Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving 2 dogs to usa in sept

Originally Posted by sue rae
thanx for all the replys !! will re investigate and chat properly and again with the Vet just got a listing from internet with regard to which rabies vac is considered ok if we do it here !
My older boy is going to have a waiver cos of his auto immune probs and rabies innoc could damage his health and make probs worse for him all a bit worrying !!!!
Do you mean a waiver for your dog not to have the rabies shot at all? If so I thought all dogs in the US had to have the shot. Check if a waiver is acceptable with your state and at the airport where you are landing.

AFAIK if your dog hasn't had the appropriate rabies shot...the vet in attendance at the US airport will administer it. Has anyone actually brought a dog into the US and had the rabies shot after they arrived?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:30 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Our immigration official didn't check the rabies paperwork as the first thing we gave her was the UK pet passport. As soon as she saw he was from the UK she said she wasn't bothered about the rabies paperwork. The requirements for bringing into Texas were that they had to have the rabies vaccine and have the bloodwork test to prove it had been successful.

I would worried about not having my dog treated anyway, both for them and the family. We were told by the vet to have a copy of the paperwork in the car just incase as if they bite another dog (or worse) you need to prove they are rabies free. Jerseygirl, I didn't think it was a legal requirement for all dogs to be treated, but I think each state decides how they will deal with untreated dogs.

Sue Rae, my dog has a heart condition but he still had the rabies vaccine. We thought the thread of rabies was worse than a potential side effect. Thankfully he was fine. We found it best to do as much research as possible ourselves and then tell the vet.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Our immigration official didn't check the rabies paperwork as the first thing we gave her was the UK pet passport. As soon as she saw he was from the UK she said she wasn't bothered about the rabies paperwork. The requirements for bringing into Texas were that they had to have the rabies vaccine and have the bloodwork test to prove it had been successful.

I would worried about not having my dog treated anyway, both for them and the family. We were told by the vet to have a copy of the paperwork in the car just incase as if they bite another dog (or worse) you need to prove they are rabies free. Jerseygirl, I didn't think it was a legal requirement for all dogs to be treated, but I think each state decides how they will deal with untreated dogs.

Sue Rae, my dog has a heart condition but he still had the rabies vaccine. We thought the thread of rabies was worse than a potential side effect. Thankfully he was fine. We found it best to do as much research as possible ourselves and then tell the vet.
I have a tiny 3 1/2 lb chihuahua. Because some Chi's are so small I read that shots are given reluctantly...my vet confirmed this. My older King Charles Cavalier had a health problem and my vet wouldn't give her the normal annual shots...but both dogs had to have the rabies shot.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:45 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness, how many words did my iPad change in that post?

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:46 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

We thought the threat of rabies was worse than a potential side effect. .
Very, very true! If an unvaccinated pet comes into contact with a creature that is even only potentially rabid, the consequences are devastating.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have a tiny 3 1/2 lb chihuahua. Because some Chi's are so small I read that shots are given reluctantly...my vet confirmed this. My older King Charles Cavalier had a health problem and my vet wouldn't give her the normal annual shots...but both dogs had to have the rabies shot.
Mine is a border collie. He had double dew claws that had to be removed and a heart condition. We joke that he must have been slightly inbred. Guess that's what you get from farm dogs! His heart beat is regularly irregular. Whenever he goes to a new vet they all want a listen as they haven't heard one before. He spent an hour yesterday afternoon playing picnics with my toddler. I'm not sure he would have been cut out for farm life!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If the dog is to unfit for a rabies jab, seriously consider not bringing the dog...it's not a pleasant way to go and rabies is everywhere over here.

It would be more humane.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:18 am
Just Joined

sue rae is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
If the dog is to unfit for a rabies jab, seriously consider not bringing the dog...it's not a pleasant way to go and rabies is everywhere over here.

It would be more humane.

There has is been a HUGE campaign in USA for rabies waiver for animals (pets) that are "unfit" for rabies innoculation such as my dog like my research that has been well resourced

See this link for further details
http://www.aimeeslaw.com/2011/01/tru...mption-in.html
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:45 am
Just Joined

sue rae is an unknown quantity at this point

There has is been a HUGE campaign in USA for rabies waiver for animals (pets) that are "unfit" for rabies innoculation such as my dog like my research that has been well resourced

also"Mollys law " in Sacramento CA the exemption waiver has passedthe senate comittee !!!!! (unanimously) !!!!!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Sue76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue,

It's much easier to bring pets into the US than it is to bring them into the UK, as far as the paperwork and requirements. I am shocked at the costs being quoted by some people here. I just moved my 2 dogs from the USA to West Africa. I flew with Delta airlines, and I was charged $200 or $250 each. They are counted as baggage, so whatever the excess baggage fee is, that's what I paid. The American airlines don't charge as much. I did lots of research to try to avoid putting them in cargo, and if I were you, I would take the QM2. Depending on when you book, the tickets from Southampton to NY aren't as expensive as you'd think, and your dogs will not be in the cargo hold of an airplane, which is extremely stressful and frightening for them. Stay a day or two in NY to make a little tour out of it, and you can have them flown via Pet Airways to your final destination. Pets fly in the cabin, and they have flight attendants to tend to them.

If you do decide to stick them in cargo on a passenger plane, get a large drip bottle, like for hamsters, except for dogs so that they have water. Also get a water bowl made for the travel crates, but freeze the water in it and attach it just before your flight. If you just put regular water in it, it will not even make it into the plane without spilling out, and they will have no water. DO NOT expect or trust the baggage handlers to take care of your pet. I watched them load my dogs while in the crates, and they tilted the crate 90 degrees backside down to get it on the baggage cart before loading them into the plane. No doubt any water in it would have completely spilled out, and my dogs would have been without water for the 14 hour flight. The frozen water will slowly melt so they will have water during the flight. Remember, they will be panting hard from being so frightened and stressed out, so they will need more water than usual. It's not the same as sitting in your house for 14 hours without water.

Think really hard about the QM2. If you are prepared to pay thousands of dollars according to some of the quotes here just to fly them in cargo, why wouldn't you pay the same amount to take the QM2 where you all will enjoy it?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how "huge" this is . . . but the fact remains that rabies is prevalent and dangerous to man and beast. If you are willing to take the risk of contact with a potentially rabid creature, so be it, as long as you are aware of the consequences.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

There is normally a long waiting list as there are only a few kennels on board the QM2. The OP is travelling next month...normally people have to book kennels a year or more in advance. Saying that...there is always the chance of picking up a cancellation.

When travelling to the US...if you have small pets (under 10/15 lbs) some airlines will allow you to take your pets in the cabin.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

This is what is on the State of California Department of Food and Agriculture website regarding entry requirements:

California Entry Requirements For Dogs:

All dogs over four (4) months of age must have a certificate of current rabies vaccination. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, is recommended.

For more information about rabies contact the California Department of Public Health- Veterinary Public Health Services at (916) 552-9740.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Sue76
No doubt any water in it would have completely spilled out, and my dogs would have been without water for the 14 hour flight. The frozen water will slowly melt so they will have water during the flight. Remember, they will be panting hard from being so frightened and stressed out, so they will need more water than usual. It's not the same as sitting in your house for 14 hours without water.
Again, I can only go from our experience with KLM. Sam arrived clean, happy and with water. lots of folk have horror stories with pets, mine was fine.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And?

You are bringing an animal from a country that is safe from rabies to one that is not, there fore if it isn't fit for the jab, it's probably best not brought over here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.