Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Alabama

Moving to Alabama

Old Jan 19th 2015, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Alabama

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Then parallel park between two cones you could have parked two buses in.
Woah, woah, parallel park? Sounds like you had a difficult one.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Simon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is all very reassuring haha.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

robert91266 is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to Alabama from England in 2012. You can use your British driving licence for the first 12 months, as you cannot get an Alabama licence until you become a permanent resident. I had to take a theory multiple choice test of around 30 questions, then take a practical test which consisted of a 5 minute drive which was very easy just normal driving and no special manoeuvres.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert91266
I moved to Alabama from England in 2012. You can use your British driving licence for the first 12 months, .....
Without further clarification that is incorrect. Per Alabama DMV website FAQs, you have 30 days after becoming a "resident" of Alabama. After becoming a "resident", if you drive after 30 days you risk being charged with driving without a valid license and driving without insurance (insurance is void without a valid license). In practice many people "get away with it", ..... unless they get involved in a major and/or fatal wreck, or for some other reason a police officer decides to throw the book at them. If you're involved a wreck and have no (or inadequate) insurance you risk being sued and, potentially, bankruptcy.

.... as you cannot get an Alabama licence until you become a permanent resident. .....
That may be correct, but be careful because it is possible to become "resident" for drivers license purposes in some states before you become a "permanent resident" for immigration purposes.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 9th 2015 at 9:46 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

I passed my test here in Alabama 3 months back, drive up road, controlled stop, reverse in straight line then 3 point turn, round the block and done.
This was done while on AOS from K1, still waiting for interview on AOS.
ALSO, the licence issued is TEMPORARY for one year, if i have not got GC through AOS in that year then you have to re-apply for licence, if i have got GC then i just renew the temporary one.
It is clearly marked on licence, TEMPORARY.

Last edited by Amie06; Feb 10th 2015 at 5:28 pm. Reason: Update
Old Jul 11th 2015, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

ChrisinAL is an unknown quantity at this point

Dunno about the license, got mine in CA and then just transferred it in to AL. What has been handy is when I moved to the US I got a copy of my driving record from the DVLA for a fiver. It's helped me as I drive trucks for a living and a lot of companies will take the exp into account once you get your CDL.

As for banks, I went to Wells Fargo and they gave me a checking ac on the spot
Old Jul 12th 2015, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Ditto for me in NYS, even longer ago. Though I seem to recall that there was a very brief written test and they did take my UK license.
You can no longer exchange your UK license in NY state. You now have to sit the written test, then 5 hrs compulsory class room instruction and finally the driving test.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 12:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Untitled 3
You can no longer exchange your UK license in NY state. You now have to sit the written test, then 5 hrs compulsory class room instruction and finally the driving test.
As far as we can tell on BE, the ONLY state in the US that will now swap a British license for a local one with only minimal formalities, is NJ.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 12th 2015 at 2:49 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 2:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Untitled 3
As has been stated on BE frequently. Take a close took -- the post you responded to was discussing what was possible over thirty years ago!
Old Jul 12th 2015, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
As has been stated on BE frequently. Take a close took -- the post you responded to was discussing what was possible over thirty years ago!
Thanks, I did read the pay before replying to it. I was merely trying to add some potentially helpful context to how much has changed.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Simon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amie06
I passed my test here in Alabama 3 months back, drive up road, controlled stop, reverse in straight line then 3 point turn, round the block and done.
This was done while on AOS from K1, still waiting for interview on AOS.
ALSO, the licence issued is TEMPORARY for one year, if i have not got GC through AOS in that year then you have to re-apply for licence, if i have got GC then i just renew the temporary one.
It is clearly marked on licence, TEMPORARY.
That all makes sense. Glad to hear it's an easy test
Old Jul 12th 2015, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

waff69 is an unknown quantity at this pointwaff69 is an unknown quantity at this pointwaff69 is an unknown quantity at this pointwaff69 is an unknown quantity at this pointwaff69 is an unknown quantity at this pointwaff69 is an unknown quantity at this pointwaff69 is an unknown quantity at this pointwaff69 is an unknown quantity at this pointwaff69 is an unknown quantity at this pointwaff69 is an unknown quantity at this pointwaff69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Even if you have to take a practical test...it's nothing like the UK test.

My daughter had to drive forward for abut 100 yds in an empty car park. Then parallel park between two cones you could have parked two buses in.

Alabama driving test is 2 part first part is multiple choice on computer second part is drive . I had to drive about 200 yards down road turn right reverse into side street and drive back to office about 5 minutes for road test about ten minutes for computer test . Also do eyesight test in the office . Did my test at the State Troopers office in Montgomery .