moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

sue rae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

Originally Posted by Bob
And?

You are bringing an animal from a country that is safe from rabies to one that is not, there fore if it isn't fit for the jab, it's probably best not brought over here.

Whilst I agree it isnt the best scenario ... my vet says it isnt safe for my older dog to have the shot ! I do agree with the comments that others have raised and YES it is a MAJOR source of concern My husband and I have three contacts in OC (VETS ) that are understanding that the rabies shot would cause neg implications and possible earlier demise ! from that "shot " !
We have advised the vet of what type of lifestyle our dog will be having as in the same as here being walked on lead and inside our "condo" or in the "yard" with us ! and the USA VET aswell as the UK VET ! say the EXPOSURE to RABID livestock or BATS RACOONS FOXES etc will be very very slight !
Thankyou "Bob " understand your comments ! but find them a little abrasive !but do understand the logic behind them
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:45 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been told by the California food and drug people that your dog would be allowed into the US without the proof of the rabies blood test? I'm just a bit concerned that if you don't have it in writing from them that you might get off your flight and find they won't let your dog into the country, which would be heart breaking.
The lovely cabin crew on our flight came to give us updates every so often on Sam. It was very sweet of them. They told us at security before we boarded that he was about to be loaded and was fine and happy. Then various people came over during the flight to tell us he was okay. One of them made me laugh as she said usually they are transporting things like race horses worth a few million pounds, so their owners like to be kept updated!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Weeze, I am glad KLM were very good with you and your hubby but I have a feeling that may depend on what class of cabin you are in. I had to ask and ask again for every bit of information on my dog. We were not a company move so had to pay for every single penny of the move ourselves, hence I was in steerage!!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue rae
Whilst I agree it isnt the best scenario ... my vet says it isnt safe for my older dog to have the shot ! I do agree with the comments that others have raised and YES it is a MAJOR source of concern My husband and I have three contacts in OC (VETS ) that are understanding that the rabies shot would cause neg implications and possible earlier demise ! from that "shot " !
We have advised the vet of what type of lifestyle our dog will be having as in the same as here being walked on lead and inside our "condo" or in the "yard" with us ! and the USA VET aswell as the UK VET ! say the EXPOSURE to RABID livestock or BATS RACOONS FOXES etc will be very very slight !
Thankyou "Bob " understand your comments ! but find them a little abrasive !but do understand the logic behind them
It doesn't matter what the vet says...have you actually been told from the FDA that your dog doesn't require a rabies shot?

BTW I think you are having problems with your caps lock key...it keeps sticking.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as a famous Californian once said, you have to ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?" One evening I opened the door to let the dogs out and a bat sailed in; before I could do anything it was on the floor and a dog pounced. Happily, the dog was protected and the bat was healthy . . . but it was a scary moment, and goes to show you never know what is around the corner.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:13 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Chumly I suspect you are correct with that. Although, the folk at security I think would have told us regardless. I like to picture Sam getting champagne on take off!
I forgot to say, someone was suggesting icing the water and a feeding bottle arrangement. When Sam went into excess baggage (yes he really did!) in Aberdeen, the baggage handlers had to check everything under the security measures so that wouldn't have worked for us. I think it probably depends on which airport you are using.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It doesn't matter what the vet says...have you actually been told from the FDA that your dog doesn't require a rabies shot?

BTW I think you are having problems with your caps lock key...it keeps sticking.

I think this is the vital part right here. I would check with every CA authority you can think of, including Customs. DO NOT just take a vets word for it especially an English vet. With all the good will in the world, they just don't know. My vet didn't really know about Heart Worms until I told him about them.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

From what I had read all dogs over 4 months of age must have a rabies shot be in admitted into California. You may want to call the number I provided to get confirmation that your dog will be admitted without the shot.

"All dogs over four (4) months of age must have a certificate of current rabies vaccination. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, is recommended.

For more information about rabies contact the California Department of Public Health- Veterinary Public Health Services at (916) 552-9740."
Old Aug 5th 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have to say that Sue Rae has my sympathies along with everyone elses I am sure. It's bad enough worrying about shipping your pet but to have this to deal with as well has to be a nightmare.

Does anyone know of any State that will let you in without a Rabies shot?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 9:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
I have to say that Sue Rae has my sympathies along with everyone elses I am sure. It's bad enough worrying about shipping your pet but to have this to deal with as well has to be a nightmare.

Sympathies yes but there comes a point where you have to accept the fact that you can't circumvent the law...no matter how much you would like to.

AFAIK all US states require rabies shots for dogs...including California. The same also applies if you try to take a dog into Canada...I have often been asked to produce my dog's rabies certificate by both Canadian and US Immigration Officers.

This is what I found from the CDFA for Cali....

"Dogs (domestic): The dog must be free of contagious diseases. All dogs over four (4) months of age must have a certificate of current rabies vaccination which states the type, manufacturer lot number of vaccine and the date of administration. Please check with airline for additional requirements (ie. Acclimation Certificate Statement). For any questions regarding rabies vaccination requirement please contact the Department of Public Health at (916) 552-9740. "

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/FAQS.html

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 5th 2011 at 9:48 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 9:59 pm

I have been googling as well. It sounds like everything else to do with official governments bodies, ie a nightmare! Centre for disease control in general seems to suggest you can get them in, but then gives the usual get outs about states decisions and airlines decisions. I think all you can do is call the number Jerseygirl has found for advice and then get them to put it in writing. I have put the stuff I found below incase it is useful.
Good luck with your move and please let us know how you got on with it all. I'm sure other people would be interested who may find themselves in a similar position.

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html
Unvaccinated dogs must be vaccinated within 4 days of arrival at their final U.S. destination and within 10 days of entry into the United States, and must be kept in confinement for at least 30 days after the date of vaccination.

Importation of Dogs from Rabies-free Countries
Unvaccinated dogs may be imported without a requirement for proof of rabies vaccination if they have been located for a minimum of 6 months or more in countries that are free of rabies.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

JMOT is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI, just had this back from the shipping company we contacted off British Airways website about shipping our 2x mutts to LA...

Good morning Tom

Thank you for your email

Please do not worry. These days many of the airlines have air conditioned vans that collect the animals from the plane and so there will not be a problem when your dog lands. We send pets to LA all the year round and your pet will travel out with either BA or Virgin.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Jackie

Jackie I'anson

PetAir UK Travel Consultant
www.petairuk.com

She's been very helpful thus far and the quote was £1600 for the Gold service for each dog.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 9:21 am
Just Joined

sue rae is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1chumly

Thanx for your post ! Answer!
We had a list of rabies vaccines accepted by California and took it to the vets for our youger dog None !!! were availble here ! so if my Girl had an rabies jab here (as was planned) she would have to have another in California in so therefore a double dose .
We are going to a vets in Oc when we arrive to get an innoculation and proper info for my older gsd .
Yes really very fraught more so for the dogs than our move
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are you flying on a non-stop flight? Will CA be your first stop?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

AntMcG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi anyone out ther with advice on moving two gsds to usa ?we have an elderly 12 and half year old boy and a 3 yr old girl hope to be state side late sept ! thanx
All good advice. We're moving to California with two Leonbergers (giant mountain dogs). We're flying Virgin, who do allow us to ship ourselves - the crates have to be the right size - and you can get info about how to measure from an animal exporter. They will try to sell you their own handmade crates too... We called all over trying to sort out vaccinations, etc. All need to be microchipped, have rabies shots and normal vaccinations documented by your vet (Export Health Certificate). California is very lenient, but you also have to abide by the USFDA (updated shots and rabies 30+ days before travel) and the airline regulations.
With our giant breeds, we've been quoted £2500 for both on Virgin to LA.
Good luck!
Ant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.