British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to america (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-america-528897/)

mooshooh Apr 12th 2008 10:49 pm

Moving to america

Hi everyone, appologies if these questions have been asked before. I had a random idea today about moving to the USA as i really hate britain. I'd be looking to get a job in the IT sector, firstly how is this job sector over there?

Also, i'd like to have a trial over there to see how things get on, is it possible to get a work visa for maybe a year or so, and how easy would it be to get permanent status if things went well?

Also how easy is it to get a job without permanent status? If it's any help, i'm only 19 and would ideally be looking to move to one of the more tourist destinations. Any help would be kindly appreciated.

BritGuyTN Apr 12th 2008 10:53 pm

Re: Moving to america

Originally Posted by mooshooh (Post 6199847)
Hi everyone, appologies if these questions have been asked before. I had a random idea today about moving to the USA as i really hate britain. I'd be looking to get a job in the IT sector, firstly how is this job sector over there?

Also, i'd like to have a trial over there to see how things get on, is it possible to get a work visa for maybe a year or so, and how easy would it be to get permanent status if things went well?

Also how easy is it to get a job without permanent status? If it's any help, i'm only 19 and would ideally be looking to move to one of the more tourist destinations. Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Try and find an american girl to marry - thats pretty much you only hope based on the description of your circumstances

mooshooh Apr 12th 2008 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 6199856)
Try and find an american girl to marry - thats pretty much you only hope based on the description of your circumstances

Is it that bad?!

ugacrew Apr 12th 2008 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 6199856)

Or work for a company in the UK and hope for an intra-company transfer to a US office. Other than that the US Immigration Office is a hellish bureaucratic nightmare that's stacked against you since changes have been made since 9/11.

Elvira Apr 12th 2008 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by mooshooh (Post 6199847)

<<<sigh>>>

ugacrew Apr 12th 2008 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 6199871)
<<<sigh>>>

Oh to be 19 again Elvira.

mooshooh Apr 12th 2008 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 6199871)
<<<sigh>>>

Lol, i really do, i've been to america and i've been to dubai and wow, this country is that bad! I'm not to bothered about the sunshine to be honest...it's more about where i would rather spend my life and i know if i dont do it soon then i wont do it at all.

Elvira Apr 12th 2008 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6199874)
Oh to be 19 again Elvira.

:eek:

:blink:

:lol:

He'll learn...

mooshooh Apr 12th 2008 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 6199889)
:eek:

:blink:

:lol:

He'll learn...

Thanks for the useless information, i was expecting some advice but if all you can do is take the mick then i guess i should find somewhere else

Elvira Apr 12th 2008 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by mooshooh (Post 6199894)
Thanks for the useless information, i was expecting some advice but if all you can do is take the mick then i guess i should find somewhere else

Try Europe :)

Thydney Apr 12th 2008 11:09 pm

It's a fact of life. It's easier getting into a 40 year old virgins knickers on the first date than getting into the USA. IT are ten a penny and in surplus at the moment so they don't need you.

Elvira Apr 12th 2008 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 6199906)
......IT are ten a penny and in surplus at the moment so they don't need you.

Plus he doesn't have a degree, which would be a prerequisite (or 12+ relevant experience).

And even then they are still ten a penny...

(Incidentally, all this information is in the Wiki!)

mooshooh Apr 12th 2008 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 6199906)
It's a fact of life. It's easier getting into a 40 year old virgins knickers on the first date than getting into the USA. IT are ten a penny and in surplus at the moment so they don't need you.

Thankyou for some constructive advice, i wasn't too sure on the situation so i thought i'd ask. So thankyou again.

ugacrew Apr 12th 2008 11:12 pm

Brit and mine is really good advice. I'm not an expat but I've been on here long enough to know that the process is not easy by a long shot. Our immigration system is behind and very bureaucratic unlike the immigration systems between European Union states. Your expectations of receiving a temporary work visa is too high since we don't have anything like that here. Your best bet would be the following...

1.) Have an advanced uni degree in a field that's considered in demand. The IT industry isn't since there are more than enough people here that are citizens that are seeking the same employment.
2.) Find a US citizen to marry and move here. This process takes a while. Meaning months if not years.
3.) Find work with a company in the UK that also has offices here in the US. Once hired on, look for positions that the company is willing to transfer you to.

mooshooh Apr 12th 2008 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6199917)
Brit and mine is really good advice. I'm not an expat but I've been on here long enough to know that the process is not easy by a long shot. Our immigration system is behind and very bureaucratic unlike the immigration systems between European Union states. Your expectations of receiving a temporary work visa is too high since we don't have anything like that here. Your best bet would be the following...

1.) Have an advanced uni degree in a field that's considered in demand. The IT industry isn't since there are more than enough people here that are citizens that are seeking the same employment.
2.) Find a US citizen to marry and move here. This process takes a while. Meaning months if not years.
3.) Find work with a company in the UK that also has offices here in the US. Once hired on, look for positions that the company is willing to transfer you to.

I just felt that i wasn't being taken seriously because i am so young. Thankyou for the advice.