Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving advice needed

Moving advice needed

Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:26 am
Just Joined

DocMartyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving advice needed

I will be moving to Michigan State University, East Lansing, My children are 7 and a half and 6. We hope that this will be a permanent move. We will first move in to furnished, rented accommodation. We want to ship over the children's things and tapes, kitchen stuff. We will sell off our furniture e.t.c. What's the best way to send our c.d.'s toy's e.t.c?
Any other help we would be appreciated. Martyn (39 ½) and Pascale 42.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:48 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving advice needed

Originally posted by DocMartyn
I will be moving to Michigan State University, East Lansing, My children are 7 and a half and 6. We hope that this will be a permanent move. We will first move in to furnished, rented accommodation. We want to ship over the children's things and tapes, kitchen stuff. We will sell off our furniture e.t.c. What's the best way to send our c.d.'s toy's e.t.c?

Alarm bells are ringing when you say above that ..."We hope that this will be a permanent move".....

Which visa are you coming over on? Have you actually got it in writing that your employer (you are working for the university aren't you?) will actually sponsor you for a Green Card? (I guess you're not going to be a student).

Before you burn your bridges - please, please look at 'Honeymommy's' postings here. Her spouse was led to believe that his employer would sponsor them for Green Cards and it doesn't seem to have materialised. Their six year time limit on their visas is almost up and they may imminently have to return to the UK. Do read up on the thread titled "Help our desperate situation please - Urgent'.

If you do one day need to return to the UK, will you be able to afford to get back into the property market? Have you considered renting out your house?

Food for thought. :lecture:
Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

DocMartyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I Have a J1 visa, for one year, and I hope that you people will give me a way of sending "stuff" ti the US, in the cheapest possible way.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

GO BLUE!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I used Royal Mail, but I didn't have much stuff.
Is it even possible to get a Greencard from a J-1 visa? I thought there was a 2 year visa ban after it expired.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 9:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I Have a J1 visa, for one year, and I hope that you people will give me a way of sending "stuff" ti the US, in the cheapest possible way.
You could get a DHL "Jumbo Box" ; they deliver a large box to you (they come in various sizes) and you just fill to capacity. They then collect it from you and send it as air-freight to your destination.

You will need to go to the UK section of DHL.com and in the 'search' section type in "Jumbo Box". The prices should be online according to the size of box you want, but I know people who have sent Jumbo Boxes in the past and thought they were very reasonable and secure.

They don't seem to advertise it very much in the US, I think DHL isn't as well known here as FedEx and UPS, but I do see their large vans from time to time in my neighbourhood and I know that DHL operates in the UK.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 10:10 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

you could also try un-accompanied laggage.

are you coming fo 1 yr or you've got a one y visa?

renting furnished, means corporate let (dont know about uni accomodation). might be cheaper if you rented the furniture separately. that way you get more choice too.

dont sell your UK stuff unless you know of your outcome here in the US! 1 yr is a short time.