Reload this Page >

moving to america/canda etc

moving to america/canda etc

Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:45 am
Just Joined

emmawhitfield86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to america/canda etc

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
There is no "90 day visa" for the US if you're a UK citizen. What you're thinking of is the VWP (Visa Waiver Program) that allows you to enter the country for up to 90 days for business or holiday purposes, but not to live here and especially not to work over here.

Here's a good starting point to understand what options you have:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

BTW, have you actually been to the US before? Even just as a tourist? As a two-times expat (first emigrated to the UK, then to the US) I can tell you that emigrating somewhere is not a decision one should take lightly.
No but I am saving to go there as a tourist I have already planned that bit. I am new to all of this stuff. I will try and work out what options they are.

thanks for your help.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:50 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmawhitfield86
I am taken . so that's a no go area.
How does your other half figure in your plans?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:59 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sadly, you don't have many options. The US has an abundance of people who want to move here and a large number of voters who would be more than happy to put up barbed wire at the borders. The rules for visas to live and work here are incredibly strict, and basically fall into two categories: family, or essential workers.

Since you aren't married to a US citizen and likely not the son or daughter or sibling of one, the family route seems to be a non-starter.

Your certifications will hold little weight over here. Work experience, if in an essential field (think engineering, science, medicine) can make up for the lack of a university degree, but you'll need 12 years of experience in one of those fields.

If you are still willing to go to university, you could apply to study in the US. This is actually a pretty easy way to get in IF-IF-IF you can afford it. Basically you'll need to show the resources to support yourself during your studies. There is no set number for this but think probably about £25000-30000 per year of study. Maybe a bit less depending on the schools, but it is a significant amount.

You are, barring any arrests in your past, probably likely for a Visa Waiver to come to the US for a 90 day holiday. Perhaps you should look at a long term visit, like a month or so, to get a flavor of what life is really like over here (hint: better/worse and different from what you expect). Might be a good investment before you spend money on uni here or trying to enhance your credentials there for the purpose of coming over later. Quite frankly, you might not like it once you experience it up close.

Good luck with your quest.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice that might be something to look into rather than studying over here to move over there etc. My other half knows of my plans but not yet decided as we have only been together 3 years.

So my best plan would be to get a job here and save up to go to uni over there?.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your advice that might be something to look into rather than studying over here to move over there etc. My other half knows of my plans but not yet decided as we have only been together 3 years.

So my best plan would be to get a job here and save up to go to uni over there?.
As others have mentioned, Uni is very very expensive over here. A degree course will take 4 years to complete.
You might consider studying in the UK, getting a degree and then a job with a company that has offices in the US and after working for them for at least a year, see if you can get transferred. Long term plan, but probably the cheaper option and would give you and your partner longer to work out what you want to do.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lisa67
As others have mentioned, Uni is very very expensive over here. A degree course will take 4 years to complete.
You might consider studying in the UK, getting a degree and then a job with a company that has offices in the US and after working for them for at least a year, see if you can get transferred. Long term plan, but probably the cheaper option and would give you and your partner longer to work out what you want to do.
Thanks guys I will start to look into it I would have to get my A Levels first then get my Uni degree. As I don't have any A Levels. Will be a long process will be worth it.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:47 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a University degree in the UK and then consider coming to the US for a "Masters" degree, which is a one or two year course of study. After it is over you can get "practical work training" which gives you a work visa for basically a year. If you impress and our in the right field, you can push your employer to sponsor you for an H-1 (6 year visa) and eventually a green card (permanent resident).

I know, this is a long term plan, 6-8 years for so. But at the end of 8 years you'll at least have more of a choice than you have right now.

Good luck.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys I will start to look into it I would have to get my A Levels first then get my Uni degree. As I don't have any A Levels. Will be a long process will be worth it.
Why do you KNOW it will be worth it? What is it about USA/Canada that is attracting you? USA is not Hollywood. If it's the weather go to spain! (or somewhere)
It is a massive place and very diverse. Where exactly do you think you will go?
Even jobs that had healthcare covered quite well (think teacher) have constantly increasing personal contributions. When we left ours was coming towards $500 a month! That's $6000 a year. And our scheme was GOOD!
Go on an extended holiday (if you can save for it) and have in you mind what about living here? Look at estate agent pages. local craigslist for rentals and cars.
Then look at local job ads and see how they marry up (or not!)
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

look, we can dance around it all we like, but given the info at hand, you're not moving to america.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

OK, let's face some harsh realities here.

1. You don't even have A levels, but you want to get a degree? Not easy. Even if you do, the chances of a US company sponsoring you are slim to none.

2. You have no family here, so that route is closed.

3. You're unemployed, and even if you had a job, the chances of saving at least half a million dollars are slim to none, so THAT route is most likely closed!

4. You've never even VISITED the States or Canada, but you're sure it's for you! That's just about insane. It's not all 90210 or Disney, you know?

5. Let's just say all the stars align and you're able to come over. What makes you think that the grass is greener here? It's a LOT different living somewhere than it is going there on holiday.

Bottom line, and I'm sorry if this comes off harsh, unless you're prepared to ditch your other half and look for a USC to fall in love with and marry, forget it and concentrate on with building yourself a life in the UK!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I understand how much you want to move to America, but in all honesty I think you are much better off in the UK. I have lived over here for years. Things are tough unless you have a college education. I have no health or dental insurance and times are actually pretty grim. It looks great on t.v but to actually live here is a different story.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:14 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Canada and US have many superficial similarities, (as does the UK) and many differences, why do you link them together other than they both speak English (mostly) and are neighbours?
Old Sep 1st 2012, 12:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a change of scenery, why not some where else in the EU, where you won't need a visa?

What exactly is it about the US do you think is better/different?
Old Sep 1st 2012, 1:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shame you're not single or I would have snapped you up. You sound like a catch :-)
Old Oct 27th 2012, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel
I understand how much you want to move to America, but in all honesty I think you are much better off in the UK. I have lived over here for years. Things are tough unless you have a college education. I have no health or dental insurance and times are actually pretty grim. It looks great on t.v but to actually live here is a different story.
Morayeel is telling you the absolute truth, even educated Americans are having a hard time finding work here.

I doubt you could come here and live without someone officially supporting you, the American Government doesn't want you coming here and living off our welfare system.

I see many Americans pushing shopping carts and begging for money where I live, they are Homeless, This place is not exactly as people think, its a slave driven country for many people, our minimum wage is $7.25 per hour, thats lower than the UK's and you certainly cant exist on it.

The average vacation a person gets here is 10 days per year, did any of your friends tell you about that???, you may get 3-4-5 weeks off with a good job and a long time served with a company.

In the UK you have healthcare available to you everyday of your life, in the USA it costs real money, its very expensive and even then it only covers a portion for most of us, we have to make up the difference, even with medical insurance people go medically bankrupt, many jobs Don't come with medical insurance don't assume they do, 50 Million people have no health insurance here.

There are lots of pitfalls to our medical insurance system, too many for me to mention here...

Things that you take for granted in the UK cant be taken for granted here, assume Nothing, always ask questions no matter how stupid they sound....

Many people will tell you the good about America, but the truth is you need an education and a Great job in order to have a decent life here, Keep asking questions, and don't give up on the UK.

You didn't mention family, from what I see that's what people miss most, many people return to the UK for that reason, then again some are stuck here.

If you want to enjoy the USA, live in the UK and come here for 2-3 weeks vacation per year, it could be the best of both worlds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.