Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to America

Moving to America

Old Mar 14th 2002, 10:05 am
Oliver P . Timm

Default Moving to America

I'm a Swiss computer professional (LAN/WAN networking, internet software developing).
I'm in the computer business for 12 years now. I'd like to move to the USA (Tampa or
Orlando FL area) with my family (wife and a 13 year old child).

Can anybody give me a hint, where to look for a job? Should I use the internet or is
it better to visit the country and looking for a job there? Will it be a problem
looking for a job while beeing in the USA under a (visitor) visa waiver?

Oliver

Old Mar 14th 2002, 5:05 pm
Thorsten

Default Re: Moving to America

"Oliver P. Timme" wrote:

> I'm a Swiss computer professional (LAN/WAN networking, internet software
    > developing). I'm in the computer business for 12 years now. I'd like to move to the
    > USA (Tampa or Orlando FL area) with my family (wife and a 13 year old child).

> Can anybody give me a hint, where to look for a job? Should I use the internet or
    > is it better to visit the country and looking for a job there?

It's really up to you. I'm sure you know how to find web sites for job seekers. If
nothing else, these sites can give you an idea about the job market in your targeted
area. Keep in mind though that many employers never use these sites. (Once you post
a job opening there, you will most likely be flooded by tons of bogus resumes and
other spam.)

I found web sites of local newspapers to be good resources, as they often list job
ads that appear in their print editions and many more employers advertise in their
local paper than on an nationwide job site.

> Will it be a problem looking for a job while being in the USA under a (visitor)
    > visa waiver?

No. It's perfectly okay to _look_ for a job while visiting the U.S. using the Visa
Waiver Program. Once you get a job offer, however, you'll have to return home and
wait a couple of weeks or months for the appropriate paperwork allowing you to apply
for your visa (most likely H1-B.) If you get an H1-B visa, you can bring your family,
but your wife won't be able to work, at least until you become permanent residents,
which (provided your employer sponsors you) can take anywhere between under a year to
several years.

Good luck, Thorsten