzie (Post 10155186)
Could she qualify for a work visa on her own merits? Even if she does, it may not be very easy to find a job and an employer willing to sponsor her, but it would be a good option if she's in a suitable line of work. (I know a PhD student +1 who took this path. The relationship didn't survive, mind, but ignore that bit!)

Congratulations! Tangential question: do you already have your F-1? If not, I don't suppose you have been offered the option of a J-1?? (This is a matter of where the funding is coming from. Since yours is from the institution, it sounds like you might qualify.) The reason I ask is that if you do go the route of marriage, your wife-to-be would be able to get a J-2, which would allow her to work.

Can an F-2 visa holder not work?

Rene

ian-mstm Jul 5th 2012 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10155202)
Can an F-2 visa holder not work?

No.

Ian

tonrob Jul 5th 2012 1:44 am

Slightly OT - but relevent to this forum in general. Why do people often write the word visa in capital letters?

Just one of those questions that's always been at the back of my mind.

Noorah101 Jul 5th 2012 2:23 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10155273)
Slightly OT - but relevent to this forum in general. Why do people often write the word visa in capital letters?

I'd say that's very OT, but to answer your question, I usually capitalize the type of visa just to make it stand out.

Rene

Dorothy Jul 5th 2012 2:29 am

It helps differentiate VISA from MasterCard or AmEx. ;)

MoshiMoshi Jul 5th 2012 3:36 am

Originally Posted by retzie (Post 10155186)

Tangential question: do you already have your F-1? If not, I don't suppose you have been offered the option of a J-1?? (This is a matter of where the funding is coming from. Since yours is from the institution, it sounds like you might qualify.) The reason I ask is that if you do go the route of marriage, your wife-to-be would be able to get a J-2, which would allow her to work.

+1

Isn't there a member here who's just got a J1 for studying in the US (albeit undergrad)?

I get irrationally annoyed by this. I know people are just getting confused with the credit card, but it still reads as shouting. VISA! How can I get a f*&ing VISA? When will my VIIISAAAAAAA come through?