Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to America - any help appreciated.

Moving to America - any help appreciated.

Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

SanDiegoFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to America - any help appreciated.

Hello all,

I was just hoping for some help really from people that seem to know what they're talking about when it comes to Visas.

My partner wants to move to California to work in software. He has a degree in his field and over 10 years experience. He's hoping to find a job and get a Visa that way.

We aren't married and I understand that the US do not recognise common-law relationships when it comes to Visas, so what would be my best bet for obtaining a Visa myself? We're thinking of going for about three years, if that's possible.

I would love to get a degree in those three years but I need to look into applying as a mature student, etc.

With the information given, does anyone have any advice on what we should be doing, reading up on, etc?

Any help (and your time) is very much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America - any help appreciated.

Originally Posted by SanDiegoFan
Hello all,

I was just hoping for some help really from people that seem to know what they're talking about when it comes to Visas.

My partner wants to move to California to work in software. He has a degree in his field and over 10 years experience. He's hoping to find a job and get a Visa that way.

We aren't married and I understand that the US do not recognise common-law relationships when it comes to Visas, so what would be my best bet for obtaining a Visa myself? We're thinking of going for about three years, if that's possible.

I would love to get a degree in those three years but I need to look into applying as a mature student, etc.

With the information given, does anyone have any advice on what we should be doing, reading up on, etc?

Any help (and your time) is very much appreciated and thank you in advance.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. Every week we get 100s of questions just like yours....the answers are available on many threads/strings. But, to help you out......

You say your partner wants to move...do you?

1. You'll need to be married to each other. End of.

Or.

2. You'll both need to fulfill one of the criteria here (ie, both go through the process): http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Which visa do you think you might be eligible for?

I suspect H1B. Applications (which are made by the employer-to-be) open 1 April 2009 for jobs starting in Oct 2009.

Studying in the US will cost you thousands of pounds.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Oct 14th 2008 at 9:33 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:33 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Which visa do you think you might be eligible for?
it makes no difference either what they're eligible for either......

sponsorship and ascertaining the powers that be to relocate them at their expense is the difficult venture.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
it makes no difference either what they're eligible for either......

sponsorship and ascertaining the powers that be to relocate them at their expense is the difficult venture.
Of course.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help so far.

I do want to move, we've talked about it and I would love the opportunity but I wouldn't want to make it permanent. We've agreed to keep the house in the UK as selling up just isn't wise at the moment.

It looks like my partner would apply for the H1B - are software engineer/system architects in demand in around San Diego/San Jose? I would think that there are probably plenty of them? He has a lot of experience and is exceptional at what he does. He would like to work for Sun Microsystems ideally!

It looks like there is a possibility that I could apply for the F1 visa? I could certainly afford 10k on top of tuition fees with two years to save.

So much to look into! I really appreciate the help so far, so thanks for that. I will venture deeper into the forum.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:52 pm
@matthewb76

Thanks for the help so far.

I do want to move, we've talked about it and I would love the opportunity but I wouldn't want to make it permanent. We've agreed to keep the house in the UK as selling up just isn't wise at the moment.

It looks like my partner would apply for the H1B - are software engineer/system architects in demand in around San Diego/San Jose? I would think that there are probably plenty of them? He has a lot of experience and is exceptional at what he does. He would like to work for Sun Microsystems ideally!

It looks like there is a possibility that I could apply for the F1 visa? I could certainly afford 10k on top of tuition fees with two years to save.

So much to look into! I really appreciate the help so far, so thanks for that. I will venture deeper into the forum.
your partner would not apply for anything.

and if he's that good, how come he's not been headhunted yet?

I rate your chances at slim to bordering on nil.

good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The employer actually does all the application paperwork. So he needs to contact Sun and see if they will hire him. If so, they will begin the paperwork in April 2009, if he is lucky and gets a visa (it's a lottery these days, with so many applicants), then he can start work in October 2009.

He can apply all over the place, but until a company wants to sponsor him, he can't get the visa.

You can get your own separate student visa to come over on your own.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 14th 2008 at 9:59 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
your partner would not apply for anything.

and if he's that good, how come he's not been headhunted yet?

I rate your chances at slim to bordering on nil.

good luck.
Thank you.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The employer actually does all the application paperwork. So he needs to contact Sun and see if they will hire him. If so, they will begin the paperwork in April 2009, if he is lucky and gets a visa (it's a lottery these days, with so many applicants), then he can start work in October 2009.

He can apply all over the place, but until a company wants to sponsor him, he can't get the visa.

You can get your own separate student visa to come over on your own.

Rene
We would have a lot to organise, so we're aiming for 2010. I think contacting Sun would be a very good start. Thank you for the info.