Reload this Page >

moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

Old Aug 8th 2011, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

JMOT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

Originally Posted by AntMcG
With our giant breeds, we've been quoted £2500 for both on Virgin to LA.
Good luck!
Ant
Who with please?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

AntMcG is an unknown quantity at this point

That price was obtained from with Virgin direct, who seem pretty helpful. It all depends on dates of travel and the size of crate. (Vari Crate seem a good make).
Old Aug 8th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

JMOT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AntMcG
That price was obtained from with Virgin direct, who seem pretty helpful. It all depends on dates of travel and the size of crate. (Vari Crate seem a good make).
Ant

Are you handling the paperwork, vets and entry requirements yourself?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

AntMcG is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the plan - to do it ourselves. Taking the dogs in really does seem quite straightforward (very different to my own visa!)

Please be aware that my advice/comments are not from an expert - we. like you, are just finding out what the options are. However, here's what I've learned so far...

Firstly, the vet is easy - just get their records up to date. (Ours have had rabies shots already, so are virtually ready to go).

Paperwork/Shipping - w're planning to do it ourselves (and would prefer that, just so we can keep in control - and see them as long as possible up until the flight). It all is rather daunting - until you realise the airlines have special departments that deal with this all day. I've spoken to 'agents' but to use them, apparently you have to take the dogs to their location first (e.g. Midlands). So, we'll probably be going direct, which is cheaper too.

When you get to USA, apparently they are delivered to a special area in the airport arrivals hall and after a simple check, you take them with you there and then.

Good luck with everything...
Old Aug 8th 2011, 2:17 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Vari crate is good. Ours was waiting in his crate by excess baggage! Then when we were in the queue for fruits/vegetables questions they took us off to a side room. 5 mins later we were on our way. Our vet advised us to get sam's id on his collar to confirm microchipped (uk) so if ge is ever lost they will use the right scanner. As well as the info you have to stick on the crate (the live animals stickers and things) we taped confirmation of his flight bookings and rabies, just to be overly cautious!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

sue rae is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weeze
Have you been told by the California food and drug people that your dog would be allowed into the US without the proof of the rabies blood test? I'm just a bit concerned that if you don't have it in writing from them that you might get off your flight and find they won't let your dog into the country, which would be heart breaking.
The lovely cabin crew on our flight came to give us updates every so often on Sam. It was very sweet of them. They told us at security before we boarded that he was about to be loaded and was fine and happy. Then various people came over during the flight to tell us he was okay. One of them made me laugh as she said usually they are transporting things like race horses worth a few million pounds, so their owners like to be kept updated!
Yes ! been in contact with border control and also vets in oc 1
Old Aug 8th 2011, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

sue rae is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It doesn't matter what the vet says...have you actually been told from the FDA that your dog doesn't require a rabies shot?

BTW I think you are having problems with your caps lock key...it keeps sticking.
Thankyou guess you feel my caps lock key for emphasising was over zealous !?
Yes have been advised by border control dogs can enter without the Rabies innoc and we can then take their details to our Vet in O C to have the youngest innoc and the "waiver" granted for our older boy !
Thanks ever so for your input !
Old Aug 8th 2011, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

I am glad it is all working out for you.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Malamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really nice

Thank you for this, there's been some wonderful info on here like freezing the water, never thought of that! Had no clue that Ba don't allow you do it yourself and I heard some bad feedback from someone who shipped two samoyeds with virgin.

This forum has proved far more useful than any pet forum i've been on asking for help