Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from Aberdeen to Houston. Where should we live?

Moving from Aberdeen to Houston. Where should we live?

Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving from Aberdeen to Houston. Where should we live?

Thanks for that! I've been told that this situation isn't that uncommon and that plans can easily change. Who knows, I could be back on board sooner rather than later!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

I moved with my family from Buckie to Houston in June this year. We scouted out various areas and plumped for Cinco Ranch. We bought a nice new house in a great area. We love it. My hubby works in the Galleria area, which is around a 20 min drive on the Westpark Tollway. North Dairy Ashford I think is north of the I-10. From my house which is Cinco South West, this would take me around 20 mins approx.

If you have kids, the schools here are great. My son is in 4th grade and he loves it. For a wee boy fae Buckie, he has settled in just fine.

I have made friends with my neighbours already.

Don't listen to the negative comments. Compared to Aberdeen, this place is just fantastic.

Good luck!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
I moved with my family from Buckie to Houston in June this year. We scouted out various areas and plumped for Cinco Ranch. We bought a nice new house in a great area. We love it. My hubby works in the Galleria area, which is around a 20 min drive on the Westpark Tollway. North Dairy Ashford I think is north of the I-10. From my house which is Cinco South West, this would take me around 20 mins approx.

If you have kids, the schools here are great. My son is in 4th grade and he loves it. For a wee boy fae Buckie, he has settled in just fine.

I have made friends with my neighbours already.

Don't listen to the negative comments. Compared to Aberdeen, this place is just fantastic.

Good luck!
Buckie? Buckinghamshire by chance?!

And we're in Cinco SW too lol. Small world!

Ahhh ... just read the rest of your post. Wee boy fae Buckie sounds a tad Scottish to me lol, so that'll not be the Home Counties!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:31 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

What a shame Julie - never mind though as you said things may change - we were offered Norway and Singapore before moving here.

Tell you what though if you do move I have changed my mind about Cinco & Katy - they are obviously overcrowded (ukintextas, lazzza & mandana ) move to Pearland instead I'm lonely down here all by myself
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:31 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
What a shame Julie - never mind though as you said things may change - we were offered Norway and Singapore before moving here.

Tell you what though if you do move I have changed my mind about Cinco & Katy - they are obviously overcrowded (ukintextas, lazzza & mandana ) move to Pearland instead I'm lonely down here all by myself
Lol Babz - you need to follow the crowd and get your butts to Cinco!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving from Aberdeen to Houston

I'm from stonehaven too, and would definitely love to meet up if/when...! We are still looking at rentals on line as things do seem to be up in the air and anything could happen.

I have had a good chuckle at Buckie being Buckinghamshire!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from Aberdeen (Portlethen) 2 months ago.

Compared to Aberdeen, YES, you'll like it here.

People believe that Katy is the THE THE place to live. We actually hated the commute (my husband works off Dairy Ashford too, and the Eldridge/DA exit is truly 20 times more congested than any day on the Bridge of Dee. We also went house hunting there one day and hit the 'pick up' time for the schools - it was 45 minutes back to DAshford.

Katy is for families and kids. We don't have kids and are a young married as well. Katy isn't for renting, either.

Look at Town and Country (the Lofts, a few other very nice condos/flats with amenities.) Also a few places along Eldridge are nice too (like San Paloma, we stayed there for some time, as do many from my husband's company.) From there, great pubs, restaurants, etc. are to be found! We primarily go to Town and Country (Yard House is a great place) - and near 6 and Memorial is Watson's pub (owned by Baker Street pub in Katy.)

Personally, I don't think Katy will fit the bill for your lifestyle.

A number of folks from my husband's company who are young and/or single live out in the Heights and communte against the flow downtown (yoru husband would be going against the downtown traffic).

Avoid Alief and Westchase - the prices are attractive...but you get what you pay for.

We live 5 miles or so up Eldridge - Twin Creeks, Lakes of Eldridge (and LoEldridge North, more upscale and full of oil folks) - perfect 5-10 minute commute and still close to everything.

Don't let folks tell you that Katy is an easy commute. If you have kids and the schools are vitally important, then look into Katy, by all means.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome,

I work at I-10/Dairy Ashford and live out in Katy. We have two young kids and were drawn to Katy because of the schools and all the kid-friendly facilities they have out there. I'm not sure I'd live in Katy if I didn't have kids.

My colleagues in the office live in all sorts of places from the Heights, Sugarland to apartments off Kirby. My commute is similar but perhaps slightly worse as they all enjoy at least a bit of reverse commuting against the I-10 traffic. My longest commute has been 40 mins and normally under 30.

There are plenty of gated apartment communities that are closer to the city and more sociable/fun, if that is what you are looking for. Definitely come and have a visit....

Cheers,

Doug.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Your comments have been great. It looks like we are steering clear of Katy now and looking more towards apartment communities. There seems to be a few options for us for renting. It is really difficult to get a feel of where exactly by just looking online, but we like the look of San Paloma.

At the moment the contract would be for 6 -12 months (If it happens! We are still being kept on hold!). We were looking at fully furnished apartments but have seen there is the option to rent furniture. I would never have thought of that!

Is it a 'done' thing to rent furniture or is it just as easy to rent a fully furnished apartment?.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 4:02 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

When we first moved over we rented an apartment for 6 months and furniture from a company called Cort - I was surprised at how nice everything was - we rented everything down to tea towels and cutlery (silverware to my US chums!). I know there are a few companies that do this - Aarons is another one.

When our container arrived from the UK we put the lot in storage until our house was finished being built and that saved us doing another 'move'. Of course we were in the fortunate position of handing the bills to hubby's work.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 4:14 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

Nobody has mentioned the fact that you need wheels as well. Houston is not public transport friendly. So if DH is in work all day, you'll need to be mobile or you will go insane and DH will have a tough time!

Old Sep 25th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - we rented for a long while at San Paloma. Nice place - mostly singles, young couples and urban feel. Great pool and workout room. They have a sister property further down Eldridge that is for larger townhouses (some with garage attached) and that one tends to cater more to families. They even have a kid area in the pool. So we went with the San Paloma. We quite liked it there. It was gated, near everything and nice folks all around.

We had Murphy's Corporate Lodging for ourselves, which included cleaners who came every 2 weeks. Ask for Frannie. These were furnished with Corporate Settings. Great stuff, high quality. A few folks I know went with Cort (I saw a lot of Cort trucks in and out of San Paloma) who rented privately.

Cort has nice stuff too. By the way, the sell the used Cort items (high end for less!) at their outlet on Kempwood, including office furniture as they rent that too. Pick up Herman Miller stuff at half the price, and hardly used. Ask for Joanna.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

we had thought about the need for a car each. I'm a bit concerned about driving on the other side of the road. take some getting used to!

I'm feeling a lot more confident about the move now. my hubby will be out there before me since I will have to work more notice for my job than he does. His deal hasn't been finalised yet so I won't hand my notice in just yet! It means he will have a week or two to suss things out more carefully before I get there.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 7:21 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

How long until Mr Mortage advert gets deleted
I thought it would be difficult with the driving, but it's actually not that bad. I didn't drive that much in the UK and still found I was able to get to the grocery shop on my own after being here a few days. Haven't managed a freeway on my own yet as I'm still getting used to the satnav directions, but it'll come.
Good luck to you!
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:19 am
Just Joined

Julia_10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I too will be moving out to Houston soon. I have a job in the Uptown/Galleria area. Anyone have an idea of what apartments and social activities are like in that area ? I will be by myself and at least to start wont have a car. The company I will be working for will prvide 3 mths accomm - not sure where as yet (hopefully close to work)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.