Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving in 9 days...

Moving in 9 days...

Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

NashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud of
Default Moving in 9 days...

OK, so it has been a hectic 8 months, but I am due to leave the UK for a new life with my finace in just 9 days!!!!!!!! Now we are in single digits it is all becoming a little overwhelming!

I have just a little question or two!

We plan on marrying within the given 90 days, apply for the AOS and all that goes with it. We plan on coming to the UK for a visit in July next year. I am assuming that I can leave the USA for a holiday, or are there any restrictions?

Also, I am trying to work out if I can get 'Pantene Aqua Light' shampoo and conditioner in the USA. Random I know, but I just love that stuff! hehe

Thanks.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving in 9 days...

Good luck to you, its an exciting adventure!! - i'm hoping to move in about 6 weeks, and i'm struggling to get to grips with how much sorting and shedding of stuff i need to do!!

It sounds like you will probably have successfully adjusted status by July so should be able to travel freely with no problems, and i believe you can get papers that authorise you for re-entry during the adjustment period anyway... hopefully someone highly knowledgeable will confirm? Myself, i'm planning on getting married asap when i arrive, because I am supposed to bring my boys back for a visit with their Dad in February, so am obviously hoping we can travel by then.

Have you shipped all your bits and bobs over to the US?

Again congratulations and good luck, isnt it exciting now its really hapenning!!!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wheretostart
:We plan on marrying within the given 90 days, apply for the AOS and all that goes with it. We plan on coming to the UK for a visit in July next year. I am assuming that I can leave the USA for a holiday, or are there any restrictions?
Part of the AOS paperwork is form I-131 for Advance Parole, which is a travel document allowing you to leave the USA without abandoning your AOS process. It takes about 60 days to get that in hand after filing AOS. It's good to have this even if you don't plan to travel, just in case of any emergency situation. My opinion is that by July 2011 you will have your green card anyway, and won't need to worry about traveling.

Also, I am trying to work out if I can get 'Pantene Aqua Light' shampoo and conditioner in the USA. Random I know, but I just love that stuff! hehe
I know we have Pantene products, I like them too. "Aqua Light" doesn't sound familiar, but then again I don't pay that much attention to the "type" of Pantene I buy...I just buy whatever is on sale. lol

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

NashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Madelina
Good luck to you, its an exciting adventure!! - i'm hoping to move in about 6 weeks, and i'm struggling to get to grips with how much sorting and shedding of stuff i need to do!!

It sounds like you will probably have successfully adjusted status by July so should be able to travel freely with no problems, and i believe you can get papers that authorise you for re-entry during the adjustment period anyway... hopefully someone highly knowledgeable will confirm? Myself, i'm planning on getting married asap when i arrive, because I am supposed to bring my boys back for a visit with their Dad in February, so am obviously hoping we can travel by then.

Have you shipped all your bits and bobs over to the US?

Again congratulations and good luck, isnt it exciting now its really hapenning!!!
Thanks for the info! We too are plannning on getting married as soon as I get out there, more to get the paper work out of the way and make sure we can leave in July!

As for packing, I had it kind of simple! I was living abroad with my fiance and only really came home for the visa stuff, so only have a couple of suitcases with of stuff, we shipped all of our bulky stuff to the states already.

It seems like you have a lot more to deal with than me, good luck with everything, and hope the move goes well with the kids!
x
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Part of the AOS paperwork is form I-131 for Advance Parole, which is a travel document allowing you to leave the USA without abandoning your AOS process. It takes about 60 days to get that in hand after filing AOS. It's good to have this even if you don't plan to travel, just in case of any emergency situation. My opinion is that by July 2011 you will have your green card anyway, and won't need to worry about traveling.

I know we have Pantene products, I like them too. "Aqua Light" doesn't sound familiar, but then again I don't pay that much attention to the "type" of Pantene I buy...I just buy whatever is on sale. lol

Rene
Thanks for the info! As always, it is much appreciated.
x
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't have a problem with leaving the US for a holiday in July, 2011. AOS is rather quick these days and it is almost assured that your AOS interview will be held long before July 2011 if you apply before the 1st of the year. If it hasn't been scheduled by that time, you will have the Advance Parole document via form I-131 that is completed and sent at the same time as the I-485 and other documents, so you will have permission to travel and return to the US.

Congratulations on your success to date and premature Welcome to America.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
You shouldn't have a problem with leaving the US for a holiday in July, 2011. AOS is rather quick these days and it is almost assured that your AOS interview will be held long before July 2011 if you apply before the 1st of the year. If it hasn't been scheduled by that time, you will have the Advance Parole document via form I-131 that is completed and sent at the same time as the I-485 and other documents, so you will have permission to travel and return to the US.

Congratulations on your success to date and premature Welcome to America.
Thanks, I will get all the paperwork in ASAP to avoid an problems.