Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to america

Moving to america

Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to america

Originally Posted by ugacrew
It's extremely rare to see a sponsored position in the US unless it's a specialty one. Given his age, he doesn't have enough experience to qualify for that. His best bet is to work for a US company in the UK and impress them. You have to work your way through the industry on the inside unfortunately. You might want to try Cerner. I know they have an office there. That way you can see an intracompany transfer.
Doesn't have to be a US company...only has to have an office in the US.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:38 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Doesn't have to be a US company...only has to have an office in the US.
That too.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For an IT guy, the whooshooo google skills were lacking a bit....not that you had to try or anything, but as no one else has posted the link -

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA_

H1B ain't going to happen with out either a degree, or 12 years experience or a combination there of....so your options are, either a new career, get shit hot in a niche sector of IT, or marry a local bird....but your young, go to uni, get the degree, if you can't be arsed to do that, look at Canada or any other country that has a points system.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:41 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth noting that if you can find a way to get to a US university to study, you can stay here for a number of years while you pursue your degree (and perhaps, pursue a wife & a job). However, this is an expensive proposition as you will need to prove the ability to finance your studies in the US (along with living expenses, etc).

You may want to look at finding some scholarships and the like that will get you over to a US university. Once you are here living with the natives you can better assess if this is the place you want to stay and what your chances are.

I should note that at 19, without a Uni degree and without a great deal of experience in IT it would be really really difficult to come to the US on any sort of visa. The line for Indians and Chinese with PhD's is already much longer than there are spaces available.

But don't give up--look around some more and see if you can find a scholarship or perhaps hook up with some American gal studying abroad in London for a semester (really the easiest way).

NOTE: Please don't take the bit of cynicism we have personally. You have to understand this questions comes up nearly every single day (why the WIKI was created) and often times we get people who really haven't thought it all through. Don't take it too hard. The forum is like that to everyone.

Last edited by penguinsix; Apr 14th 2008 at 1:44 am.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by penguinsix
It's worth noting that if you can find a way to get to a US university to study, you can stay here for a number of years while you pursue your degree (and perhaps, pursue a wife & a job). However, this is an expensive proposition as you will need to prove the ability to finance your studies in the US (along with living expenses, etc).
Just to expand on this advice a little, when you come to the US on a student visa you are allowed to stay and work for a period of time for an employer after completion of your studies. This is known as OPT. Until recently the time allowed was 1 year but it has just been extended to 3 years. This would allow you to work for an employer and in principle allow you to get sponsored for an H1-B visa or even Green Card.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

lifez4living is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mooshooh! Sorry I can't give you any advice, but I just came across this site when looking for a new direction myself, and would like to say that although the advice you have been given to you may be realistic, it is also negative, and it sounds to me asthough people writing here are probably miserable old cynics, who are disillusioned with their own lives. if you want to move to America, find out more from better-informed and more helpful sources - a working holiday website, for example. There are probably plenty of opportunities for people, especially of your young age, out there. - Always follow your dreams! Good luck!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifez4living
although the advice you have been given to you may be realistic, it is also negative, and it sounds to me asthough people writing here are probably miserable old cynics, who are disillusioned with their own lives. if you want to move to America, find out more from better-informed and more helpful sources - Always follow your dreams! Good luck!

To be honest it really has nothing to do with the advice being from OLD or CYNICAL people, but more to do with it coming from EXPERIENCE and living the life over here...The question isn't a new one, there are lots of threads in the forum and WIKI articles that give exactly the same advice, if anyone wants to look for it.

Members will answer anyone that posts a question on here, but they will do it honestly and realistically, and obviously from their own experiences of actually living here!

I say, good luck to anyone that would like to move here, for whatever reason, but it doesn't do anyone any harm to realise, that it isn't as simple as just 'wanting it'. I find it fascinating that a majority of Brits will slam their own Country for allowing 'anybody' into their Country, using up tax payers money to house and feed them. Then they get a little miffed because the US doesn't just welcome them here with open arms and borders...Sorry, this is just my opinion, I am neither old nor cynical, I may be unusual, but I enjoy my life here (for the most part)

Good luck
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mooshooh! Sorry I can't give you any advice, but I just came across this site when looking for a new direction myself, and would like to say that although the advice you have been given to you may be realistic, it is also negative, and it sounds to me asthough people writing here are probably miserable old cynics, who are disillusioned with their own lives. if you want to move to America, find out more from better-informed and more helpful sources - a working holiday website, for example. There are probably plenty of opportunities for people, especially of your young age, out there. - Always follow your dreams! Good luck!
Stoner.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:05 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

I for one am deffo a negative and miserable old cynic.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
I for one am deffo a negative and miserable old cynic.
But you're not smoking the happy stuff.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:45 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Don't confuse negativity with not being spoon-fed what you want to hear.

Nice first post, btw. Welcome to BE.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mooshooh!
Ummm.... you responded to a year-old post.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 7:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mooshooh! Sorry I can't give you any advice, because I don't know anything about it myself but I just came across this site when looking for a new direction myself, and would like to say that although the advice you have been given to you may be realistic, it is also negative, and it sounds to me asthough people writing here are probably miserable old cynics, who are disillusioned with their own lives. But that's probably because they were using really big words that i didn't understand. if you want to move to America, find out more from better-informed and more helpful sources - a working holiday website, for example. There are probably plenty of opportunities for people, especially of your young age, out there. - Always follow your dreams! Good luck! And keep kissing those rainbows!!!Stay in school, and don't be a necroposter like me!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 9:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Odd thread to bring back to life...and errr...you might want to read up on the working holiday visa, which doesn't exist in the US, so it a none starter.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello lifez4living... Why would you expect people who have actually been through the immigration process to delude people as to how difficult it is?

What's the point? What's to gain by telling him that it'll be a snap when his options are realistically slim to none?

He's 19... So he's either going through college or just started university... Any other option and his chances are reduced even further and depend on the off chance of him marrying an American. Personally, as the idea of people marrying with the purpose of immigrating to another country is simply illegal, that would also be a bad idea.

So, what's left? He needs to finish a degree (possibly even a masters), get loads of work experience in the UK and then hope it's something that the US is in extreme need of in about ten years time and he can get a visa based on nobody else in the US being able to do that specific job.

Sure, have a dream, but why set your sights beyond what is humanly possible?... I have a dream that I can fly by flapping my arms and another where I'm invisible, but that doesn't mean they'll come true because they're simply not possible (or atleast highly improbable).

Oh forget it... I just noticed the date on the original thread.

Last edited by CitySimon; Apr 13th 2009 at 5:12 pm. Reason: Speeling corriction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.