British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   moving to america/canda etc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-america-canda-etc-770068/)

emmawhitfield86 Aug 31st 2012 1:03 am

moving to america/canda etc

Hi,

I am new here, I have been wantnig to move to USA Since I was 13 years of age I have been attracted to the USA for a long time. I have not done anything about it I am now 25 old enough to try and sort out my life etc I would like to do it before I am 30 years old.

Thing is i am currently unemployed in the UK, and looking for work daily as well as looking for work in the states. or jobs over here that I can move to the states with if that makes sense.

I no the process is long to move out over there but it is something I wish to do(& Expensive). I would like to no how to go about trying to sort it out to move over there & I would like a rough idea how much I would need to earn/save before going over there I no I am going to try and save to have a holiday over there before making my mind up about moving there. Would I be able to apply for jobs while I am on holiday out there?.

Thanks for your help in advance.

TimNiceBut Aug 31st 2012 1:04 am

Re: moving to america/canda etc

Before you can even think about the move, what sort of visa do you think you can get? Are you a US citizen?

fatbrit Aug 31st 2012 1:09 am

Originally Posted by emmawhitfield86 (Post 10256027)
I am new here, I have been wantnig to move to USA Since I was 13 years of age I have been attracted to the USA for a long time. I have not done anything about it I am now 25 old enough to try and sort out my life etc I would like to do it before I am 30 years old.

That's good. So presumably after planning it for a dozen years you've got a PhD in a suitable ology to wow US companies with? Or perhaps you're not the academic type and have half a million bucks lying spare from your entrepreneurial skills to buy your way in?

emmawhitfield86 Aug 31st 2012 1:15 am

Nope, I only have qualifications in ICT, not to a degree level but I am thinking of going to do my level 3 ICT Course so i can think about going to UNI before moving over there because with out a degree I don't think I would be able to get a job over there.

Or is there any other way?. the visa I would be applying for is 90 day visa & no I am a UK citizen. Yeah I have been wanting to do this for a few years but not actually gone ahead with anything.

I also have quite extensive work experience till my previous job which I got made redundant from.

Would like a bit of advice what is best to get a job here or over there or what? to actually get a green card etc? I have no family over there but i no people over there.

Sally Redux Aug 31st 2012 1:16 am

etc? Where else would you consider?

emmawhitfield86 Aug 31st 2012 1:21 am

I'd consider canada and the states, id rather move some where like this because I don't think id be happy any where else. As it is something I have always wanted to do.

TimNiceBut Aug 31st 2012 1:21 am

There is no "90 day visa" for the US if you're a UK citizen. What you're thinking of is the VWP (Visa Waiver Program) that allows you to enter the country for up to 90 days for business or holiday purposes, but not to live here and especially not to work over here.

Here's a good starting point to understand what options you have:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

BTW, have you actually been to the US before? Even just as a tourist? As a two-times expat (first emigrated to the UK, then to the US) I can tell you that emigrating somewhere is not a decision one should take lightly.

RICH Aug 31st 2012 1:23 am

Originally Posted by emmawhitfield86 (Post 10256041)
Nope, I only have qualifications in ICT, not to a degree level but I am thinking of going to do my level 3 ICT Course so i can think about going to UNI before moving over there because with out a degree I don't think I would be able to get a job over there.

Or is there any other way?
Would like a bit of advice what is best to get a job here or over there or what? to actually get a green card etc? I have no family over there but i no people over there.

Now we are getting somewhere. A very friendly, single, working, male US Citizen perhaps?

emmawhitfield86 Aug 31st 2012 1:30 am

I am taken :). so that's a no go area.

fatbrit Aug 31st 2012 1:32 am

Originally Posted by emmawhitfield86 (Post 10256041)
Would like a bit of advice what is best to get a job here or over there or what?

You're not authorized to work over there. So here would be your only solution.

fatbrit Aug 31st 2012 1:33 am

Originally Posted by emmawhitfield86 (Post 10256060)
I am taken :). so that's a no go area.

So that's about it. We've covered family, money and skills. The pot's pretty well dry.

emmawhitfield86 Aug 31st 2012 1:36 am

What about when I finally get a job in the UK, what do i do then?. just save up as much as I can? and go from there?.

Sally Redux Aug 31st 2012 1:38 am

Originally Posted by emmawhitfield86 (Post 10256070)
What about when I finally get a job in the UK, what do i do then?. just save up as much as I can? and go from there?.

Did you read Tim's post (#7)?

fatbrit Aug 31st 2012 1:40 am

Originally Posted by emmawhitfield86 (Post 10256070)

If you can save half a million dollars at your job, you can buy a green card.

emmawhitfield86 Aug 31st 2012 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10256071)
Did you read Tim's post (#7)?

Thanks slow internet at the moment will read it now.